Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Uninspired by this pick. Feel like we've blown a chance to get an elite talent such as Kemp or Robertson.
There is a reason Robertson was a big slider.

Don’t get too downbeat though,because GW might trade back in and snare him before a bid comes for Finn.

The bloke reminds me of Jared Poiec on those highlights. Understandably that may not fill many in here with the glee you would expect from our first, first-round pick in years BUT.....

running at 82% efficiency is elite, there are no 2 ways to cut that. To give an idea; Houli has averaged ~79% over his career and Burgoyne ~78%.

Seems like he has a strong mark too. Could be anything and has the tools.

Glass is definitely half full.

My first thought was Stratton replacement, but as a couple of others have said, maybe we'll run him on the wing as Smith and Hendo are getting on. Saw him linked with us in one of the phantom drafts and didn't think he was what we needed first, but i trust the club. Clarko looked pretty stoked.

Now that you mention it he does seem very similar to Polec. Has the same lankiness and running style.

That was the first thought that came into my head upon watching those highlights... Has that same drive to take players on as well, backs himself. Good traits.

Seems like he will be one of those players time goes a bit slower for, looks slow and lanky but rarely caught.

Yeh...jeez....what a melt down....

36718607_1_O.jpg

My first thought was Stratton replacement, but as a couple of others have said, maybe we'll run him on the wing as Smith and Hendo are getting on. Saw him linked with us in one of the phantom drafts and didn't think he was what we needed first, but i trust the club. Clarko looked pretty stoked.

Not liking the idea that we draft a replacement for Stratton with our first top pick in years. I'd rather we look at drafting a game breaker or a player in a position we desperately need even - and lockdown medium defender is simply not a player we need ATM. Especially at the cost of a top pick.

f*** me... hows the poise on that? from 0:11 in the 2nd video... look at that clearing kick under pressure.... nails a bloke between 3 opponents within a 10 metre radius.... the pick up at 1:45! very excited now.

Day is an excellent all-round athlete and showcased his speed (2.96 20m sprint), endurance (21.2 yo-yo test) and leap (88cm running vertical) at the SANFL preseason combine testing. These athletic traits, paired with courage and an exceptional ability to read the play ensures the South Australian is ideally suited for a role patrolling the half-back line where he can orchestrate rebounds from defence. His foot skills, on both the left and right foot, allow Day to execute difficult kicks when under pressure. No doubt appealing to AFL clubs is his class, composure and movement with and without the ball, often appearing to cover the ground with minimal effort. Upon struggling for selection with Glenelg, Day transferred to West Adelaide and, this season, excelled in four reserves games with the Bloods’, where he averaged 17.4 disposals, 5 marks, 3.3 tackles and three inside 50s. These promising numbers reinforced his average of 26 disposals, 8.5 marks and 5.6 rebound-50’s in the SANFL Under 18s and 18 touches and 5 marks for the South Australia.

Whilst the medium-sized Day has exhibited his talents at a number of levels in 2019, he is lightly framed and considered a selection for the future, rather than one who can make an immediate impact at senior level next season. Currently weighing in at 70kg, he lacks the strength to compete with seasoned AFL bodies. Granted, Day may be a rangy, skinny player throughout his career, but this is an area clubs can easily build-up to the required standard over several pre-seasons. Although his eye-catching traits from half-back have been well documented, Day been exposed throughout the midfield only minimally and was restricted to a role as a pure defender for SA. Therefore, his potential in the middle of the ground remains unclear, in particular on the inside. Once he builds his strength, he could develop more of an inside game and be a versatile utility. However he certainly possesses a plethora of traits, including foot skills and speed, which suggests he could morph into a damaging midfield weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, Will is a grandfather/son selection!

How time flies: I remember the 1971 Grand Final, when Robert Day disapeared after half time, we didn’t realise until the next day that he was off the ground.
The game was so exciting, we didn’t notice any of that.

And welcome, Will, I hope you do one better than your grandfather, and see out a Grand Final and get to be part of a premiership!

and spookie as it may seem Davo, in those SA highlights noticed Will had donned the number 12 guernsey....same number his grandpa wore for the mighty hawks back in the early 70’s, Robert Day was a more than handy defender for us.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not liking the idea that we draft a replacement for Stratton with our first top pick in years. I'd rather we look at drafting a game breaker or a player in a position we desperately need even - and lockdown medium defender is simply not a player we need ATM. Especially at the cost of a top pick.

Fair point. Now I've watched a bit of him he's quite a different player. But thinking of our back six in two years, he may slot in and Stratts may not.

You think Xavier Ellis was worth a number three pick in a draft, the bloke was a passenger that couldn't turn his child body into a mans, knocked off the ball too easy. Absolutely was of pick and I am sure this will be.

Number 3 pick was worth his 2008 GF performance alone.

Ill long-term avatar bet you that Day makes 150 games for us.

Thank you for those videos.
1. He looks a player, for sure IMO.
2. Excellent game smarts, awareness, skill execution and decision making.
3. Impacts the contest - intercept marks, wins the ground ball, great ball handling, excellent handballs in close.
4. Constructs play. Almost every time he gets the ball he puts his team in a better position, if not in the clear.

We definitely need a player like him, and where he ends up will depend on his physical development, which I expect to take 2 seasons or more before he is established. He reminds me of the kind of football smarts we lost when Mitchell, Hodge, Gibson retired.

I am on board.
Welcome young man.

You think Xavier Ellis was worth a number three pick in a draft, the bloke was a passenger that couldn't turn his child body into a mans, knocked off the ball too easy. Absolutely was of pick and I am sure this will be.

xavier Ellis would have won a Norm Smith if he hadnt been injured. Get a grip you child.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back