Welcome Welcome To Freo Shai Bolton!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lmao people getting big mad and up in their feelings about Walters.......sorry but farmer had another gear way more exciting then Walters and lmao nobody knocking Walters he just ain't the same as the wiz but Bolton's explosiveness comes close
I'd argue Jeff was more mercurial, Sonny the better Freo player

But it wasn't to say where Walters was in relation to Farmer, just in relation to the rating of "not exciting".

Although, while we're here, I'm not to sure many of our players have kicked 6 goals and had 32 disposals in a game like Sonny did. 😍

Far out, give Bolton a minute

I think Cousins had three choices , Fremantle, Geelong and West Coast. He chose, the latter.
The rules were badly set against the non VFL clubs in the early day, going back to the alleged beginning of a National competition.

I think Parceleet's post might be correct that Perth wasn't one of the clubs originally aligned with Fremantle, but when I went with what I remembered and what is written in some draft histories, I just got more confused.

One of Fremantle's concessions for a list build when we entered the AFL was that we could pick players from half of the sides in the WAFL competition for the first two years of drafting and EF was one of those. I think that is why Ben Cousins was eligible for Fremantle because he played colts and league for EF, even though his father Bryan Cousins played for Perth. His father/son eligibility was for Geelong/WC.

I got a feeling Claremont was originally one of the 4 Freo aligned clubs to help build an AFL list, and then they changed it for F/S purposes to make it WAFL teams north of the river for WC, WAFL south of the river for Fremantle Dockers. It might have happened when Peel came into the competition in 1997 or might have been changed more than once.

It's hard to work out because when you look at what's called the Zone selections that Fremantle had at the end of 1995 (the draft that WC took Cousins) - the players Fremantle selected are from 5 WAFL clubs. They are: Michael Brown, Michael Clark (Swans) Trent Carroll, Gavin Mitchell, Greg Harding (Claremont), Steven Koops, Martin Whitelaw (WP) Brendon Feddema (EF) James Clement, Phil Matera (SF) ( Matera was picked and traded to WC for David Hynes and Pick 3)

Zone Selection players in 1994 were:
Travis Edmonds, Todd Menegola (SD) Clinton Wolf, John Hutton (Clar). Except for Wolf, they're also players recycled from previously being on other AFL lists.

When they first tried the AFL/WAFL alignments (as we have now with Peel and Fremantle) in 1999 Claremont was with West Coast for a year, but Claremont ditched them and EP became their aligned club. Fremantle was with South Fremantle.

Darren Bolton was a Peel Thunder player who only played one season at South Fremantle because of that alignment, although Shai played colts for South Fremantle.

Last edited:
Yep as I recall it Cousins was eligible to be listed by us by virtue of playing for EF; by the slime because his Dad played for Perth; and by Geelong because Brian played for them too (back when it was minimum 50 VFL games, not 100 like it is now.)

Yep as I recall it Cousins was eligible to be listed by us by virtue of playing for EF; by the slime because his Dad played for Perth; and by Geelong because Brian played for them too (back when it was minimum 50 VFL games, not 100 like it is now.)
There was a required number of WAFLgames that had to be played as well. It was that silly, it was almost impossible for Fremantle, and maybe the Eagles, to actually select FS to be part of the team.
The rules were entirely different and still are for the VFL clubs.
I remember that Fremantle had five clubs, but wasn't sure that WP were one. I thought it may have been EF, SF, Claremont, Swans and Perth. But obviously I was wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome To Freo Shai Bolton!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back