Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

The first Nick Watson! Forget the inaccuracy, he'd be right in the mix for the Rising Star regardless if he hadn't missed that handful of games. Would have been nice if he'd gone at a better clip than 34% but the fact that he's come in undersized, first year and has averaged 3.3 shots a game while still applying pressure and doing the strong veteran stuff is pretty crazy.

If you had a senior player playing as well as Watson you'd be stoked. He is a first year player and someone many said would struggle because of his height. Yet he is impacting and stamping his authority all over games already. Phenomenal.

Exactly right! The best thing about our team is our most talented young players have so much development left in them. Dear, Watson, weddle, mckenzie, McCabe are 20 and under.

His contested work is exceptional. He wins nearly half his possessions in a contest, compare that to a ginnivan who goes 2:1 uncontested:contested and he had a lot of outside ball to once he finds balance.

I know we are all excited about him running through the middle but could really be that centre clearance x factor in future finals when you simply must win one.

Shame he hasn't snuck a few more in.

He's bloody unlucky that Dempsey has been so good and he's missed a few of his shots. Two absolute stand outs in the Rising Star imo.
Not Dempseys fault but I'm not sure player in their 3rd year on a list or in the system should be able to win the rising star.

would be interesting to re-rate the draft as the first season has been completed.
Harley Reid probs number one, but not by the distance all the media was telling us, but Watson surely in at number two now. Today gave us the chance to size up the Wiz vs McKercher, and I like Hawks man a whole lot more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s just pointless as there isn’t enough data to back the claims either way. It’s purely opinion driven and again meaningless in the grand scheme.
You could take a look at the number of times defenders caught up with Cyril tearing away on the burst vs. Watson.

That would reveal a lot I reckon.

Both insanely quick off the mark if you're talking the first 10 steps, and both in possession of evasive tricks to bamboozle the very best.

More than Cyril ;)

I love them both, but in his first year Cyril had a guy standing next to him who kicked more than 100, while Williams kicked mid 40s as well.

Watson is absolutely sublime and looks better almost every week. But it's worth a mention also that Cyril was playing a long way down the order in 2008.

That was right in front of me in the Carlton draft stand I spilt my beer 😂 …… for a moment was worried he was going to run too far. By the way that was Chol’s goal! Some of the taps to teammates in a better position is starting to happen more regularly.

Looking forward to the Wiz on the G!

Last edited:
Did you notice that he has Watson (Wo to so n) in katakana on his right forearm.
Bloodsport GIF by Cam Smith

That was right in front of me in the Carlton draft stand I spilt my beer 😂 …… for a moment was worried he was going to run too far. Looking forward to the Wiz on the G!

I tried counting the steps - had to slow down the footage! - got to 18 yet he's only covered 10m or so...

Compare that to Chol later on - who only took 8 steps (including turn) but burned off his opponent and somehow ended up 20m closer to goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back