Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember how people were saying he should be rested this week? Last week wasn’t his best game, but he sure made up for it today!
Almost as if Buckley and Taylor are an absolute nightmare match up for any KPF let alone the youngest one in the league, especially when given the type of horrendous shallow entries we gave him last week.

Almost as if Buckley and Taylor are an absolute nightmare match up for any KPF let alone the youngest one in the league, especially when given the type of horrendous shallow entries we gave him last week.
It’s all part of the learning experience, in a year or 2 with more games, experience and extra bulk, he will be able to hold his own. No doubt he will have some other “bad” days in the future. His upside is huge however, so unless he is injured, he stays in the team for mine.

It’s all part of the learning experience, in a year or 2 with more games, experience and extra bulk, he will be able to hold his own. No doubt he will have some other “bad” days in the future. His upside is huge however, so unless he is injured, he stays in the team for mine.
Every chance to give them a tonne of trouble in a year or two. Gonna be a hell of a difficult match up with a bit more maturity.

It’s actually phenomenal that as an 18 year old he’s only been beaten comfortably twice - by two quality defenders in McGovern and Buckley. Even then I feel we miss his forward pressure when he gets subbed.

An increased tank will result in more leads and greater pressure. Increased strength will result in clunking more marks, and holding his own.

The most exciting KPF prospect we've had since Franklin.

Dear or Caddy, both deserving.

Hopefully Dear gets the nod because we won the game.
I really wanted Caddy.
He is proving my conviction to be correct. He’s gonna be a star.

Dear becoming so good so soon is a huge bonus and allays any regret.

We got Watson AND a great KPP prospect.

Dear will probably play bigger than Caddy, so this may well end up the best possible outcome for us.

I really wanted Caddy.

Dear will probably play bigger than Caddy, so this may well end up the best possible outcome for us.

Same with me, I was on the Caddy train until later into the season when his TAC form saw him drift out a little.

It's really been the best case scenario with us bringing both Watson and Dear in. Two huge talents that have just scratched the surface.

It’s actually phenomenal that as an 18 year old he’s only been beaten comfortably twice - by two quality defenders in McGovern and Buckley. Even then I feel we miss his forward pressure when he gets subbed.

An increased tank will result in more leads and greater pressure. Increased strength will result in clunking more marks, and holding his own.

The most exciting KPF prospect we've had since Franklin.

His ability to time his leap and pluck unlikely marks makes him is exciting.

But maybe the most exciting element to his game is his defensive competitiveness - knocking balls down to advantage, getting his hands to the ball from the back of marking contests, willingness to tackle and reading the flight of the ball when he's out of position. It shows a level of natural intelligence (or game sense) and maturity. It's rare for a young KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really wanted Caddy.

If only we could have traded back in with this years pick and got him, not sure if we were looking at him but.

What a dizzying debut of a year it's been for him. The unbelievable highs of the close wins, some of the most crushing defeats in memory, sold out MCG crowds, parochial interstate crowds, all while looking like he belongs from his very first touch when he clunked that mark on the wing against the Bulldogs. Clutch goals, desperate efforts, courageous aerial contests. Wasn't even supposed to play this year, yet what he has experienced in the past 2 months has been nothing short of extraordinary as we embark on a comeback journey like no other, which all up will no doubt work to really fast track his development. And of course it's all mixed in with emotion of the passing of his dad who's sadly not here to experience it with him. All he needs now is finals and he's primed for what will no doubt be a pretty special career.

I don't care about "Rising Star" awards, and it's cringe that so many of you do.

It's a worthless award.
Nominations are even less than that.
It's a great honour for the individual that rewards their efforts, how don't you care about that?

Most impactful tall forward on the ground in a huge game in front of 80k, and just a maniac for every contest until the ball was won or lost. Looked spent more than once, but just kept coming.

Calsher’s taps to advantage in marking contests are as good as any forward in the league.

Big impact early when the game was up for grabs.

Not bad for a long shot father son pick. Almost had that bag we’ve been talking about, but the most impressive thing was he got on the end of one or two.

Once he unlocks that regularly, the bags will flow.

Last edited:
It's a great honour for the individual that rewards their efforts, how don't you care about that?
The Rising Star nomination is not a great honour.

It’s a trivial and arbitrary process of zero consequence.

The brownlow is a great honour.

Premiership medallion is a great honour.

Best and fairest is a great honour.

Any club award is a greater honour.

Getting BnF votes is a greater honour than a RS nomination.

His ability to time his leap and pluck unlikely marks makes him is exciting.

But maybe the most exciting element to his game is his defensive competitiveness - knocking balls down to advantage, getting his hands to the ball from the back of marking contests, willingness to tackle and reading the flight of the ball when he's out of position. It shows a level of natural intelligence (or game sense) and maturity. It's rare for a young KPF.

For sure.
He's got those active hands, the kind you develop in basketball where your eyes are often lowered to below the waist of your opponent while he's dribbling and you're looking to strip the ball away.
Swiping, tracking, constantly trying to keep a ball that's in flux alive until you can find a way to control it.
He stays tight to a contest like you do in basketball too, just comfortable being in body contact and bumping and jostling to move an opponent off the ball.

I agree, if the marking wasn't enough of a point of difference then his competitiveness in getting a loose ball back to his team or hustling in tight is an X factor for your big man.
What a dream for him to be Paul Dear's son and actually being THIS good.

For sure.
He's got those active hands, the kind you develop in basketball where your eyes are often lowered to below the waist of your opponent while he's dribbling and you're looking to strip the ball away.
Swiping, tracking, constantly trying to keep a ball that's in flux alive until you can find a way to control it.
He stays tight to a contest like you do in basketball too, just comfortable being in body contact and bumping and jostling to move an opponent off the ball.

I agree, if the marking wasn't enough of a point of difference then his competitiveness in getting a loose ball back to his team or hustling in tight is an X factor for your big man.
What a dream for him to be Paul Dear's son and actually being THIS good.

Those active hands are super quick too.

The way he's ripped the pill away from guys and got it onto his boot is nuts.

His recovery when he tapped the ball back on the goal line, then got up and was onto it and kicked the goal was astonishing for a first year player of his size.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back