Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s actually phenomenal that as an 18 year old he’s only been beaten comfortably twice - by two quality defenders in McGovern and Buckley. Even then I feel we miss his forward pressure when he gets subbed.

An increased tank will result in more leads and greater pressure. Increased strength will result in clunking more marks, and holding his own.

The most exciting KPF prospect we've had since Franklin.
What I like about Calsh is what he does when we don’t have the ball. He is a natural defender and his work rate to bring it to ground is phenomenal.

For sure.
He's got those active hands, the kind you develop in basketball where your eyes are often lowered to below the waist of your opponent while he's dribbling and you're looking to strip the ball away.
Swiping, tracking, constantly trying to keep a ball that's in flux alive until you can find a way to control it.
He stays tight to a contest like you do in basketball too, just comfortable being in body contact and bumping and jostling to move an opponent off the ball.

I agree, if the marking wasn't enough of a point of difference then his competitiveness in getting a loose ball back to his team or hustling in tight is an X factor for your big man.
What a dream for him to be Paul Dear's son and actually being THIS good.
Can you imagine how good Giddy would have been!

I don't care about "Rising Star" awards, and it's cringe that so many of you do.

It's a worthless award.
Nominations are even less than that.
It's cringe that we like to see our players get recognition for their efforts?

What's cringe is this stupid comment.

One of the things I have loved he keeps competing and leaving him on the ground means we have somebody who just keeps going, one of the reasons we lost against GWS is that they genuinely worried about him sitting on heads and taking a hangar, he goes off and they can setup a zone and the big guys started controlling back half.

The other two things I have noticed about the way he goes about it, are the way he drops the ball off his hand when he can't mark, in the second he did it in front of the members and he flew fourth in line, but consciously allowed ball to hit his hand and drop to his right in a passageway for a runner to come through. One of few times we didn't have anyone coming through but it really was a lovely tough and predictable for the crumbers.

Finally over time he will get those scragging frees paid to him when umps realise how good he is. They are the chopping arms scragging frees the stars get whereas young players seem to have to earn them. Really ridiculous how many times he was held on weekend.

Those active hands are super quick too.

the way he's ripped the pill away from guys and got it onto his boot is nuts.

His recovery when the tapped the ball back on the goal line, then got up and was onto it and kicked the goal was astonishing for a first year player of that size.

I think he was trying to tap it to Chol then. Was super impressive for him to recover and get it himself.

We have talked about Wiz and Weddle having X factor, which is fair enough. I also see some X in Calsh.

He's an elite level tall in the making, just moves so well. The first games I saw of him at box hill I was constantly rewinding footage to make sure I saw things he'd done properly.

Almost spat my breakfast out when I logged on to watch a Box Hill game one morning.

Was punching the air when he lined up for his (missed) fourth after a mark last night US time.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Rising Star nomination is not a great honour.

It’s a trivial and arbitrary process of zero consequence.

The brownlow is a great honour.

Premiership medallion is a great honour.

Best and fairest is a great honour.

Any club award is a greater honour.

Getting BnF votes is a greater honour than a RS nomination.
IMHO getting a nomination outweighs winning the actual thing. Never been a fan of the RS award, but getting a nom and the media/ publicity that goes with it is an awesome opportunity for a young kid who may not have already been getting much attention.

Of course you can't compare it to the Brownlow, BnFs or premiership medallions, that's not the point.

Disagree getting BnF votes outweights a RS nom, too - but can see what you mean.

I don't care about "Rising Star" awards, and it's cringe that so many of you do.

It's a worthless award.

It is a worthless award, but it's also a media driven award.
Whether we like it or not, the media controls who gets prime time games etc, and the amount of award winners on a list etc impacts this

It's a worthless award.

At the end of the day it may be worthless for us, and it absolutely has no bearing on what kind of player the winner will become. But that's coming from us fans and BigFooty nuffies.

The players themselves might think differently though. So I want him to get a nomination as it's nice for the player to receive the recognition.

I'm willing to bet Dear would not have seen a nomination this coming in his wildest dreams, had you asked him at the start of the season.

Reckon a nom or winning it also unlocks some nice bonuses in his first contract - which I'd happily see him receive, kid is a gold-plated star, and deserves all the success that comes his way.

Seeing him fly for marks is a thing of beauty.

His 1%'ers are elite. He went for a pack mark on the wing yesterday and was caught behind. Most kids would try taking the mark from behind (if you are Jesse Hogan, they're all paid), but he instantly realised he's behind and should punch.

Punched. Ball fell to our ground guys and I think it resulted in a shot on goal or goal down the other end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back