Autopsy Welcome to Freo Liam Henry – Fremantle’s 3rd 2019 National Draft Pick [Match bid Pick #9]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Colon is a lot of the reason for the move. He pushed this last year with Henry not getting much game time and playing at Peel. In the pre-season interviews with Colon, he seemed to sheepishly indicate that Henry was gone. Got his chance at the start of the year but after 1 good game Henry was very ordinary.

He then went back to Peel where the Colon voice in his head pushed him to make a decision. Best for his career yada yada…

Henry seems popular with the group and it doesn’t really appear to be a case of him being disgruntled. More a case of being convinced by his contract manager that it is the best thing to do and now that he is so far down that track a run of 9 improved afl games isn’t going to change his mind.

It is a shame because he is starting to show a bit more consistency but there are a number of flaws in his game that appear unable to be improved. One is depth in kicking. He knows it and for this reason holds off on making kicks and waits for shorter options which does hold up the play. Generally his i50 are good as he is one to lower the eyes but I have seen him forward of centre wing look up and not be confident in hitting up a 30-40m pass and instead go with a 15m kick which in many cases gets picked off or easily spoilt. Watch the first half against WC there were a couple kicks - one in particular where he he thought about longer option carried the ball further then went a dinky short pass where WC defender managed to push in front of said Freo player to mark the ball.

Another is his core and body strength. Henry obviously has very good training stds and discipline as his skin folds are super low but he is very lean and light and very easily pushed off the ball.

My preference is he stays but I’m convinced he is off to a Melbourne club. For this reason the drafting of Stanley whilst raw makes a lot of sense. The minimum we should be asking for in a trade is an upgrade of our pick 21 and very decent change like an upgrade of a third.

Something like (if Bulldogs are the new chosen club):
21, 52, Henry > 17, 36

We then run with 17, 36, 40, 58

The downgrade for the bulldogs will not disrupt their attempts to push for a swap with GC for the early pick.

11, 21 equate to pick 4 value. So they would likely need to chuck in a F2 and get some chump change back from GC.

I think in his mind around 3 months ago, Liam would of been thinking 100% leaving. Eff that

Now with his better form and security in the team, it's got him thinking. still think he is 70%- 80% going still. I think he sees the attraction of life outside of footy as the luring factor

I think in his mind around 3 months ago, Liam would of been thinking 100% leaving. Eff that

Now with his better form and security in the team, it's got him thinking. still think he is 70%- 80% going still. I think he sees the attraction of life outside of footy as the luring factor
Just seems so strange to me because I've always taken him as someone who's very close to his family. Always posting his baby sister and nephew on his instagram. Thought he was the type that would've wanted to stay close by.

Just seems so strange to me because I've always taken him as someone who's very close to his family. Always posting his baby sister and nephew on his instagram. Thought he was the type that would've wanted to stay close by.
When he wasn’t getting a game, he needed to move for his career. The seed is planted, Colin has told him about the extra money, life experience etc.

Then he breaks out, plays good footy. Staying is feasible if Freo up their offer / years. But has the seed grown into something else and Colin really wants his name for a tv show.

I think the big question is how much does he crave team success? Maybe he gets it at the Dogs / Hawks but Freo are stacked with 20-24 year players carrying the team, it’s a bright platform. He picks the wrong one, he could watch his mates on TV instead of being up on stage. If he misses Perth his option on returning would probably be WC in the short term, who would want that?

A recent time ago, in an office not far from here...
happy star wars GIF

Predicting future success is really difficult. Dogs, for example, have a ridiculous amount of high end KPP talent with Croft coming this year, but no mids of note under 27. Could go either way.

I reckon S.Mitchell knows precisely what he is doing, but that doesn't mean his players can pull it off.

I am sure if you went back 10 years and had a look at the lists back then, people did not correctly guess even half of the last 10 premieships.

Predicting future success is really difficult. Dogs, for example, have a ridiculous amount of high end KPP talent with Croft coming this year, but no mids of note under 27. Could go either way.

I reckon S.Mitchell knows precisely what he is doing, but that doesn't mean his players can pull it off.

I am sure if you went back 10 years and had a look at the lists back then, people did not correctly guess even half of the last 10 premieships.
My personal view is Adelaide and Hawthorn have both tried to short circuit the rebuild process and lack the talent in depth to be top sides.

My personal view is Adelaide and Hawthorn have both tried to short circuit the rebuild process and lack the talent in depth to be top sides.
I think Hawks will be ok, they've reached the point where top 10 talent like McKenzie isnt a walk up start. They'll have their first this year as well. I agree on Adelaide. I think they've whiffed on a couple too many top picks and their midfield has too many "triers." Thilthorpe isnt really looking like a top tier KPF and Fogarty is good without being elite. Take Tex who has a couple of years at most, out of that side and where do they finish this year?

I'm obviously bias but I just see Freo as a GWS/Brisbane style talent level all the same age coming through. It doesn't mean you automatically win a flag but I can't see us not at least making finals consistently in the next 5 years and having the best chance. The finals win monkey is already off our back too. The other options seem a lot riskier.

I'm obviously bias but I just see Freo as a GWS/Brisbane style talent level all the same age coming through. It doesn't mean you automatically win a flag but I can't see us not at least making finals consistently in the next 5 years and having the best chance. The finals win monkey is already off our back too. The other options seem a lot riskier.

I feel like this year was derailed by 2 things:

1) Trusting JOM in the centre square for so many matches.
2) Poor seasons from Cox and Pearce.

We’ve addressed point 1. Young to the midfield is a revelation, by next year I’m not sure JOM maintains his spot in our 22.

Point 2 concerns me, our list is very reliant on these 2. Both have ups and downs. I’m worried we could waste our window. I’d be heavily into Sam Taylor as a free agent next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve addressed point 1. Young to the midfield is a revelation, by next year I’m not sure JOM maintains his spot in our 22.

Point 2 concerns me, our list is very reliant on these 2. Both have ups and downs. I’m worried we could waste our window. I’d be heavily into Sam Taylor as a free agent next year.
Point 2 will be addressed by addressing point 1. They both perform a lot better when there is pressure on the ball coming in, which is a big factor in why they were very good last season.

That being said Sam Taylor should be our number 1 priority. Pearce has maybe 2/3 years left and Cox is still a flight risk.

This.

The back line needs more focus than the forward line.

It feels funny saying that.

3) Slow starts

Slow starts to games, slow start to the season, slow start after the bye.

I don't have any inside mail, but I suspect he will stay. Rumours of offers around 600k are silly, I think the offer from the Bulldogs is closer to 400k.
Usually when a player rumoured to leave , every one including players, managers coaches either deny or say they will think after season over. But here everyone including henry himself, coach even Bell not confident of staying.. So I am feeling an Anti Climax and Henry surprisingly stay.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fwiw, I heard from a source last night that he genuinely hasn't made his mind up yet
well he would be giving up the 2025 premiership for a bit more money in the short term, but could in fact make more money with Freo in the long term, so it is a big decision. That's ok, Colin Young will make it for him if he's still undecided.

Isn't this a leadership issue? What other factor could there be?
I think our midfield gets smashed early when the real heat is on. Maybe we just need to put the bigger more mature guys in there early and the younger smaller guys in a bit later when some of the steam is out of the game. We had to put JOM and Swiita in there last week to stop the bleeding out of the centre clearance. Once they stablilized things the younger guys did ok.

or sometimes we do ok in the middle but can't convert because of poor kicking into the forwardlineor missed chances .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back