Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean to tell me that the APS, private school, under-sized footballer is an arseh*le?
Colour me shocked.
One of the things I'm expecting from Wiz over the course of his career is that as he grows up in the Hawthorn system with people like Mitchell in charge is that that assholeness will be trained out of him/honed into an on-field weapon.
Our club culture seems to be incredibly strong on respect and support and I'd imagine if he has an arseh*le streak that is an issue it will be dealt with.

Hi, I'm back from Fiji but still on hols.
Just posting this here to reply to all the PM's - Yes, we got our man.
He was always our target player, the only other player we may have taken may have been Duursma. We never had a sustainable interest in Curtin and certainly not enough to make us trade a F1. As the more astute of you may have guessed, our F1 is central to our plans in bringing Smith over next trade period so there was virtually no way we were going to trade it.

Personally very happy the Wiz is at Waverley :)

I spoke to a couple of players from the Carlton AFLW team that I know and all of them said the Wiz was just about the most arrogant arseh*le any of them have ever met. Seems to have been a deliberate effort from Mitchell to bring in some players with a bit of mongrel and FIGJAM about them.

About time we need to bring back the unsociable Hawks tag.

Aaaaaanyway Nick Watson. I'm really curious to see how he fits in with the young group. We have a lot of other youngsters who are real short-back-and-sides, high-achiever types. Watto is a very laid back character by comparison.

Can't believe how much talent there is between Ward, Macdonald, Mackenzie, Weddle that we've barely scratched the surface of at AFL level. Reckon we'll see a lot of Ward and Frenchy hitting Watson on the lead over the next decade. Watto is so quick that he's just about unstoppable if the pass is correctly weighted.

What I've found amusing about the height debate is that I actually have a major concern over Watson, which has nothing to do with his stature but rather his set-shot kicking, and shot-taking in general. He creates so many opportunities that it masks the fact he can actually be a bit wasteful with the easier shots. We have two other small forwards in Bruest and Ginnivan, textbook opportunists who hold the gold standard goals-to-behinds ratio of 2/1. I hope Watto can learn to imitate them.

Last edited:
You mean to tell me that the APS, private school, under-sized footballer is an arseh*le?
Colour me shocked.
One of the things I'm expecting from Wiz over the course of his career is that as he grows up in the Hawthorn system with people like Mitchell in charge is that that assholeness will be trained out of him/honed into an on-field weapon.
Our club culture seems to be incredibly strong on respect and support and I'd imagine if he has an arseh*le streak that is an issue it will be dealt with.

I hope we do no such thing. Hodge was a ruthless arseh*le on the field. So was Jordan Lewis. Sam Mitchell himself had no issues being a dick to people on the field.

The game needs characters and we absolutely need a mouthy little pest in our ranks. So long as he’s backing it up with his performances I hope Watson revels in being a complete arseh*le to the opposition.

The game needs characters and we absolutely need a mouthy little pest in our ranks. So long as he’s backing it up with his performances I hope Watson revels in being a complete arseh*le to the opposition.
Why only the opposition?
james-sicily_ng5m28a4r5pj1ud94vf3dxjfw.png.webp

I hope we do no such thing. Hodge was a ruthless arseh*le on the field. So was Jordan Lewis. Sam Mitchell himself had no issues being a dick to people on the field.

Always worked out well for Akermanis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry- I meant purely off-field.

On field he can be a nasty little bastard all he wants with full blessings!

Hi, I'm back from Fiji but still on hols.
Just posting this here to reply to all the PM's - Yes, we got our man.
He was always our target player, the only other player we may have taken may have been Duursma. We never had a sustainable interest in Curtin and certainly not enough to make us trade a F1. As the more astute of you may have guessed, our F1 is central to our plans in bringing Smith over next trade period so there was virtually no way we were going to trade it.

Personally very happy the Wiz is at Waverley :)
Not sure I agree with what you've said here... we did try and trade our F1 on the night for Curtin...

This is my favourite Nick Watson video.
It breaks down his highlights into: Skills, Movement, Pressure, Marking, Scoreboard Impact.
This guy is Cyril II, just 3 inches shorter.

Almost looks the complete player. Crazy that he's said recently he was sore a lot of the time as the season wore on, and couldn't play at his best. He's going to benefit as much as anyone from an AFL strength and conditioning program. Pretty damn excited to see the finished product in light of that.

Again you’re getting ultra defensive over people who aren’t in any way attacking, doubting or questioning Watson and our decision to draft him. People need to chill.

Remember when Lance Franklin kicked 100 goals in 2008, and a load of people couldn't get past him not taking pack marks?

It's worth embracing Watson's nuanced footballing genius, and accepting that his career exists in a grey area where the value of his considerable talent exceeds the importance of a tape measure. The club did it, and I don't think it's unfair to expect the wiser heads on this board to also.

Aren’t they all dodgy, I thought it was a prerequisite.

They can be more dodgy, you'd be surprised what happens in other markets.

That said, I knew a really honest one in Australia. He was in super high demand because he was a former builder, and told people the truth. Was top of the heap in some leafy suburbs, and a Hawks man to boot.

He seems to be the exception though.

I wonder what his endurance base is like. He mentioned it was a point of improvement, but he seems already capable of getting a respectable number of possessions on the outside, which would indicate a decent running ability. I'll be curious to see how he goes in the time trial.

I think he'll be a bit of a project for Peter Burge, as he has such a big impact-per-possession, that building his aerobic capacity will be the obvious path towards stardom. At the same time, he finished the year in a moonboot and mentioned that his body struggled towards the back end of the year, probably due to the increased mileage of playing further up the ground. He mentioned that Sam had already pulled him and the other draftees out of a few drills during their first week. It'll be an interesting balancing act to observe over pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back