Toast Welcome to Freo Jye Amiss!!! (pick 8 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Done some digging here and tbh it makes the worries about his kicking a little less for mine.

Jye is accurate because he generates good shots on goal - not because he is a good kick for goal.

Interestingly even last year he was a subpar set shot for the looks on goal he had.

In 2023 he had 48 set shots.
Expected score from shots: 4.03 (8th highest for KPFs)
Rating: -0.10

In 2024 he has had 23 set shots.
Expected score from shots: 4.03 (5th highest for KPFs)
Rating: -0.75

I think this worry about his goalkicking accuracy may be a function of the fact there is more media attention on him than anything else. The difference between him and the expected score for his shots is approximately 3 goals that he's missed this season.

I think the real positive part about all this is he is continuing to generate good shots on goal and is performing that at an increased rate if you account for the concussion game against the Eagles.

He's also currently the 4th best key forward for winning % of 1 on 1 contests in the league.

That really excites me.

Done some digging here and tbh it makes the worries about his kicking a little less for mine.

Jye is accurate because he generates good shots on goal - not because he is a good kick for goal.

Interestingly even last year he was a subpar set shot for the looks on goal he had.

In 2023 he had 48 set shots.
Expected score from shots: 4.03 (8th highest for KPFs)
Rating: -0.10

In 2024 he has had 23 set shots.
Expected score from shots: 4.03 (5th highest for KPFs)
Rating: -0.75

I think this worry about his goalkicking accuracy may be a function of the fact there is more media attention on him than anything else. The difference between him and the expected score for his shots is approximately 3 goals that he's missed this season.

I think the real positive part about all this is he is continuing to generate good shots on goal and is performing that at an increased rate if you account for the concussion game against the Eagles.

He's also currently the 4th best key forward for winning % of 1 on 1 contests in the league.

That really excites me.
He had like 7 shots on goal last week but people think Voss will do better at the moment (or Treacy playing as number 1 KPF). I think it's pretty silly

He had like 7 shots on goal last week but people think Voss will do better at the moment (or Treacy playing as number 1 KPF). I think it's pretty silly
The expected score for the shots he's taken in the last 2 weeks were:

6.6 against Collingwood
23.9 against St Kilda
Total: 30.5 points

He's scored a total of 2 goals 6 in that period of time for 18 points. So he's really only 2 goals short of an average kick on goal in that period of time.

Extra distance will come with a longer run up and more momentum. He is getting too close to the man on the mark and a 3 step run up. Watch players that are kicking from in play versus a set shot and they easily make the distance and seem to have better accuracy.
I'm no expert, but I think you're on the money here. I had a lot of tennis coaching as a kid and I was always taught that where your front foot is pointing, is the direction you'll end up hitting the ball. Needs to go back further and aim his boot at the goals. Simples!

He was always going to come under a lot more scrutiny from opposition defenders in what is his second year. TBH much of the results are to this stage not unexpected.

In terms of the goal kicking, yes he should in training revisit cognitively what works for him with whatever routine he is working with atm, I am sure he is getting lots of advice, probably too much of it.

Personally though I think he should concentrate on beating his opponent and getting as much opportunity as possible, rather than thinking too hard about the accuracy. The problem on the weekend wasn't that he missed an easy shot at goal, it was that he was blanketed out of the game after quarter time by his opponent.

There is to some degree no shame in being blanketed by an experienced All Australian premiership backman, but this is the game that he signed up to, so he might as well try and see what can be done to face each of these top defenders that will be thrown at him each game, and turn the hunters into the hunted.

I did note that he was out on the ground for about 92% (?) of the game which is a lot more than he was out there the previous year. That buys a lot more rotations for the rest of the team (I think we finished the game with 1 away from the maximum?) but it also means an extra workload on him. That workload will impact his kicking at times amongst other things, so he needs to be able to physically and mentally prepare for that as best he can - he can't afford to overlook that inbetween games.

If he walks away with 2 goals 4 in the next game but we win the game then he should be content enough that he has beaten his opponent (probably Steven May), whilst obviously still seeking to improve all aspects including strength, accuracy and fitness. Beat your opponent and get the ball - that should be the mindset.

The expected score for the shots he's taken in the last 2 weeks were:

6.6 against Collingwood
23.9 against St Kilda
Total: 30.5 points

He's scored a total of 2 goals 6 in that period of time for 18 points. So he's really only 2 goals short of an average kick on goal in that period of time.
2 goals is a lot....

He had 2 shots on goal on the weekend and scored 1pt. We drew the game.

It's a problem with a solution. The quicker Jye/Freo try and find a solution the better.

He was always going to come under a lot more scrutiny from opposition defenders in what is his second year. TBH much of the results are to this stage not unexpected.

In terms of the goal kicking, yes he should in training revisit cognitively what works for him with whatever routine he is working with atm, I am sure he is getting lots of advice, probably too much of it.

Personally though I think he should concentrate on beating his opponent and getting as much opportunity as possible, rather than thinking too hard about the accuracy. The problem on the weekend wasn't that he missed an easy shot at goal, it was that he was blanketed out of the game after quarter time by his opponent.

There is to some degree no shame in being blanketed by an experienced All Australian premiership backman, but this is the game that he signed up to, so he might as well try and see what can be done to face each of these top defenders that will be thrown at him each game, and turn the hunters into the hunted.

I did note that he was out on the ground for about 92% (?) of the game which is a lot more than he was out there the previous year. That buys a lot more rotations for the rest of the team (I think we finished the game with 1 away from the maximum?) but it also means an extra workload on him. That workload will impact his kicking at times amongst other things, so he needs to be able to physically and mentally prepare for that as best he can - he can't afford to overlook that inbetween games.

If he walks away with 2 goals 4 in the next game but we win the game then he should be content enough that he has beaten his opponent (probably Steven May), whilst obviously still seeking to improve all aspects including strength, accuracy and fitness. Beat your opponent and get the ball - that should be the mindset.
As JL says getting the shot on goal is the hard part

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still would like him to change the set shot routine but my goodness did he play a good game on May. Barely beaten in a contest all day. May with zero influence
He should've had 5 but he tried to be unselfish.

Yep, that was the dumbest play I've ever seen. I get it if you're 45 out on an angle, but top of the goal-square? They're yours Jye, all day, every day. Great game yesterday though, hopefully gives him a lot of confidence.

What was really noticeable was that he was very rarely double-teamed due to the movement of the forward line, and the speed at which the ball was moved forward. He also came up the ground well to great effect; the mobility of our talls playing in this fashion is a matchup nightmare, and Steven May was made to look ordinary.

Yep, that was the dumbest play I've ever seen. I get it if you're 45 out on an angle, but top of the goal-square? They're yours Jye, all day, every day. Great game yesterday though, hopefully gives him a lot of confidence.

What was really noticeable was that he was very rarely double-teamed due to the movement of the forward line, and the speed at which the ball was moved forward. He also came up the ground well to great effect; the mobility of our talls playing in this fashion is a matchup nightmare, and Steven May was made to look ordinary.
Our inside 50s were the best I've ever seen from this team. Some of them were indefensible.

Our best is good enough to beat any team in the league. Yes even the swans.

Inigothatword.gif

What Do You Mean Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Freo Jye Amiss!!! (pick 8 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back