Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Every time I see there is a new post in this thread I get a teensy bit excited thinking it is a contract announcement. Then I click on it and get sad again.

I will add impetus to these negotiations. Conor, if you can hear me, I cook really good potatoes. I will deliver a bucketload of said potatoes every week for a year if you sign in the next week. I'm 50% Irish so you know they are legit. Love, Humidhawk

PS I am not currently based in Australia but I hear shipping is incredibly efficient these days

I'm sure he's (almost) signed, sealed and delivered.
Thing is, every time he plays well (and he's on a great streak at the moment), his final price just goes up that little bit more..
I'd be surprised if there isn't already agreement on his value between club and player/manager. Everyone involved would know how very important he is to the team and our future. His consistent form is just evidence that supports that, not a weekly revelation that he's worth even more than the week before.

If he hasn't already signed then I'm sure the reason has more to do with the uncertainty of how we're structuring our cap payments in 2025 with a number of high value targets that we are probably looking to front load deals on. If any of those fall through then we'd probably look to bring forward payments on other deals like Nash's.

I'd be surprised if there isn't already agreement on his value between club and player/manager. Everyone involved would know how very important he is to the team and our future. His consistent form is just evidence that supports that, not a weekly revelation that he's worth even more than the week before.

If he hasn't already signed then I'm sure the reason has more to do with the uncertainty of how we're structuring our cap payments in 2025 with a number of high value targets that we are probably looking to front load deals on. If any of those fall through then we'd probably look to bring forward payments on other deals like Nash's.
Or, North have opened the warchest, offered 1m a year and we can't match it.

If there was a crazy big offer like that from another club then his manager would have made sure it was reported by a journo by now.

I'm not concerned at all. He has full backing from the coach and has worked his way into our starting 4 mids in a team that's going places. Jumping now would only be for money and he doesn't seem like the type.

If Tops says it's done, it's done. Why the club hasn't announced it, I neither know nor care, but it's not uncommon for announcements to be made weeks later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly the type of player I'm throwing big dollars at if I'm another club. I'd have him easily more valuable than Perryman or Battle, and you can see the kind of money we're throwing at them!
Also the reason I am not fuly on the battle/perryman wagon yet. Once Nash is signed, I will be.

I would suspect Nash would/should get a decent package and we will lose compo benefits if we sign even one of the free agents.

For FFS Ben McKay got a first round compo

If Tops says it's done, it's done. Why the club hasn't announced it, I neither know nor care, but it's not uncommon for announcements to be made weeks later.
I'd think they've agreed on contract length but with a few great performances in the last few weeks he might be holding out for more money, don't blame him.

I'd think they've agreed on contract length but with a few great performances in the last few weeks he might be holding out for more money, don't blame him.
Or, they've agreed to overall terms, but can't formalise the paperwork until they know what other contracts (FA with heavy front-loading) are coming in.

Nash might have agreed to 4m over 5, but is that 800*5, or 1250*2 and 500*3?

Why would he go to a coach who thinks his best position is to play as a tall forward pocket?

This is why the worry until an announcement.

liveblogging GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back