Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Chad Wingard (Two goals, eight disposals, three marks, two inside 50s)

“He only had eight touches but from his eight touches, six resulted in a score and he kicked two goals himself. He was really busy and provided great energy and leadership to the group which really helped the other players around him. It was a great return from Chad. We’ll continue to progress him safely and steadily and get the right minutes into him. Sooner or later, he’ll be putting his hand up for AFL selection.”

Chad Wingard (Two goals, eight disposals, three marks, two inside 50s)

“He only had eight touches but from his eight touches, six resulted in a score and he kicked two goals himself. He was really busy and provided great energy and leadership to the group which really helped the other players around him. It was a great return from Chad. We’ll continue to progress him safely and steadily and get the right minutes into him. Sooner or later, he’ll be putting his hand up for AFL selection.”

I'd play him as the sub in seniors this week. He's too good and too needed to be building minutes at Box Hill. Get him half a game against the Dogs.

I'd play him as the sub in seniors this week. He's too good and too needed to be building minutes at Box Hill. Get him half a game against the Dogs.
I’d like that too.

I like Wingard as the sub, can come on and really change a game when he does. I hope the days of Gunston/Ramsden/any tall being the sub are gone.

Chad has versatility also - he can play up front, midfield and wouldn't be completely out of place filling a small defender post. Given our outs he would be the ideal sub this weekend.

As much as I would like that too, there is a non-zero risk that we get a bad injury or concussion early in the 1st quarter.

Even if Wingard is cleared to play say 60% of game time, it might put us in an awkward spot for rotations.

As much as I would like that too, there is a non-zero risk that we get a bad injury or concussion early in the 1st quarter.

Even if Wingard is cleared to play say 60% of game time, it might put us in an awkward spot for rotations.

If this was a winnable game without horrid outs I would probably agree with you - as it stands I think in this event we could make do for half a quarter or so then inject Chad in from the second quarter onwards. I get the club being cautious also given his injury history but if they are willing to play him on Whitten Oval for 2-3 quarters I have no qualms doing the same at Marvel.

If this was a winnable game without horrid outs I would probably agree with you - as it stands I think in this event we could make do for half a quarter or so then inject Chad in from the second quarter onwards. I get the club being cautious also given his injury history but if they are willing to play him on Whitten Oval for 2-3 quarters I have no qualms doing the same at Marvel.
If it isn't a 'winnable' game, why bother taking the risk anyway?

Give him a full month in the 2's to get full match fitness, then bring him back for a full game against the Lions (at Marvel) in round 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see how we manage the combo of chad, Breust, Gunston over rest of year. Arguably playing all 3 isn’t helping our development.

Just no chance chad plays this week - we are conservative in recovery. Will need to get through a full BH game to even be considered.

Interesting to see how we manage the combo of chad, Breust, Gunston over rest of year. Arguably playing all 3 isn’t helping our development.

Play Chad where he has played all of his best footy for us - in the midfield.

If it isn't a 'winnable' game, why bother taking the risk anyway?

Give him a full month in the 2's to get full match fitness, then bring him back for a full game against the Lions (at Marvel) in round 11.

You're likely right - I just want the injection of class he could provide and am being rather impatient!

I hope to see him back in the seniors soon but no issue with him having a 3-4 week block at VFL level. He wasn’t even a lock best 22 prior to the injury, let’s see him get some fitness and some form back before playing him at AFL level.
Yep - spot on.

When he returned in 2023 via Box Hill last season from his calf injuries, we played him in VFL Rd 12, then he had a break, then VFL Rd 14, and then he returned to the senior side for AFL Rd 16, and played 6 games before snapping the Achilles.

I don’t see how, or why, we would rush him back in after half a game if VFL footy given his history and particularly his recent history.

It’s just asking for trouble.

No way I’d play him as sub this week. For Chad to excel he needs to get full confidence in his body. A full game - even at state league intensity (though hopefully he applies AFL level) would be best for him. Then in in a week or two.

Chad Wingard (One goal, 11 disposals, two marks, two inside 50s)

"He played three quarters this week so he’s slowly building back up. His leadership is outstanding. We just didn’t move the footy well enough to give Chad great looks. Defensively, Chad would’ve liked to have been better in some areas with his work rate to get himself into better positions. He’s such a good player so when he does that, he’s going to win more contests than he loses."

Chad Wingard (One goal, 11 disposals, two marks, two inside 50s)

"He played three quarters this week so he’s slowly building back up. His leadership is outstanding. We just didn’t move the footy well enough to give Chad great looks. Defensively, Chad would’ve liked to have been better in some areas with his work rate to get himself into better positions. He’s such a good player so when he does that, he’s going to win more contests than he loses."
Almost record time getting back from an Achilles and he's getting pinged on his work rate! Gee wiz we've got some hard markers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back