Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

He might as well get used to being double teamed on his debut as it’s going to carry through when he tears the comp apart in the years to come! Reckon a debut against the doggies is a huge chance.
Even though i would be rapt for the kid i dont see it happening. Similar to wingard playing AFL this week. We think long term and both those guys play VFL this week if thats the case.

It's a fair point and you'd guess those guys are probably talking to people around the club who might let on in relation to where he's at.

But then roughly 6 weeks or so ago we were being told to temper expectations because he wasn't likely to find his feet at VFL level for a while.

Either way he's playing sooner rather than later given the state of our forward stocks.

Unless Mitch Lewis is on the park, we really don't have a tall forward in the traditional sense. Chol is a great hybrid, Ramma is on the way via the cape, then it's back to Jack, there's a real smokey in DGB and then that's where the depth ends.
Naahh to tempering expectations. I said the kid would surprise a few at VFL level and he has. He has the attributes even though he is only played a little. Its his level at present but it wont remain that way for long. Let him build some continuity and confidence. He looks a player give him time

But his stats wouldn't deem it being a gift
9 goals 2 behinds in 5 games at VFL level......that's not knocking the door down

it would be a gift. Jackson Ross was doing far more and never debuted

If Lewis and Chol were fit, no supporter would be asking this

9 goals 2 behinds in 5 games at VFL level......that's not knocking the door down

9 in last 3 games

It’s over the last 3 games the calls are being made

You know no one is calling for him based on all 5 games

9 in last 3 games

9 in the last 4 games. He went goalless against the Suns.

I'd be bloody tempted to select him if I was the coach, with our bare KP cupboard at the moment, but ultimately, three decent games at VFL still isnt quite enough for a teenager I don't reckon. Let's see him give half a dozen more good ones, at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 in last 3 games

Except he hasn’t kicked 9 in the last 3 games.

He has kicked:

0 in Rd 1
3 in Rd 2
0 in Rd 4
4 in Rd 5
2 in Rd 6

Average: 1.8 / games

..and someone here claims it’s the greatest run of reserves level form (before a potential debut) of all time. 🤣

He has kicked:

0 in Rd 1
3 in Rd 2
0 in Rd 4
4 in Rd 5
2 in Rd 6

..and someone here claims it’s the greatest run of reserves level form (before a potential debut) of all time. 🤣
Just context wise, he kicked 2.4 in R6. I believe shots on goal are just as important as finishing as it shows how dangerous you can be, I.e Watson in his first few games.

He has kicked:

0 in Rd 1
3 in Rd 2
0 in Rd 4
4 in Rd 5
2 in Rd 6

He got a couple of cheap ones from the goal square late in round 2. Think he would need a couple more weeks of good form at Box Hill to build on his last 2 to really cement his case for selection

If you read back through threads about Ramma, there were tons of people calling for him to get promoted. He did, predictably found the going a lot harder than VFL, and now he's almost being written off.

Give the kids time! Littlejohn seems like a top development coach - even his game analyses are very clear on what the players need to do to take the next couple of steps forward. Box Hill has always been a great development factory for our players and there is no harm giving them the space they need to develop.

Calsher looks like an awesome prospect and part of me wants him to jump to the next level - am just cautious about the downside of an early promotion.

If you read back through threads about Ramma, there were tons of people calling for him to get promoted. He did, predictably found the going a lot harder than VFL, and now he's almost being written off.

Give the kids time! Littlejohn seems like a top development coach - even his game analyses are very clear on what the players need to do to take the next couple of steps forward. Box Hill has always been a great development factory for our players and there is no harm giving them the space they need to develop.

Calsher looks like an awesome prospect and part of me wants him to jump to the next level - am just cautious about the downside of an early promotion.
Difference is Dear is a much more natural forward, he’s also much more athletic and his defensive application is top tier. Ramsden struggled to get involved which is his issue, not a lack of talent or tank, or the physical demands. It’s purely being good enough at the level.

He's kicked 9 goals from his last 4 games, if he sustains that average over 21 rounds he's on track to be the leagues leading goal kicker.

As it stand right now he's had the most shots on goal and sits 8th for total goals.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back