Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

That he's very, very good and could have been better if not for his size - which is a limiting factor.

Not one person (that I've read) discussing his height has suggested that he won't become a quality player, or that he will be a bust.

Again, the height discussion has been had in the context of him being a top 5 pick.

Caleb Daniel was essentially the best performed player as a junior in his draft pool, but due to his height he slid to the 3rd round.

Watson is now the first player of his size to be selected so high, he's re-written history. The fact that this is even the case shows two things; he's considered to be incredibly talented AND that his size is a factor taken into consideration by recruiters.

For me personally the height (and thus size) issue is a discussion point as it is a limiting factor when looking at other potential roles for him at AFL level. His size will cap his potential versatility IMO.

However it's not a big deal given he looks destined to become an elite small forward, but that raises another point of consideration; that being using a top 5 pick on a small forward. Watson has broken the mould here, which is a testament to his outrageous talents.

Don't take those last two paragraphs as me being negative. Of the players left available at our pick I wanted us to take Watson. The point of those paragraphs is to simply highlight the discussion points.
Stop going on about it. Find another thread please.

Last edited:

This is my favourite Nick Watson video.
It breaks down his highlights into: Skills, Movement, Pressure, Marking, Scoreboard Impact.
This guy is Cyril II, just 3 inches shorter.

It's the ability to handle the ball at speed that catches the eye. Every highlights video has one of those moments where he'll pick it up one handed or just trap it beautifully while he's flashing through.

I loved his video from the Talent league grand final. His last quarter was full of highlights as he tried to get his team up and going. Some sizzling clearances, hard ball gets, smothers and bits of skill including this improbable one handed take. I mean, how many players in the AFL could do that?

I think that like Cyril, he's going to do a few things every game that you just quietly marvel at. I'm pumped.

This is my favourite Nick Watson video.
It breaks down his highlights into: Skills, Movement, Pressure, Marking, Scoreboard Impact.
This guy is Cyril II, just 3 inches shorter.

Didn't really click with me before but geez he moves like Wingard. Reckon Watson will benefit greatly having both Wingard and Breust as his game day coaches. Just feel it's important from day 1 he doesn't incorporate ducking into his game because he doesn't need to. As long as he doesn't (duck) then 99% of tacklers will almost always accidentally get him head high and this is where his lack of height can / will give him an advantage. If you cast your mind back to when Poppy started to let this creep into his game the umpires started letting some go that were actually head high so it will be something he'll need to make sure he doesn't let creep into his game.

Agreed but also think people should stop banging on about his height.

Becoming tiresome.

Just wait until TV commentators start raving on about it and any write-up about him refers to him as 'diminutive' or 'the little wizard'. It will be talked about his entire career - hence people need to chill about it otherwise they are in for a very bad time.

It's the ability to handle the ball at speed that catches the eye. Every highlights video has one of those moments where he'll pick it up one handed or just trap it beautifully while he's flashing through.

I loved his video from the Talent league grand final. His last quarter was full of highlights as he tried to get his team up and going. Some sizzling clearances, hard ball gets, smothers and bits of skill including this improbable one handed take. I mean, how many players in the AFL could do that?

I think that like Cyril, he's going to do a few things every game that you just quietly marvel at. I'm pumped.

His vision and that amazing floating hand pass are beautiful to watch also. Some of the positions he puts teammates in look like dumb luck but he just keeps doing it so it can't be. The way he plays I am almost going to enjoy watching him set up his teammates for goals more than when he is kicking them himself.

Just wait until TV commentators start raving on about it and any write-up about him refers to him as 'diminutive' or 'the little wizard'. It will be talked about his entire career - hence people need to chill about it otherwise they are in for a very bad time.
They called Gary Ablett the little master for his entire career and he's 182cm tall!

They called Gary Ablett the little master for his entire career and he's 182cm tall!

That always used to shit me. Particularly when Clive Churchill and Sachin Tendulkar also have that nickname and are more fitting of the title given they were below average in height and GAJ was above average.

That always used to s**t me. Particularly when Clive Churchill and Sachin Tendulkar also have that nickname and are more fitting of the title given they were below average in height and GAJ was above average.
Was a very strange nickname. Not only is he pushing 6ft, he was also a pretty a stocky bloke. Big set of legs and low centre of gravity - would have been pushing 90+ kegs most of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this discussion about height reminds me of the expression “a Collingwood six footer” which described a player who was five foot eleven and three quarters but over six feet with footy boots on.
Yes, I was 5’ 113/4” so I like to think of Watto as a Hawthorn 5foot eighter with his boots on.

Was a very strange nickname. Not only is he pushing 6ft, he was also a pretty a stocky bloke. Big set of legs and low centre of gravity - would have been pushing 90+ kegs most of his career.
That hunch did make him look smaller. Maybe that’s why?

I do laugh whenever BT refers to Caleb Daniel as the little man.

I personally am fervently praying that the conversation about the Wiz's height can continue right through at least a ten year career.

It is enthralling stuff, and I just hope that we can talk about his height in every post in this thread.

Good times!
It will be the equivalent of Pendlebury's basketball background.

"did you know he's only 170cm!"

It will be the equivalent of Pendlebury's basketball background.

"did you know he's only 170cm!"

When we start getting prime time games BT will make the Bigfooty height discussion look like a passing comment.

Napoleon Bonaparte likes this post.

Napoleon is thought to have actually been fairly normal height for a French person of the time - most historians speculate that he was around 168-170cm which was about the average of the time.

So 170cm and created one of the largest empires in history. Watto has nothing to worry about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back