Autopsy Welcome to Freo Liam Henry – Fremantle’s 3rd 2019 National Draft Pick [Match bid Pick #9]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always rated Langdon higher than most on here, feel like his kicking is fine

Noddy has a genuinely garbage kick that somehow worked last year, he probably needs a complete rework of kicking action tbh

2022 Season:
1.png
2023 Season:
2.png

Nathan was a worse kick in 2022 and a better kick in 2023.

Find it interesting the rumours he’s attracted to the big lights of city life.
As a professional sportsman, that shouldn’t be a priority.
I mean at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what a professional athlete "should" be prioritising, he's a young man, who's get a relative amount of clout and fame, potentially a big contract on the table, of course he's going to be attracted to a lavish lifestyle.

I generally think that people tend to go a bit OTT when it comes to pointing out X player's "terrible kicking". All players fluff them from time to time (I've seen some howlers from Mundy), but there's this super fine line between what gets deemed exceptional, tolerable, and awful. Once the assessment has been arrived at, all evidence to the contrary gets ignored or explained away. Once a couple of these fluffed kicks become turnovers in the defensive 50, that image overrides all memory of the perfectly acceptable ones.

Langdon's fluffed kicks stick out because game plan and position saw him regularly tightrope walking the boundary line, giving him a margin of about 2 degrees before his passes became OOBOTF. Midfielders tearing out of the centre with half a second or more to compose themselves nail their passes because they're kicking into the space that the forward is leading into. 5 degrees either way and the pass still lands.

I generally think that people tend to go a bit OTT when it comes to pointing out X player's "terrible kicking". All players fluff them from time to time (I've seen some howlers from Mundy), but there's this super fine line between what gets deemed exceptional, tolerable, and awful. Once the assessment has been arrived at, all evidence to the contrary gets ignored or explained away. Once a couple of these fluffed kicks become turnovers in the defensive 50, that image overrides all memory of the perfectly acceptable ones.

Langdon's fluffed kicks stick out because game plan and position saw him regularly tightrope walking the boundary line, giving him a margin of about 2 degrees before his passes became OOBOTF. Midfielders tearing out of the centre with half a second or more to compose themselves nail their passes because they're kicking into the space that the forward is leading into. 5 degrees either way and the pass still lands.
Langdon stood out to be because his technique is terrible and as such, he had little consistency. I think the Dees do a good job not asking him to take kicks that expose it often.

There would be a "opposition score launches" stat which effectively tracks the turnovers that result in opposition scoring but that isn't something I have access to as far as I know.

That would be a key feature of why some players are allowed to run around by themselves, why some players get corralled and some see their opponents sit back to guard the space ahead.

I mean at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what a professional athlete "should" be prioritising, he's a young man, who's get a relative amount of clout and fame, potentially a big contract on the table, of course he's going to be attracted to a lavish lifestyle.
Then leave.
Lavish lifestyle of partying, promoting his business? Therefore, He’s not in it for football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always rated Langdon higher than most on here, feel like his kicking is fine

Noddy has a genuinely garbage kick that somehow worked last year, he probably needs a complete rework of kicking action tbh
I think I read recently that LAngdon kicks the ball out on the full more than any other player , or was that Acres!! Which ever not good stats.

I feel like I might be responsible for the Liam likes the bright lights thing. It’s just a theory that there are some players attracted to the biggest stages & that possibly Liam is one.

Sees his mates like Kozi when he’s in Melbourne, likes the look of the lifestyle & happens to have the skills to make it happen.

There is zero evidence for it, just I couldn’t think of a good reason why he’d want to leave otherwise. He’s part of a talented, driven young group, playing for the club he supported & went through our academy. It makes little sense to me. That was the one reason I could think of that made sense.

Not everyone is happy in Perth. I left in my early 20’s for Melbourne to play music & it felt like a whole new world & was exciting. Hell I’d be tempted at that age to go live & play football there. Imagine playing for Collingwood or one of the big clubs, most weeks in Melbourne, huge crowds. It’s like the difference between Stephen & Brad Hill. Stephen likes the quiet life & would never have considered moving while Brad I reckon probably loves being a football gypsy. Certainly he didn’t stay back here long when the chance came to go back to Melbourne.

