Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even 1 lousy vote in the rising star, not even a place among the 11 vote getters.
Why the hell did they interview him beforehand if he wasn’t getting any votes?

Surely Fox Footy were advised of the result ahead of time so they could talk to the players who placed.

Dempsey is very average. Up there with R Palmer and L Taylor as the worst winners of the rising star.
Dempsey is 3 years in the system and had already played 7 or 8 games last year. Kind of BS.

Dempsey is very average. Up there with R Palmer and L Taylor as the worst winners of the rising star.
I don't think we need to dump on other players to prop up the Wiz. He is phenomenal and i wouldn't trade him for any of those guys but Dempsey is a very good player in his own right.

Dempsey is 3 years in the system and had already played 7 or 8 games last year. Kind of BS.
Whatever happened to the downgrading they did on Burton as a 2nd year player compared to whatever flog it was that beat him?

It really is s stupid award when you actually compare Dempsey to his draft class who have performed far better than him.

Aflca best young player award and the aflpa best first year player award should really be given far more weight.

It seems like Brownlow, AA, Coleman, Norm Smith and Rising Star have some prestige above other awards but really outside of the Coleman which is a objective award and they aren't any better than the other awards.

There is no reason for Norm Smith to be held in a higher regard than the 3aw best player votes or having coaches or umpires or old mate dazza.

Brownlow is good as at least they vote on it for performance in each game. Unlike aflpa award. But the coaches association award should rank higher as they will know if their players who appear to play well had been slack on defence or if an opponent was particularly impacting the game other than just looking flashy.

If all Australian wanted more credibility it should not be these end of year meetings and based off vibes and stats we with selectors not seeing every game. Coaches submit team sheet each week after the game (in case players end up in other positions due to injury etc..., based on the position each player is named in you give a 3,2,1 in the round of how well they perform that role. Then you can name a 1st 2nd and 3rds team for the votes.

Interchange would be made up from players who got most votes but not the most in 1 position. E.g Hardwick gets 14 votes as a back pocket and 6 as a forward pocket. Not enough for either position but more than the guys selected in those positions.

I don't think we need to dump on other players to prop up the Wiz. He is phenomenal and i wouldn't trade him for any of those guys but Dempsey is a very good player in his own right.
I don't think he's that good. I'd put money on him being back to in and out of the Geelong side next year.

Because they thought he'd finish second or third in voting
No they didn't. They knew, all the media people there knew - Chompers spoiled the results of multiple awards by accident earlier on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would appear that even the journalistic side of the AFL is a boys club or dictatorship, where if you don't follow the agenda you could lose your accreditation.

Not to receive 1 single vote is a down right joke, if anything he should have easily been 2nd and received numerous top votes.
And the 2 faveforutes who were not eligible due to suspension not receiving a vote either...

Meh. Initial thought is that not getting a vote is a joke, second thought is that I'd take Wiz ahead of every name listed. Glad we've got him.
As Dermie would say "I won’t say I’m shocked, but I am genuinely...... genuinely surprised."
How the hell did he not get a single vote, I haven't heard of half of the spuds on that list.

Not even 1 lousy vote in the rising star, not even a place among the 11 vote getters.

Logan Morris got more votes than Wiz? Are you joking?!?

How stupid. This guy is to a better than all of them!
Morris is a serious talent. In terms of first year forwards he’s second only to Calsher. He’s not the one I’d be calling out.

Anyway the rising star means little in terms of a player’s overall career.

7th place – Darcy Jones (6 votes)
8th place – Matt Roberts (3 votes)
9th place – Lawson Humphries (2 votes)
=10th place – Caleb Windsor (1 vote)
=10th place – Logan Morris (1 vote)

surprised especially with this tripe
Who the **** are Matt Roberts and Lawson Humphries? At least the other names I recognise. I think.

Why the hell did they interview him beforehand if he wasn’t getting any votes?

Surely Fox Footy were advised of the result ahead of time so they could talk to the players who placed.
They would interview him because he is already box office and recognizable. Kids love him. People will come to the footy to watch him. Compare his charisma to the list of non-personalities that got votes.

Nobody is going to the footy to watch Lawson Humphries or Logan Morris

They would interview him because he is already box office and recognizable. Kids love him. People will come to the footy to watch him. Compare his charisma to the list of non-personalities that got votes.

Nobody is going to the footy to watch Lawson Humphries or Logan Morris
Totally agree, but what I’m getting at is they as the broadcasters would have known he wasn’t getting votes. To interview him in the lead up and then reveal no one voted for him is pretty poor planning and almost like they were setting him up.

Totally agree, but what I’m getting at is they as the broadcasters would have known he wasn’t getting votes. To interview him in the lead up and then reveal no one voted for him is pretty poor planning and almost like they were setting him up.
Tbh, I don't mind any of this at all for purely selfish reasons.

Watto looks like a guy who has thrived on adversity his whole career and probably "takes receipts" in the same manner Moorey does / did.

Coming into finals you could do worse than having an energised, pissed off, firecracker ball of mayhem like the Wiz running amok in the forward half 😉

Who the **** are Matt Roberts and Lawson Humphries? At least the other names I recognise. I think.

With respect, you probably would know both if you had watched Sydney and Geelong games. Both have been impressive and put up some big numbers.

Roberts had a 36 touch, 8 mark and 1 goal game against the Doggies. That's impressive. But the biggest issue is both are 21, and Roberts is in his third season, whilst Humphries was a mature recruit.

I don't think he's that good. I'd put money on him being back to in and out of the Geelong side next year.
There is zero chance he will be in/out of the Geelong team next year, he is an absolute lock.
Scott loves him, he's going to be a very good player and he is such a point of difference to what Geelong currently have.
Dempsey is a future star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back