Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Very impressive first year 52 shots at goal, and 25 goals.

He'll have 60+ shots at goal next year and kick 40+ goals. ABSOLUTE GUN!

...and NINE OOF.

...and probably another half-dozen or more that didn't make the distance.

I think it was 66 or 67 shots at goal I saw somewhere - most "ever" by a 1st year player ("ever" being since Champ Data or whoever started tracking shots).

I had the advantage of seeing him in action for two preseasons mate. It was easy for me
My prediction going in to next season is that Cody Anderson will have a similar surprising impact on the supporters of whoever draft him (hopefully us).

Any other juniors to keep our eyes out for?

Wow what a 1st season of footy. I wasn't sure he was ready when he made his debut & really wanted him to earn his spot. Bloody hell all the misses aside I was instantly in awe of his work rate. He's a bloody ripper & so glad we got him. Plays his role perfectly, has swagger & is a bit feisty too boot.
Can't wait to see him.kick some ridiculous goals & take some absolute speccies next year.

This kid could be the most damaging player in the competition. He has it all: speed, game sense, marking, kicking (I know he has had some challenges), his defensive pressure is elite and he's sooooo hungry. I hope that while he's having fun he also realises his incredible potential and lifts his professionalism to the highest point possible. He could be anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know if it’s because of playing in the same age group and they came through together but both the Wiz and Reid have something in common …….. a mindset/attitude of all out attack to beat their opponent and to open up the game.

We are fortunate to have a coach that will allow the Wiz to play to his strengths. Recall the first practise game over summer and as soon as the Wiz touched the ball Sam was yelling out from the other side of the ground, “NOW DO YOUR THING TAKE IT ON”!

Don’t know if it’s because of playing in the same age group and they came through together but both the Wiz and Reid have something in common …….. a mindset/attitude of all out attack to beat their opponent and to open up the game.

We are fortunate to have a coach that will allow the Wiz to play to his strengths. Recall the first practise game over summer and as soon as the Wiz touched the ball Sam was yelling out from the other side of the ground, “NOW DO YOUR THING TAKE IT ON”!
Last December was at a training and the same. Wiz was at half back in this drill ie wasn't running up from the forward line. The drill started from the Wiz or the other half back and was encouraged to look for gaps, draw players and go through the middle was often the choice. Sam was next to him and it was that late career Sam at half back type role. First sessions as a Hawk but these followed his other preseasons.

I think people can see the confidence as arrogance, it isn't. To start your career with the yips and end it with the yippees is pretty impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back