Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we think the spoil at half forward that went straight to another Hawk player (not the Hardwick one) and resulted in a goal was deliberate?

If so, it begs the question - why don’t we see more directional spoils to another player’s advantage?

We see them when defenders spoil to the boundary, but rarely to another players advantage? I know it’s easier said than done, but Dear looked like he did it with ease.
He did it 5+ times and you just watch how it when to our advantage each time. I reckon he means it.

Do we think the spoil at half forward that went straight to another Hawk player (not the Hardwick one) and resulted in a goal was deliberate?

If so, it begs the question - why don’t we see more directional spoils to another player’s advantage?

We see them when defenders spoil to the boundary, but rarely to another players advantage? I know it’s easier said than done, but Dear looked like he did it with ease.
The lions 3-Pete team were masters at it,never seen a team spoil to their advantage so much.

Have already seen enough to know that he is too good for the magoos. Keep him in to fast track his development accepting that he will run out of gas and occasionally struggle one on one - I get a sense that the latter will spur him on in lieu of destroying his confidence so see no point in playing him in the VFL

Have already seen enough to know that he is too good for the magoos. Keep him in to fast track his development accepting that he will run out of gas and occasionally struggle one on one - I get a sense that the latter will spur him on in lieu of destroying his confidence so see no point in playing him in the VFL
If they have specific things they want him to work on, sometimes the VFL is the place for that. Not now, but maybe later in the season when we have a full list.

Other small issue is that he over commits on chases. Dale last week and Bonner today were able to cut inside too easily on him
if we’re worried about a player trying too hard - that’s a pretty good sign tbh that the effort is there and the over-commital is what we are noticing!

He did it 5+ times and you just watch how it when to our advantage each time. I reckon he means it.

There's no doubt he means it, he's got a lot of uncle Greg in his game - even similar build at this early stage.

Keep him in this week, unless he's knackered and sore.

He's not really having much different output to what he had at Box Hill, and he's not hurting the team by being out there. In fact, he's helping even if he takes one mark at half back each week.

When we were losing we couldn't buy a clean transition through half back, because there was no marking option. With no threat of that happening, teams were able to lock us in their 50 way too easily.

Until Lewis is back at least, he's in every week unless he's got to be rested.

There's no doubt he means it, he's got a lot of uncle Greg in his game - even similar build at this early stage.

Keep him in this week, unless he's knackered and sore.

He's not really having much different output to what he had at Box Hill, and he's not hurting the team by being out there. In fact, he's helping even if he takes one mark at half back each week.

When we were losing we couldn't buy a clean transition through half back, because there was no marking option. With no threat of that happening, teams were able to lock us in their 50 way too easily.

Until Lewis is back at least, he's in every week unless he's got to be rested.
Agree. We play him until either he fatigues or his confidence drops to the point he isn't competing in the air. Box Hill only if his form drops away dramatically.

Whether that's 2, 5 or 15 games this year it will be invaluable for his long-term development.

Only difference to senior players is I don't want him carrying any knock or small ailment into games - keep him fit and in form, giving 100% and when he can't do that, give him a rest.

It's obvious to me that Calsher is on a winning streak that could rival Bill Goldberg. As such, I suggest he gets interviewed after every game but all he says is "Who's next?" with a snarl.

I'm surprised I haven't been hired by the AFL yet as an ideas man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back