Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Could have had the nom if he'd kicked that goal. Hopefully this fuels him to dominate on the G this Sunday
I reckon he missed out due to the AFL knowing too much Essendon negativity is bad for their ratings/views (unless it's drug saga bad).

Calsh deserves one, if we go a comfortable lead I'd not be against us forcing the ball to him

I know previously they have liked to get the nom to the higher pick player . Wonder if that was a tie breaker here .

He really really deserves it for his body of work and impact on the team since coming in
It's selected by media personalities who have spent the year ignoring one of the 2 and blowing smoke up the arse of the other

I know previously they have liked to get the nom to the higher pick player . Wonder if that was a tie breaker here .

He really really deserves it for his body of work and impact on the team since coming in
Wouldn't surprise me - I imagine the order of priority is pick the draft age player, if they're both draft age players go for the earlier pick. Clearly it isn't body of work because Calsh's is bigger.

I know previously they have liked to get the nom to the higher pick player .
That's the thing that doesn't make sense to me. A higher pick player is more likely to be good to excellent (Eg. Reid, Daicos) and doesn't really need the extra recognition. A pick in the 50s that's playing like a top 10 pick surely deserves the recognition.

I'd like to think they would give it to Dear on the back of Caddy still being eligible next year while Dear wont be.

However nope ofc they give it to Caddy

It's cringe that we like to see our players get recognition for their efforts?

What's cringe is this stupid comment.
Hawthorn Supporters: AFL media sucks and is incompetent, AFL is corrupt, the awards are all about favouritism rather than merit.

Also Hawthorn Supporters:
pls pls pls bestow an arbitrary nomination for a meaningless award to one of our players! 🥳

Hawthorn Supporters: AFL media sucks and is incompetent, AFL is corrupt, the awards are all about favouritism rather than merit.

Also Hawthorn Supporters:
pls pls pls bestow an arbitrary nomination for a meaningless award to one of our players! 🥳
Do you honestly believe the individuals nominated see it as meaningless?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at his brother's size, gives an indication of how Dear would be in 1-2 yrs time.

Going to be built like Tom Hawkins. All depends on the club's choice on what is his best body type.

Seems to be doing great with his current build.

Hope he lands the rising Star nom base don body of work and 2 goals.
His best body type is currently coaching him. Privately.

Last edited:
That's the thing that doesn't make sense to me. A higher pick player is more likely to be good to excellent (Eg. Reid, Daicos) and doesn't really need the extra recognition. A pick in the 50s that's playing like a top 10 pick surely deserves the recognition.
I agree, just been told previously that's how they do it .
Looks like it may have been a factor here .
Top 10 pick v a FS taken in the 50s

Hope he’s working on his goal kicking. You wouldn’t back him outside of about 10 metres. When he fixes that he will grow in confidence and his teammates will be more inclined to give it to him. They burnt him a couple of times last week.

Hope he’s working on his goal kicking. You wouldn’t back him outside of about 10 metres. When he fixes that he will grow in confidence and his teammates will be more inclined to give it to him. They burnt him a couple of times last week.
I don't think they've not kicked it to him because they don't think he's capable, I think we've just got a lot of forwards who get up a head of steam heading towards goals and have a ping.

For reference, he's good from in close - <30m - and he's good from 50m+ which is his most exciting attribute.

1723525406057.png

I don't think they've not kicked it to him because they don't think he's capable, I think we've just got a lot of forwards who get up a head of steam heading towards goals and have a ping.

For reference, he's good from in close - <30m - and he's good from 50m+ which is his most exciting attribute.

View attachment 2078063
That's absolutely suggestive his goal-kicking issues are mental. All six of his misses you would expect to be goals, and the three close no scores also.

A bit of old-fashioned goal-kicking practice wouldn't go astray. More Dunstall taking 50 shots from 30m out directly in front after training, less Hollywood from the pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back