Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

I was looking at his stats this morning and there is a disturbing trend down on everything you'd want to be going up, across years 2021, 22 and 23. His first year stats, albeit based on 5 games, were highly encouraging. If it's a lack of fitness, why is his best year his first?

Potentially better suited to Clarko's game style than Sams?

I'd love DGB to make it, but with limited list spots and our moment in the sun fast approaching, we don't we have the luxury of waiting for him to 'maybe' fulfil the promise and hope we had.

I think a 3rd rounder from a team thinking they can get him right, is the best we can hope for. Alas, I feel he will be delisted though.

I'd rather keep Serong as a more solid backup and feel we can only retain one of them. Not as much potential upside, but can hold down a role.

If we manage to secure Battle, that will be it for DGB.
If we only got to keep one, and you switch their places in the draft it’s a no brainer.
Hopefully the coaching team can sort it, they see and know more than us. I pictured him as a Lever type player for us when he was drafted, but from the outside looking in he will only get an extension in the hope we didn’t burn pick 6.
If he was pick 76 no way would he be retained on what he’s shown in development.

Did we delist him tonight? Reading the last couple of pages, i wouldn't have been surprised
Yep let’s give the young man some clear air on this forum. It’s ridiculous how many times each week he gets written off.

I just think there’s too much potential upside with his football ability to turf him at 22. He’s a KPP so we must afford him a year or 2 more. Too many players have come good in their mid 20s playing similar roles like McGovern, T.Stewart to throw him to another club

Bloke just returned from injury and we're expecting Glen Jakovich from day 1
Can we equally stop doing this then? No one is expecting him to come back from injury and instantly dominate, heck most of the discussion hasn't even been centred around his return. It is about his career to date.

Almost everyone would be content just seeing him show he is clearly above VFL level or something similar at this stage.

Anyone who’s watched Denver knows this isn’t the issue, his strength is his positioning and ability to read the ball. He just hasn’t got the physical capacity with his tank or strength. His pace, leap and mongrel are great, and his footballing ability is not the issue.

He will probably end up going to WC and become McGovern’s replacement and be a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

played well today, on an AFL player in Weidemann.
awesome in the air, one truly spectacular intercept mark in the last quarter.
given how many talls are up front for GWS, he might get a run next week.

Very good in the VFL today. Still think we should work with him if he feels he needs a change of club, but could definitely see him taking a post-Frost role in the side.
Great game against weak opposition. If he can string that sort of performance together for a few weeks it will give the selection committee something to discuss. Loved his decision making today, absolutely looked the part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back