Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the consequences of breaking the mandated leave? Could the club be additionally liable for training injuries etc? If so - makes perfect sense that we are letting him have the leave he has earned. Who knows - the kid might be at the club doing club induction, video sessions etc.

He’s been training hard in his own time too.

The only thing he owes the club is to be in good condition when he is due back. No reason to think that won’t be the case.
Yea - previous posts highlight that he's been doing training, so whilst Cornes is talking perception and appearances, if he's already putting in the work, who cares.

It did prompt me to think of Butler though and the work he's put in w/ Bennetts & JOS having a season under their belts, Ginni coming in and the spectre of Watson.

Found this on the AFLPA Website (Below text copied from their PDF version of the 2023-2027 Bargaining Agreement):

6.1 Post Season Leave
(a) AFL

(i) An AFL Player will be entitled to Leave between their Club’s Season Conclusion Date and Recommencement Date (Post Season Leave).

(ii) A Club’s Season Conclusion Date will be the Tuesday after the Club’s final Match of the AFL Season, except that:
(A) if the Club provides AFL Players days off on the Monday and Tuesday following its final AFL Match, then the Season Conclusion Date may be the Wednesday after the final Match;
(B) if a Club wins the Grand Final, the Season Conclusion Date may be the Wednesday after the Grand Final;
(C) if a Club used reasonable endeavours to complete individual medical screenings and follow up activities prior to the Season Conclusion 85 Date but was unable to do so, AFL Players may be required to attend for such reasonable activities after the Season Conclusion Date; and
(D) AFL Players may be required to attend the Club’s AFL Best and Fairest, which will be scheduled no later than the weekend following the AFL Grand Final.

(iii) In each year, the Recommencement Date will be as follows, provided that there is no material change to the end date of the AFL Season:

(A) the Recommencement Date for Clubs that did not participate in the AFL Finals Series will not be prior to the last Monday in November;

(B) the Recommencement Date for Clubs that participated in the AFL Finals Series will not be prior to the first Monday in December;

(C) a Club may require AFL Players with four or less years on an AFL List to return for off-field player development activities two weeks prior to its Recommencement Date where the Club did not participate in the AFL Finals Series;

(D) a Club may require AFL Players with four or less years on an AFL List to return for off-field player development activities one week prior to its Recommencement Date where the Club participated in the AFL Finals Series;

(E) Clubs, acting reasonably, may request attendance at training of specific AFL Players with five or more years on an AFL List who, in the reasonable opinion of the Club, have performance, fitness, treatment and/or development needs such that they should resume training earlier than the applicable Recommencement Date, provided that such AFL Players have agreed to return earlier than the applicable Recommencement Date and AFL and AFLPA have both approved the earlier return; and

(F) each AFL Player will receive a minimum of six weeks Leave prior to the Recommencement Date.

(G) In the event that there is a material change to the end date of the AFL Season, the Parties will discuss a reasonable change to the Recommencement Dates.

I assume because Ginnivan & Stephens went to North & Hawks they are covered moreso by Point F?

Also, I think there is a typo in their Point A, and that it should read "not prior to the first Monday in November".

Stephens - Sydney's last game was Sept 8, Conclusion date Tuesday Sept 12. 6 weeks leave gets him to Tuesday October 24th.
Ginnivan - GF was September 30, conclusion date is Wednesday October 4. 6 weeks leave gets him to Wednesday November 15.

Seems to me that Cornes needs to brush up on his facts, before opening his big mouth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow news day. Would have been nice if he was there, but given that it wasn't mandatory and the coaches are fine with it, then who really cares. Kornes just look for a story to justify his salary.

Thought I saw a pic the other week with Ginnivan doing a running session with a running coach …… Cornes probably chose to ignore that one didn’t he. He just has it with certain players/coaches. At the moment it sounds like Ginnivan could be in that group. But Cornes does change Hawks were woeful not long ago but Mitchell has won him over in recent times.

Cornes proving that there's no need to let petty things like facts and truth, get in the way of a good soundbite.

Stephens didn't play in the GF.
Has a fair bit to prove too after taking on very good money as a likely fringe player.
the point is, Ginny could have turned up to day 1 of our preseason if he wanted to, and out of all the players who didn't across all clubs, he's the only one singled out by Cornes. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell asked Cornes to send a message.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back