Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras (delisted 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone actually used a good analogy the other day - Gold Coast are trading Cryptocurrency whilst the rest of the competition are using Dollars.
As previously posted we essentially got Scrimmers for pick 52.

They traded a highly talented, former pick 7 after only two years for pick 52!

Unless the player in question has some serious off field issues (which I strongly doubt Jack ever has) that’s just such a crazy trade.

As you say GC seem to trade in crypto, they don’t really put a value on trade picks (why would they when they are propped up by Head Office).

Unless the player in question has some serious off field issues (which I strongly doubt Jack ever has) that’s just such a crazy trade.

As you say GC seem to trade in crypto, they don’t really put a value on trade picks (why would they when they are propped up by Head Office).
I remember speaking to someone here when we were putting the early work into Scrim and he didn't want to be there from day dot. I know we get on young kids for the whole homesick thing but from all accounts that was the case with Scrim and I'm pretty sure he ask for a trade after year 1 which put him in the doghouse from there on out and he was banished to the 2s. Can't remember if was Topiary or TylerDurden or someone else but if I recall correctly it was him and someone else there at the time that we were into from the moment they were drafted.

Wasn’t the story that he just didn’t engage with the club at all?

He was on his phone during meetings and pretty much just didn’t care at all.

Its only once he came back to us that he started to knuckle down and only the last year have we seen him really start to realise his talents.

If the stories are true it makes sense why the suns traded him for next to nothing.

Wasn’t the story that he just didn’t engage with the club at all?

He was on his phone during meetings and pretty much just didn’t care at all.

Its only once he came back to us that he started to knuckle down and only the last year have we seen him really start to realise his talents.

If the stories are true it makes sense why the suns traded him for next to nothing.
Horribly homesick was my understanding.

We sometimes can forget what it can be like for some youngsters, just suddenly cut off from every one they know, including their immediate family, most of all.

I remember Robert Walls talking about when he was Bears coach, going to a new recruit's place during the guys first year, and found him crying, missing his mum. :(

Mitch Thorp, Beau Dowler and DGB... Def need to trade pick 6 away if we ever get it again.
We had pick 5 and picked Campbell but we weren't allowed to get him because Swans get special treatment to help them get to grand finals and get thrashed.

I still can't get my head around how Gold Coast let Jack go so cheap.

I would have thought that even just watching him at training they could tell he was a talent.

Still who are we to complain!
I think they extended him to a 4 year contract almost immediately after drafting him as they were struggling with retention. Then after 2 years he was injured in a bit, underperforming and not happy there.

They needed his contract off the books so let him go cheap.

I remember speaking to someone here when we were putting the early work into Scrim and he didn't want to be there from day dot. I know we get on young kids for the whole homesick thing but from all accounts that was the case with Scrim and I'm pretty sure he ask for a trade after year 1 which put him in the doghouse from there on out and he was banished to the 2s. Can't remember if was Topiary or TylerDurden or someone else but if I recall correctly it was him and someone else there at the time that we were into from the moment they were drafted.
A mate of mine was working at gold coast at the time of the trade and I asked him about scrimshaw as I didn't know much as about it. Friend said that he "hated it there, so did heaps of other players."

A mate of mine was working at gold coast at the time of the trade and I asked him about scrimshaw as I didn't know much as about it. Friend said that he "hated it there, so did heaps of other players."
More of an GC issue than a Scrimmers issue I feel.

They must not have a good culture at that club that so many young players want to leave as from a lifestyle perspective it's not the worst place in the world to live (especially for a young fella).

I also get the feeling that Jack is a huge Hawks numptie so he always wanted to come and play for us.

They must not have a good culture at that club that so many young players want to leave as from a lifestyle perspective it's not the worst place in the world to live (especially for a young fella).

I also get the feeling that Jack is a huge Hawks numptie so he always wanted to come and play for us.
You look at GWS and the culture they have built. Sure, they have had a lot of people leave but no one talks shit about the joint

One of the main issues was their stupid housing policy.

The 'club' had bought a bunch of 4 bed houses on a new waterfront estate - and put all young draftees in those houses.

In some cases there were 4 18 / 19 yr olds dumped in a house with no supervision.

I'm honestly amazed more of them didn't fall under the Bennell / Hunt / Stanley / Bock spell and be doing 8 balls instead of training.

The story goes that Hunt walked into training, waved a big baggie and half a dozen blokes just upped and left.

It was a masterclass into 'how to ruin a culture before it even starts'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can confirm. Was not happy going up there and clearly homesick.

Can’t say it was the reason he didn’t play seniors in season 2.

He was regularly injured and lacked the desire to really get his body right to play seniors at GC.

Which made sense - given he wanted to come home.

It’s taken a while for the penny to drop, but at 26 he’s….probably not playing games on his phone during match reviews anymore 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras (delisted 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back