Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the actual risk though? If it's anything like an AC joint injury where there is no healing to be done (no possible it doesn't heal, just stays torn forever) 2 weeks or 2 years makes no difference to the function of his body or it hurting again.

It's not like a muscle tear or broken bone where it needs to heal or a ligament surgery like ACL reconstruction that has recovery time and healing.

Not sure about SC joint but AC joint I did a grade 3 tear and it's still a grade 3 tear now 12 years later. My collarbone is completely separated from my shoulder joint but my arm works fine and it doesn't hurt outside of certain movements or directly poking the bone. I had 2 weeks off basketball and 4 off football when I did it. If I was a professional player with pain management, rehab and physio access, plus the strength that comes from being a full time athlete it would have been less than 4 weeks. Also finals on the line you push it a bit.
I’m going to go full bush Dr and say “but wouldn’t it be at risk of arthritic stuff developing if it pops out again etc?”

PS I actually have no idea and I am guessing

I’m going to go full bush Dr and say “but wouldn’t it be at risk of arthritic stuff developing if it pops out again etc?”

PS I actually have no idea and I am guessing
The more you damage the ligament the more unstable it becomes and recurrence and arthritis become more likely. The AFL footballers have terrible arthritis, often before they finish their careers. I've looked at ankle X-rays and just shaken my head and thought what a mess, how does he play with such an arthritic joint. It's a really tough game on the joints, high speed, contact with high impact, frequent changes of direction, leaping, long endurance - you couldn't design a worse game for the joints.

The more you damage the ligament the more unstable it becomes and recurrence and arthritis become more likely. The AFL footballers have terrible arthritis, often before they finish their careers. I've looked at ankle X-rays and just shaken my head and thought what a mess, how does he play with such an arthritic joint. It's a really tough game on the joints, high speed, contact with high impact, frequent changes of direction, leaping, long endurance - you couldn't design a worse game for the joints.
Can I start practicing medicine now (since I semi nailed this)?

Would the affected area be more at risk of further, more significant, injury if he plays? That's the main (imagined?) concern for mine.

Or is it just a matter of Day dealing with some discomfort and potentially some restricted movement?
The SCJ is a very sturdy joint (lots of strong ligaments), hence why it is rarely dislocated. Due to the partial dislocation it's unlikely Will ruptured the ligaments surrounding the joint, more likely they just stretched a tad (I am just guessing as I obviously don't have access to any images).

He'll probably have a slightly increased risk of another partial dislocation as 3 weeks isn't enough for the ligaments to tighten back up. But it is a very rare injury, so re-injury risk would be low. So more than likely not enough to justify him not playing if he's able. The reward will far outweigh the risk.

If it’s decided he can play (ie jab it and still be able to perform), the docs/coaches/Will will need to decide if or should play. The things to consider for mine:

1. What level can he perform at? If it’s only 75% I’d it better for the team to bring in another mid?

2. What’s the chance of Reiner reinjury? If it goes again in the first quarter we lose the facility of our sub.

3. What’s the chance of long term damage? We all want him in, but if there’s a long term cost I’d hate to push him for this one game and have he l his long term capacity reduced by 5-10%.

Will be an interesting call for the whole HFC team and will to make.

The same injury that ruled Peter Everett out of 1997 GF, and reckons he could barely lift his arms let alone sustain a blow 3 weeks out, so it will be touch and go.

The same injury that ruled Peter Everett out of 1997 GF, and reckons he could barely lift his arms let alone sustain a blow 3 weeks out, so it will be touch and go.

Didn't Spider do a full break of his collar bone? He was never a chance at playing from my limited memory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't as bad. He was able to take a photo lifting his arm around a person. Yes it's not a big deal but he is already out there on the track

I’ve done the same thing as Day, in the same way. It was painful as hell, but it got better quickly.

I had pain and swelling, whereas Will seems to have none(swelling) based on the pic the club put out yesterday.
In 2 weeks I was back out playing, and this was in a bush league where I literally did no rehab at all.

He’ll be playing week 1 with a jab would be my bet(should we get there).

I’ve done the same thing as Day, in the same way. It was painful as hell, but it got better quickly.

I had pain and swelling, whereas Will seems to have none(swelling) based on the pic the club put out yesterday.
In 2 weeks I was back out playing, and this was in a bush league where I literally did no rehab at all.

He’ll be playing week 1 with a jab would be my bet(should we get there).

Is it only me that wants to know more about SYL's bush league career? I'm picturing a 6'2 lanky Italian with a handlebar moustache that plays on the wing that rest at full forward. How did I do?

Having a a dislocated collar bone can give one a horse throat but he has an unbridled commitment to Hawthorn despite what you hear from naysayers.

The mane thing is to be fit for finals. He’ll be champing at the bit to play in September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back