Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

I, for one, welcome our rascal pack overlords!

From the video in that article, calsher is alongside CJ and makes the same head movement as CJ. If the Adelaide player propped calsher, it’s calsher who would have been reported.

So the Adelaide player contributed to the head clash, which was very slight. Time to argue it I reckon

Only harsh on him because of what he could be. He was good yesterday but he needs to play through as though he's not going to get a free instead of doing the Daniher sulk on the ground, and he made a few poor decisions that ended up in 12 point turnarounds against us.

If he takes a few more cues from Moorey, those two will both be vying for AA HFF slots for the next 10 years.

Only harsh on him because of what he could be. He was good yesterday but he needs to play through as though he's not going to get a free instead of doing the Daniher sulk on the ground, and he made a few poor decisions that ended up in 12 point turnarounds against us.

If he takes a few more cues from Moorey, those two will both be vying for AA HFF slots for the next 10 years.
I agree that he needs to just cut it from his game. He’s not umpired objectively and he won’t get the free kicks other players who seek to milk them do. So he should stop going to ground so readily and not protest. He’s good enough not to need it and he will be even better if he develops that out of his game. It’s garbage he’s not umpired fairly but complaining won’t fix it. He needs to learn and adapt

To be fair, you rarely see him complain about it. I see posts (here and on FB) about how he looks to umpires for frees, but I can't say I've noticed that. He usually just gets up and gets on with it.

Also mentioned on a radio segment last week that he's trying to cut it out, but it's been instinct since he was 14.

Reminds me of Jeff Farmer. Could be better!

Works very hard and does some good things but still a very raw product that needs to work on many aspects of his game. Would also be good if the media stopped giving him so much attention. Moore kicked 5 goals yesterday yet the AFL site had a huge pic of Ginnivan on its home page.

Did Day think him as the other guys near the goals were more in the clear than they were?

View attachment 2008404

Day was just being a hypeman for Ginnivan, there was no malice or anything in it. Literally no other Hawks player reacted negatively to what Day was doing.

Works very hard and does some good things but still a very raw product that needs to work on many aspects of his game. Would also be good if the media stopped giving him so much attention. Moore kicked 5 goals yesterday yet the AFL site had a huge pic of Ginnivan on its home page.

AJ Styles is the best pure worker in the WWE but Roman Reigns has been on the promotional posters for majority of the past decade.

Ginni gets clicks. It isn't necessarily fair, but its the way it goes.

To be fair to Ginni, when you're averaging 16 touches, over a goal a game and you're team is winning then you're earning those photo opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the game on delay and was surprised to come on here into the autopsy thread, considering I was totally up and about, to see a mini lynch mob forming to send Ginni to box hill to break his ego.

If you've ever watched Akermanis on Open Mike it reminded me of him talking about his experience of Leading Teams at the Bulldogs! Break his spirit, who does he think he is!

Glad to see that the overall consensus is a lot of love for Ginni, I get the feeling that I'm a rare case in that I liked the little scamp even when he was wearing black and white stripes. Who can't love that interview where he was asked what his dream was as a kid and he said to play for Hawthorn and NDaicos pulls a wtf face.

Just Watched the Day rev up in full context and thought nothing of it. Looked like he was hyping Jack.

Nothing controversial about it at all.
Yep, as awkward as it was, it DEFİNİTELY was a rev up. These boys are demanding a lot more from each other, that port loss must've really stung big time!

The difference in him as a player gathering pieces of Moore's game already is unreal to watch. Really impressed with JG's maturity as a player and work off the field so far. Not something I'd thought would be so apparent so quickly.

Last edited:
Master stroke from coaches getting Ginni playing further up the ground, seems to find himself in the rights spots more often and not.

It makes him that much more dangerous, as he seems to be able to lose his opponent up the ground, and especially when he's working back into the forward line.

With Moore and MacDonald playing a similar role it just makes the entire forward unit more unpredictable and dynamic.

For his own sake I think it's good for him to be more involved in the general play up the ground. Not just because he's a smart and skilful player, but because he stays focussed.

Last edited:
Didn’t notice the incident at the ground but watching the replay I hope Day was ripping into Ginni after his goal for the way he selfishly did not execute the easiest of hit ups earlier to Dear straight in front of goal. That’s what the best leaders/players do!

The way Dear flies for marks is kamikaze like with little regard for his own safety ……. is to bring the likes of you Ginni into the game so do not forget this and never ever do it again as it was Dear’s turn for a lick of the ice cream. Having said this I still love ya Ginni 😊
The reason Ginni shanked the kick is because he tried last minute to hit the pass. When he instinctively goes for goal like his first goal it goes through the sticks. I think he got the ball in space knew turned to kick the goal and noticed the option as he was dropping the ball and ended up splitting the difference.

Had he kicked the goal there's be no complaint from me, it's his job to kick goals and if he's straight in front within distance he should just kick it. 1 skill execution is more efficient and reliable than 3.

The reason Ginni shanked the kick is because he tried last minute to hit the pass. When he instinctively goes for goal like his first goal it goes through the sticks. I think he got the ball in space knew turned to kick the goal and noticed the option as he was dropping the ball and ended up splitting the difference.

Had he kicked the goal there's be no complaint from me, it's his job to kick goals and if he's straight in front within distance he should just kick it. 1 skill execution is more efficient and reliable than 3.
Nah, he totally went for it and missed, evident on the TV by his reaction and hands in his head, knowingly frustrated that he should have passed the ball for a certain goal.

My take anyway.

I think he will end up in midfield and be a very good one, he could add that attacking flair with Mackenzie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back