Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get the obsession with weight. The quartet of 400 game players were physique wise, all prick and ribs. The catalyst for his most significant absence from the game was the double tackle he received against Richmond where his body got spun around and his foot got trapped. He could have weighed 300kgs and the result would have been the same.

I don’t get the obsession with weight. The quartet of 400 game players were physique wise, all prick and ribs. The catalyst for his most significant absence from the game was the double tackle he received against Richmond where his body got spun around and his foot got trapped. He could have weighed 300kgs and the result would have been the same.
"Prick and ribs" :tearsofjoy: Haven't heard that in years. Excellent.

That's not the issue, that was a freak injury that could have happened to anyone.

Standing up in the contest, getting hit by bigger players, having to compete against bigger players in the trenches, standing up or riding tackles, tackling bigger players, contesting ground balls, etc. These are the issues where size will help.

Seen lots of mention of CMac as one who looks bigger and ready to make an impact in the midfield, yet there’s still this constant doubt from some that Day is too skinny to do the same.

Yet in this photo they are of a similar size. I’d actually say Day looks bigger across the shoulders and torso.

I see no reason Day can’t successfully make the move into the midfield.

09C6B451-D181-46EE-A1B9-9094AC2FC0B4.jpeg

Seen lots of mention of CMac as one who looks bigger and ready to make an impact in the midfield, yet there’s still this constant doubt from some that Day is too skinny to do the same.

Yet in this photo they are of a similar size. I’d actually say Day looks bigger across the shoulders and torso.

View attachment 1589679
Certainly looking bigger through the legs/core

View attachment 1589679
Marcus_Bontempelli_2017.6.jpg

I struggle to see a huge difference in size between Day and Bontempelli tbh.

View attachment 1589679
Looking at that I just realized how old I am. I swear I didn’t used to look this much older than our players, but damn they look young for emerging leaders!

View attachment 1589679
Yeh, I honestly don't understand the concern over Day's size. Doesn't look any more slight than Pendles.

Yeh, I honestly don't understand the concern over Day's size. Doesn't look any more slight than Pendles.
Maybe it was the early Fyfe comparisons when he was drafted that have set unrealistic expectations on the type of physique he needs to have to make the move into the midfield.

That's not the issue, that was a freak injury that could have happened to anyone.

Standing up in the contest, getting hit by bigger players, having to compete against bigger players in the trenches, standing up or riding tackles, tackling bigger players, contesting ground balls, etc. These are the issues where size will help.
They are the same height but Pendlebury has an additional 5kg in weight. No big deal given the age difference. It is very likely Day will add 5kg of muscle over the next few seasons.

View attachment 1589679
When he was drafted people said he wouldn't be able to play afl for a few years due to being to skinny. I pointed out that Brad Hill was told the same by North Melbourne yet played 5 games in his first year and played in 3 flags in his first 4 years.

If someone can play against men in the VFL they can play AFL it's the running, skill and structure that is the step up not the physical side.

Now playing half back or wing you can do without the strength but inside mid you need a bit. Xavier Ellis never got the body progress and people look at Day and see he is slim still and have doubts.

Well compare the photo from this year that above crypto shared. With this from his draft year.

Will is gaining plenty of weight and will have no trouble building a strong frame. Absolutely tracking like a fyfe did. images%20(1).jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he was drafted people said he wouldn't be able to play afl for a few years due to being to skinny. I pointed out that Brad Hill was told the same by North Melbourne yet played 5 games in his first year and played in 3 flags in his first 4 years.

If someone can play against men in the VFL they can play AFL it's the running, skill and structure that is the step up not the physical side.

Now playing half back or wing you can do without the strength but inside mid you need a bit. Xavier Ellis never got the body progress and people look at Day and see he is slim still and have doubts.

Well compare the photo from this year that above crypto shared. With this from his draft year.

Will is gaining plenty of weight and will have no trouble building a strong frame. Absolutely tracking like a fyfe did. View attachment 1589901
Great post. Additionally it looks like he’s been focusing on leg and core strength which is what will make the biggest difference keeping his feet in a tackle, etc.

I’m a firm believer in allowing Will’s body to develop naturally with age. After all, it is conditioning through miles under the belt that allows a player to sustain his output through the depths of winter. I wouldn’t be putting him on a modified program to bulk him up in any way. When people cite the advantages of bulking up- strength of the ball etc, they don’t consider what is lost in process. Put simply, it’s a double edged sword. Talk to any boxer who has gone up a weight division beyond his natural development through age, and he’ll tell you. One of things that make our game so great is that there is no ideal shape or size.

I think he is filling out nicely . Certainly looks a bit broader and stronger in the upper body .
Wont ever be huge and doesn't need to be the way he plays .

The extra few kgs and and uninterrupted pre season could just the confidence he needs to go next level

Just chuck him in the midfield and keep him there.

It’s not like we bat deep and are full of premiership / AA / Brownlow medal winning mids anymore.

He’s 22 and continually filling out.

Play him in the guts and watch him turn it on.

Will is gaining plenty of weight and will have no trouble building a strong frame. Absolutely tracking like a fyfe did. View attachment 1589901

Sure is - someone had to ….. image001.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The most important thing for Will at this stage is just getting preseasons under his belt. The change in his body will be gradual, but the confidence in his body and his footy will come much faster if he gets a full preseason without issue. He’s said as much himself.

The most important thing for Will at this stage is just getting preseasons under his belt. The change in his body will be gradual, but the confidence in his body and his footy will come much faster if he get a full preseason without issue. He’s said as much himself.
Also full time training with the mids. Learning to break tackles on the inside, all summer, will do him wonders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back