Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he avoided it, because it’s clear they did. A Pies preseason is probably as intense, if not more intense, than ours.

One of the many reasons they won so many tight games when it was on the line. They were fit, focused and very well prepared.

To suggest Ginnavin will get a “real pre-season” at Hawthorn (as opposed to where he’s been the past 3 seasons) is nonsense.

I feel Ginnivan may get a better preseason at the Hawks this year, than at the pies.

However that has nothing to do with the Pies pre season plans. A more to do with Ginnivan being inspired to do well after feeling unwanted and landing at his childhood club.

I feel Ginnivan may get a better preseason at the Hawks this year, than at the pies.

However that has nothing to do with the Pies pre season plans. A more to do with Ginnivan being inspired to do well after feeling unwanted and landing at his childhood club.
Remember, he missed the first 4 matches of the year, not due to being unfit but arising from the Torquay pub suspension.

He came back into their side in rd 5 after 2 VFL hit outs, and played in 8 straight wins before going out with illness and that's when his extended VFL run happened.

If he gets a better pre-season at the Hawks, it's probably because he will feel like he's player #15 on our list, and a very strong chance of playing every game, as opposed to player #25 on the Pies list and always under the pumps to get/hold a spot.

More to do with relative list strength than anything else.

Gotta get those skinfolds down
Rodney Eade mentioned that the Pies are doing more training without the footy than any other team, pure running and sprint drills.

Therefore Ginnivan either didn't buy into that program, or is simply young and still building his fitness. My read is that it was likely a mix of both. In 2022 he looked fitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering he has every right to take his entitled leave but has chosen to train at the club instead is the first great positive step of hopefully many more.
Which is exactly what Tom Mitchell did when he transitioned to Collingwood so he has the perfect transition blueprint. Tom's podcast with Ginni is an interesting watch.

He played in the GF.

The AFLPA mandate says he gets extra time off. Cornes is wrong.
Same mandate for Dylan Stephens though at North, didn't have to be there for 2 more weeks, but was there on day one.

Same mandate for Dylan Stephens though at North, didn't have to be there for 2 more weeks, but was there on day one.
Stephens didn't play in the GF.
Has a fair bit to prove too after taking on very good money as a likely fringe player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back