Welcome Welcome To Freo Shai Bolton!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I have an idea it's because between 1995 and some point between 1999 and 2002 we didn't have access to father sons by WAFL affiliation along the same lines we came to know and used to select Peake. That rule came later, as I said I think some time between the end of the century and when he was actually selected (2003?).

This actually gets me off on a tangent about how the internet is patchy on details for everyday things that happened prior to the early noughties. Because everything was still in print then as the primary source its only been digitised if some egghead has an obsessive interest in it. Or only secondary sources exist online.
Hence the 'original' rule is quoted in many places: "Until October 31, 2015, Fremantle may include any player whose father made 150 WAFL appearances for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts." but never in its original context or saying when it applied from. We know that wasn't the rule in 1995, or Ben Cousins wouldn't have been eligible for West Coast. The way it appears around the net implies it was the rule from the beginning. I really should dig up some references and fix it...

My understanding is that they changed it at some to be aligned with WAFL clubs. Before then players could select which WA team they played for and Cousins chose West Coast. He also could’ve picked Geelong - the 100 game criteria wasn’t a thing then.

If we can’t count Cox as a member of our KPD stocks we may need to use every draft pick for the foreseeable future on drafting one because most will never make it.

Bare in mind Cox was coming off injury, I just don't think it's his best position. Should be a floating tall when fit like McGovern.

My biggest concern is Pearce. Love the man but he's 27, and has woeful luck with his body. I'd prefer to manage his minutes.

But the main point is McDonald is always injured. What's the point?

Bare in mind Cox was coming off injury, I just don't think it's his best position. Should be a floating tall when fit like McGovern.

My biggest concern is Pearce. Love the man but he's 27, and has woeful luck with his body. I'd prefer to manage his minutes.

Pearce is 29

McDonald is a fair point but another reason into Draper and Davies is going to be pretty big and they might pass him regardless.

McDonald is a fair point but another reason into Draper and Davies is going to be pretty big and they might pass him regardless.

I hope so. Draper showed a lot this year and feel he's going to be phenomenal. Plays like Johnson.

Davies we can only hope. Think getting pulled that match (can't remember who against) after that howler would have been terrible for the confidence. Hopefully, he can get some wait on and be rock back there. But then I believed Tobe Watson was going to be a superstar so what do I know.

It's a general comment about the replies I'm seeing here. People posting their opinions and getting swarmed by others because it's not "Bolton=Flag". This isn't something personal to me.

Forums are places for debates for sure. But the responses that some opinions are inviting are personal attacks and borderline bullying.

Personally, couldn't give a shit what people thought of my opinions. If I don't do it in real life I'm not doing it here:
I don't rate Bolton highly
I think we overpaid and should have gone to the draft
I still believe we need a mature KPD because of stocks are thin
JOM earned his contract last year.

Don't give a **** if people don't agree.
Curious as to why you don't rate Bolton?

I agree he was expensive but to not rate him at all?

Curious as to why you don't rate Bolton?

I agree he was expensive but to not rate him at all?

Not a case of me not rating him. Just don't rate him as highly as some others on here. I don't think he is the second coming and the cost gives me flashbacks to other bad trades.

None of that is to say I don't welcome him to Freo and hope that he proves me wrong and he provides that spark in the forward line that we've been missing since Ballas. Hopefully, he dominates and shuts the media up about 3 first rounders (I know it's not 3 first rounders but when has the media ever let the truth get in the way of a good Freo shitpiece).

It’s a good question.
I don’t think we need to change too much but suspect we will refine our handball off half back & have a more go forward mentality to move the ball slightly quicker. We tend to go back & around, I think they’ll work on going forward out of stoppage with handball which will allow for a more direct style & potentially deeper entries.

With the speed of Bolton & Freddy working back into F50 to either get separation to tick & mark or get front & centre we’d be silly not to try to go a bit more direct. We can do that by not changing too much, just by adjusting our shape out of stoppage.

On a personal note I’d like us to try & turn it over forward of centre as well, with Bolton in there it doesn’t have to come in pretty off turnover as long as we can bring it to ground or he stands on someone’s head!

Switta & Freddy are really going to benefit from going down the pecking order of small forwards the opposition have defend as well.
I think the bolded is a really good point.

JL is very wedded to systems and structure, predictability and control. Perhaps he has overly systemised a game in which freedom and spontaneity are equally important elements.

He’s now got a small forward with major X factor, which he hasn’t really had so far.

I hope he can be a little less rigid in terms of sticking to preferred buildup patterns, and just let the players get it forward to Shai to let him do his thing.

It’s a good question.

I think the bolded is a really good point.

JL is very wedded to systems and structure, predictability and control. Perhaps he has overly systemised a game in which freedom and spontaneity are equally important elements.

He’s now got a small forward with major X factor, which he hasn’t really had so far.

I hope he can be a little less rigid in terms of sticking to preferred buildup patterns, and just let the players get it forward to Shai to let him do his thing.
Would be a nightmare defending against JT with Bolton and Freddy racing on on either side of goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a case of me not rating him. Just don't rate him as highly as some others on here. I don't think he is the second coming and the cost gives me flashbacks to other bad trades.

None of that is to say I don't welcome him to Freo and hope that he proves me wrong and he provides that spark in the forward line that we've been missing since Ballas. Hopefully, he dominates and shuts the media up about 3 first rounders (I know it's not 3 first rounders but when has the media ever let the truth get in the way of a good Freo shitpiece).
Actually in the same boat.

Richmond knew we had three first rounders and went after it.

No way is Bolton worth a pick 4- given that’s what 10 and 11 add up to.

He has to step into very big limelight and will be brutal in this state’s media.

What’s even more frustrating is this club chose Athletic bull with not one iota of footballing IQ Griffin Logue at pick 8, when Shai Bolton goes for pick 29. Yuck. ****ing yuck.

Draper was out of his depth early on and improved out of sight.

Davies first game was horrible but his second game was pretty solid.

Another preseason and a good possibility that will take the next step.

Actually in the same boat.

Richmond knew we had three first rounders and went after it.

No way is Bolton worth a pick 4- given that’s what 10 and 11 add up to.

He has to step into very big limelight and will be brutal in this state’s media.

What’s even more frustrating is this club chose Athletic bull with not one iota of footballing IQ Griffin Logue at pick 8, when Shai Bolton goes for pick 29. Yuck. ****ing yuck.
Don’t use the points system it’s faulty when the revised one.

Bolton was considered first round but had some off field issues.

Had the time I thought we have split pick 8 for two first rounders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome To Freo Shai Bolton!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back