Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Elon Musk

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok given the above I am going to be controversial here so say what you want about him as a person or that he was born into wealth but there are very few people as smart as Elon on the planet.

The battery technology that he created at the same time that he was working on a rocket propulsion system is insane. The fact that he didn't patent the battery technology is the reason for so many electric cars on the market. The man is a genius / eccentric and once again very few people have his work ethic or love for what he is doing. Fair to say there is no work / life balance.

Elon would have made his wealth either way he was always going to and if need be, could have patented his technologies to make even more.

Ok given the above I am going to be controversial here so say what you want about him as a person or that he was born into wealth but there are very few people as smart as Elon on the planet.

The battery technology that he created at the same time that he was working on a rocket propulsion system is insane. The fact that he didn't patent the battery technology is the reason for so many electric cars on the market. The man is a genius / eccentric and once again very few people have his work ethic or love for what he is doing. Fair to say there is no work / life balance.

Elon would have made his wealth either way he was always going to and if need be, could have patented his technologies to make even more.
Yes, up ending 3 established industries with technological innovation is unheard of. No one has done what he has done and to deny his vision and technical achievements is just foolish. Technical genius and probably the worlds greatest tosser. He seems to be losing his way in recent times and I wonder if it's a case of too much bathwater, too many drugs or a mental health issue manifesting. I know he is said to be 'on the spectrum' but after reading his biography I've always suspected he's bipolar.

It gets lost in the mythology of Musk but he's an investor not an inventor.

I won't discredit his vision. He's ambitious and he has found ways to disrupt established markets and industries. Kudos to him.

But his skills aren't in design nor engineering. He's a businessman.

He has 5 patents that have been completely inconsequential to his name.

Like Wozniak, it was Eberhard and Tarpenning who were the actual design/engineering brains behind Tesla. Musk basically financially bullied them into retroactively making him a 'co-founder' of Tesla.

The battery technology he created? The rocket propulsion he created?

There’s a shit tonne of engineers choking on their weaties right now.

Elon is an extremely hard working person who has great instincts for the future, and a better technical knowledge than the majority of similar "founders" considering he likely does have qualifications in Engineering (uncertain) and definitely does in Physics.

I would agree that he's definitely a highly intelligent person but as is often the problem with highly intelligent people, they maintain the same level of confidence in their knowledge even when treading ground that they are not experts in. He's not the only person with similar foibles - there's even a term for it amongst Nobel Prize winners:

For Elon's failings, you don't bumble your way into unthinkable wealth and his dedication to open source is a great thing. It just pays to ignore a lot of what he says.

Every story about him is about how much better things get developed/ work when he isn’t involved in the process.

He got kicked out PayPal and run twitter into the ground.

Even Tesla and SpaceX require massive government grants to have cashflow and Musk does absolutely no design work in there.

Musk is pretty much Trump that’s managed to luck into a technology boom and build a cult based upon his personality to have a massively overvalued company.

It’s only been the last few years that the mask and aura has fallen of Musk and people are starting to see him for who he is. Not the propaganda version he had lead people to believe.

Every story about him is about how much better things get developed/ work when he isn’t involved in the process.

Even Tesla and SpaceX require massive government grants to have cashflow and Musk does absolutely no design work in there.

Musk is pretty much Trump that’s managed to luck into a technology boom and build a cult based upon his personality to have a massively overvalued company.

It’s only been the last few years that the mask and aura has fallen of Musk and people are starting to see him for who he is. Not the propaganda version he had lead people to believe.
I don't think so mate. Engineers are the solutions. They make his designs and thoughts into reality. Elon is the visionary. Much of what he knows and there is a lot of that built the foundations for the battery technology. He was very much hands on in the development. It's not that he sits up on his chair and cracks the whip. That's just a fallacy. Anyway he is a polarising figure so I will leave it at that.

The battery technology he created? The rocket propulsion he created?

There’s a shit tonne of engineers choking on their weaties right now.
Mate the engineers built it no doubt but the conception and design is all Elon.

Elon Musk might spit shine his image a bit, but this is doing the complete opposite. He wasn't kicked out of PayPal, they sold it to eBay. The pivot to focusing on payment processing - the thing that made them a household name - was Musk's main direction as CEO before he stepped down.

I'm also not sure you can level government grants as a criticism for SpaceX, that would be like doing similar for Lockheed Martin. It is mostly a government contractor, and it performs a function for NASA both arguably more effective and inarguably cheaper than if NASA did the same thing in house.

Committing to buy an extremely overvalued Twitter was a poor decision, there are many others, but as said before you don't bumble into that level of wealth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The nepo baby from saffa millionaires has some pretty top end propaganda machines working hard for him, da.
This is an unnecessary drive by.

It's not hard to compliment someone without dragging someone else down.

Be better

I'd stop short of saying he created any of these. He funded existing technology to market. Credit for taking a risk and making it work, but no credit for being the brains behind the tech.

I'd stop short of saying he created any of these. He funded existing technology to market. Credit for taking a risk and making it work, but no credit for being the brains behind the tech.
This is just wrong mate. Elon has been compared to Einstein in terms of his aptitude, iq and critical thinking. Don't let his personality cloud your judgement. He was involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Elon Musk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back