Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see this as a replacement for Smith or Stratton... I look at this guy, and think that Hawthorn are thinking Whitfield.

Who for the record is a whopping 81kg.... but also deadly accurate, clean skills on both sides, with vision and attack. I'm liking this pick.

That a no on the bet and no his 2008 GF performance alone was not worth the pick. Mitch Thorp was a better pick than Xavier Ellis....ok won't go that far.

9% of players make 150 games... you can't be THAT sure he is going to be a bust... you had me on toast in that bet haha :p

And even with a strikeout that sentence made me want to vom.

This pick makes a lot of sense.

Usually, we'd draft a Forward, strip weight off them & turn them into a Defender.

With Day, he's already skinny & a defender.

In reality, we've probably saved ourselves 2-3 years!!!

Like a lot here I wasn't thrilled seeing we'd drafted a half back flanker but having watched some of those clips it's obvious the club sees him help fill the hole we have in the side at the moment in terms of foot skills and decision making

.. maybe we'll run him on the wing as Smith and Hendo are getting on. Saw him linked with us in one of the phantom drafts and didn't think he was what we needed first, but i trust the club. Clarko looked pretty stoked.

I think that he'll be a winger. He has elite endurance, athletic but light and can hit targets on the run. If you saw that on a profile you'd swear it was for a winger. If Clarko is stoked then so am I. They may have picked up someone who is not Dylan Stephens but might be an upgrade on Jeremy Sharp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see this as a replacement for Smith or Stratton... I look at this guy, and think that Hawthorn are thinking Whitfield.

Who for the record is a whopping 81kg.... but also deadly accurate, clean skills on both sides, with vision and attack. I'm liking this pick.
Agree. Whitfield type.

I think getting to our pick without Finn having been bid on May have allowed us to reach a tad knowing we can get a stronger bodied mid in Finn next.

I'm excited. First high pick we've had in ages and we've obviously seen some qualities in Will that we can develop and exploit in the coming years.

We don't need him to play round 1, we need him to be at Box Hill and committed to learning the Hawthorn way.

His lick of the icecream will come soon enough.

This exactly! A very raw version of Whitfield. I like what I see.

Excited for young Will as he looks quite talented.

Find selecting a HBF strange though.. are we not set there?
Yeh I understand the reasoning though Will doesn't look like playing for a few years yet. With Stratts and Frawley in their 30's he'll hopefully be ready to go when they step out. He may even move into the midifeld in some capacity once he puts on some kg's. I personally really like the pick.

Welcome Will, like his highlights.
He does attack the ball and another article mentioned courage as an attribute he has.

We have time for him to fill out, and hopefully he will.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can definitely see him playing on the wing. Moves the ball well. He isn't just kicking it sideways either, he seems to always be looking to either move it forward or get it back out into space to allow a teammate to move it forward.

He'll probably put a little bit of muscle mass on but I would expect he'll probably stay pretty lean like Smith.

Read somewhere earlier in the week when we were linked with this kid that he has the biggest upside in the top 20-30 prospects.

This could be code for he needs time to develop, or he could be a gun player. Certainly has an elite talent with his kicking and plenty of other tools to work will.

All the best young fella. Just don’t let them give you jumper number 36

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back