Just to be clear I mentioned the bright lights thing a while back (purely as a theory) & I wasn’t aware that anyone else had suggested it & now I’m seeing it repeated as if it’s something Liam has said which as far as I’m aware he hasn’t.

Langdon stood out to be because his technique is terrible and as such, he had little consistency. I think the Dees do a good job not asking him to take kicks that expose it often.
His technique was alright, one of those players you have confidence in from a set shot

Think he just tried to do too much, would always try to hit leads while running at full pelt

To most players footy is just a job, and just like us when they get an opportunity to earn more they jump at it. And really who could blame them, when their whole careers can be snuffed out in an instant? We need to stop romanticising notions of loyalty and glory and getting mad when people make practical life decisions.

Yes and no to both footy being just a job and us being romantic regarding our players being loyal to the club etc.

In the final analysis footy is just a job however there is also the clubs that have players who play for unders so they can be part of a premiership push.

There are usually some highly motivated players at these clubs who see past money and see a legacy (for want of a better word) in being part of something special.

Serong is one such player at Freo. I think Schultz, Clark, Brayshaw, Young, Jackson, Amiss would all be of that mindset.

Henry's problem, up until the past run of form, could be that he has not been good enough to nail down a best 22 position and started thinking the grass was greener on the other side of the fence. He may well have started thinking he needed to move on but solved the problem by improving his game to the point he is now a required player.

His technique was alright, one of those players you have confidence in from a set shot

Think he just tried to do too much, would always try to hit leads while running at full pelt
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. His field kicking technique looked awful to me and still does.

Think you can't dismiss the lure of the bright lights of melb compared to Perth..Liam being a young would be tempted by the party scene, big bucks, fast cars and fast women lol 🤣

Pretty sure he would rather hang out with buddy kosi then granpa Walters. 🤪
Yep the bright lights are getting brighter lol

Liam's not a key position player.. I dare say no one is offering Logue or lobb type of money. Hell doubt even 60% of that. He's had a good run of late but 10 weeks ago he was probably almost delist material. At 21 years old if you've got a good thing going you should run it back particularly if you are a self confessed 'confidence player'. No guarantees in a different side you would shine in the same way. As Rory. Rory doesn't care though that's his last contract. Griff was paid so much over his value he couldn't not take it. Henry has a few more contracts to go yet can he really afford that gamble?

I wonder if Liam's self-confidence rests on rather shaky ground.

He appears to bask in positive responses, for his merch, personal style etc. and for various periods, his footy. When that's challenged (as in being sent to Peel) he might find it harder than some to take criticism and work through it.

If Liam needs to feel he's the golden boy, then being told Melbourne clubs want him bolsters that, short-term anyway. The problems could come if he does leave and then cops some Peel-style relegation - this time as a much smaller entity in a far bigger pond.

Of course he might grow stronger through any setbacks. If so good for him. But I'd always regret he couldn't mature here as person and player and repay the Freo faith.

Liam's not a key position player.. I dare say no one is offering Logue or lobb type of money. Hell doubt even 60% of that. He's had a good run of late but 10 weeks ago he was probably almost delist material. At 21 years old if you've got a good thing going you should run it back particularly if you are a self confessed 'confidence player'. No guarantees in a different side you would shine in the same way. As Rory. Rory doesn't care though that's his last contract. Griff was paid so much over his value he couldn't not take it. Henry has a few more contracts to go yet can he really afford that gamble?

Someone clearly is putting up some decent coin though.

Not that we should be matching it. Overpaying for B graders is what blows salary caps and can mean you lose A graders.

When that's challenged (as in being sent to Peel) he might find it harder than some to take criticism and work through it.
Liam got sent back to Peel after the first 4 rounds and worked exceptionally hard to earn his way back into the side on form. I think you're underestimating his resillience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back