Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

If you picked him up with pick 3 in last years draft you would be wrapped with what he is producing. Have watched him closely in each game and if he doesn’t mark it he always brings the ball to ground. Physically has all attributes to be an A grader too. Is going to be a Star!
I can't recall any KPF playing this well in his first season.
Dearis outperforming Jed Walter by a significant margin, and Dear doesn't yet have the pysique for an AFL KPP, while Walter is as big as any.

Walter has not kicked a goal in 5 games.

Screenshot 2024-07-28 at 12.54.49.png

First sign of the media trying to insinuate we hid him today.

Waiting for Barrett to jump on and demand picks are taken away from us
They really going with that? Really? A kid whose father was battling cancer and ultimately passing from it, isn't as focused on football in the key years and we're hiding him? Despite openly bringing him to the club for training and his family all over the media.

Also, Sandringham dragons just didn't give him much of a run.

Dearis outperforming Jed Walter by a significant margin, and Dear doesn't yet have the pysique for an AFL KPP, while Walter is as big as any.

View attachment 2062102
Logan Morris is playing some good footy too, main difference is Dear is doing it as a main target where Morris is the 3rd tall.

I think this is the week for a Dear RS nomination. I don't remember any other youngsters having great games, and the apparently rightful choice from last week in Logan Evans had a down one.

Logan Morris is playing some good footy too, main difference is Dear is doing it as a main target where Morris is the 3rd tall.

I think this is the week for a Dear RS nomination. I don't remember any other youngsters having great games, and the apparently rightful choice from last week in Logan Evans had a down one.
Morris is the one I wanted as a second round pick.
His highlights were impressive for a KPP.

no doubt he has talent but had been thinking we were getting a bit over excited at his potential but … geez he looked every bit an emerging star yesterday, lots and lots of almost moments where he came from nowhere to nearly do something special.

Signs of some real fwd craft and instinct that combined with athleticism and competitiveness is super exciting. It’s still 2-3 years away but more and more confident he gets there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amazing thing about his capacity to bring it to ground is, not only is he preventing the opposition player form marking it, but his tap work is rarely neutral, almost always to advantage. I wouldn't mind seeing him take some of the throw ins in the forward pocket sometimes.

With another pre season to add further strength, he is likely to leap on heads more often. His spring and timing off a few steps is very difficult to combat. Opposiiton are going to learn to not allow him to jump. But his ability to compete and chase and rarely get outmarked is huge.

View attachment 2062102

One of Walter's points of difference as an U18 was his tackle pressure for a big man. Dear has him beat in that as well.

So happy we've got him.

These are the best or most promising key forwards in the league. Guys all clubs would give multiple picks for

Cadman pick 1
Walter pick 2
JUH pick 1
Naughton pick 9
Curnow pick 12
Mackay pick 10
Hogan pick 2 minidraft
Ben King pick 6

Larkey, Waterman bargains

Calsher was pick 56

This could end up being the most important recruitment decision for our entire list.

Rarely completely beaten.
One in the third he had no right to compete and managed to get it to ground.
Once he has the tank he is going to be a force.
Someone here has access to really good stats & I'd like to see his % win / loss per contest attended. Perhaps compared with the best KPFs going around & compared with the more-hyped young KPF (u/23 or whatever).

Judd2Sewell
KermitJagger

Perhaps you guys can assist?

Calsher got a bit of love on ESPN Sports website.

Hawthorn

Stocks up: There were contributors all across the board for the Hawks, who were challenged and responded like a mature team, but the impressive year of Calsher Dear continues. He's a presence in the forward line for the Hawks, and if he's not taking marks or winning contests, he's halving them. He was one of eight multiple goalkickers for Hawthorn, who had 11 total goalkickers on the day. The Hawks train keeps rolling.

Stocks down: Fingers crossed it's not too serious, but with Changkuoth Jiath's injury history, there may be cause for concern about his shoulder troubles. The livewire was taken off in the fourth term.

Someone here has access to really good stats & I'd like to see his % win / loss per contest attended. Perhaps compared with the best KPFs going around & compared with the more-hyped young KPF (u/23 or whatever).

Judd2Sewell
KermitJagger

Perhaps you guys can assist?
I can't do a lot - there's only win stats widely available.

Champion Data classify contests as win - neutralise - loss. So a player that doesn't win many may conversely not lose many either, and for a forward in a forward line surrounded by smalls that's just as important. The best I can do is approximate based on stats that are available.

Dear has the 6th best offensive 1:1 win rate of key forwards under 23, but he also leads the top 10 for One Percenters and Spoils which would reflect that he neutralises more than he loses.

PlayerTeamAgeMatchesContestOffensive1:1ContestOffensiveWin%OnePercentersSpoils
Jed WalterGold Coast
19​
12​
2.417​
41.379​
2.083​
1.917​
Anthony CaminitiSt Kilda
21​
12​
1.417​
41.176​
1.667​
1.25​
Aaron CadmanGreater Western Sydney
20​
17​
1.353​
30.435​
0.647​
0.235​
Riley ThilthorpeAdelaide
22​
3​
3.333​
30​
0.333​
0​
Sam DarcyWestern Bulldogs
21​
16​
2​
28.125​
1.688​
1.375​
Calsher DearHawthorn
19​
11​
1.636​
27.778​
2.455​
2.182​
Jamarra Ugle-HaganWestern Bulldogs
22​
17​
2​
26.471​
0.765​
0.588​
Jye AmissFremantle
21​
18​
1.556​
25​
0.667​
0.556​
Logan MorrisBrisbane
19​
11​
1.091​
25​
0.545​
0.273​
Oliver HenryGeelong22
17​
1.647​
25​
1.529​
0.941​

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back