Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

I was exactly the same, just couldn’t get over his height and felt that Duursma and Curtain were far safer bets…. Thank god Norf shit the bed again with a top 5 pick.

I knew he was the best available pick. I feel for those who had some anxiety early on and weren't convinced.

Although it would be pretty cool watching him improve each week and slowly realising you had nothing to worry about.

Height was never an issue. Nick Daicos, Lachie Neale, Dylan Moore, Zach Merrett, Kosi Pickett, Tom Papley... all weren't blessed with the ability to reach every top shelf. Still top shelf footballers regardless.

I loved the changed of speed and direction of one of his goals. Watto is going at absolutely full tilt into our 50 with Breust and gets the handball, and then he slows right down and his opponent is thrown off, and then he's off to the right and bang snaps it true. Was brilliant to watch.
Has been slipping over a lot this season. But didn’t see him lose traction once in what was a very wet game.

Scary thing is that according to Matthew Lloyd it was his aerial contests that impressed people most in his junior footy. We've seen glimpses – and boy can he launch himself – but reckon that's a whole new side of his game we're yet to be treated to. Def has a MOTY in him.
The play that made me love the kid was the one I think against the Saints where they made one last push at the end of the game and he was alone on the wing in a 2 v 1 and he killed the ball jumping high and took out both guys.

That play pretty much saved the game for us because if he didn’t go when he needed to then it was a turnover and they would’ve had a great opportunity to win it.

Pretty sure it was the same game where he blew that easy shot right in front of goal when Sicily threw his hands up in frustration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The play that made me love the kid was the one I think against the Saints where they made one last push at the end of the game and he was alone on the wing in a 2 v 1 and he killed the ball jumping high and took out both guys.

That play pretty much saved the game for us because if he didn’t go when he needed to then it was a turnover and they would’ve had a great opportunity to win it.

Pretty sure it was the same game where he blew that easy shot right in front of goal when Sicily threw his hands up in frustration.
That was the doggies game at marvel.

Love this from Sam that no one but me is to tell him how to kick for goal. The kid only needs one voice in his ear showing him what to do and what better person to do that than one of the greatest kicks of the ball of all time.

It was a different sport but I remember when Shaq couldn’t hit free throws throughout his career he mentioned that he’d have many people on a daily basis offering him tips on what to do.

My guess is Meek got the clearance for the secondary tap to Watson for him to gather possession. Only explanation as to why Watson doesn’t have a clearance.
Just took another look. I don’t think Meek got the second tap. Hard to tell from the angle. Either way, Daniel Hoyne clarified what counts as a clearance last Tuesday on SEN and it’s the first clear disposal at a stoppage which is what Watson had.

My guess is Meek got the clearance for the secondary tap to Watson for him to gather possession. Only explanation as to why Watson doesn’t have a clearance.
This was my thought as well but Meek only has 2 centre clearances listed and he got the first one of the game and one earlier in the fourth.

Seems to be the case of the missing centre clearance. Need put a call in to Poirot to solve it

IMG_0532.jpeg

I’m concluding that it was misattributed to Amon. Flicked through the 4th quarter to check the CBAs and Amon never lined up at any. Though he did win a clearance within the centre square but it was a secondary stoppage, so not certain.

View attachment 2056291

I’m concluding that it was misattributed to Amon. Flicked through the 4th quarter to check the CBAs and Amon never lined up at any. Though he did win a clearance within the centre square but it was a secondary stoppage, so not certain.
Amon’s was a different one where the pies won it and handballed it straight to him

Never in doubt. This guy as I have mentioned several times before will be a star of the comp. Hawthorn supporters will go just to see the show. An excitement machine who has all the tricks and can kick them from anywhere. The best is yet to come. Get Ready...

This is the moment I knew we had something. It’s also hilarious that the casual oppo flogs who are whining about his media attention just cling to ‘BuT He MiSsEs a LoT’ - I now get why he went so high for a small forward because he’s freakishly talented with ball in hand and without it. He’s a hell of a lot more than just a small forward. Genuinely feel sorry for neutrals who can’t enjoy what he does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back