Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Weddle and Day are our elite players.

Next level are Sicily, Moore and Newcombe

After them are a crowd of capable to very good players.

One more elite and one more next level should enough.

MacKenzie, Ward and Croc could easily develop into next level players.

C'mon now, Weddle has a long way to go before he reaches Sicily's level.

That’s laughable.

I think he is being overrated slightly by the media and people here. I think it's a bit far to say we should give him a 10-year contract like the Herald Sun proposed during the week. He still has a long way to go in his development, more than most. He was very poor, I thought, last week against Collingwood, particularly in relation to his efficiency by foot. That said, he was one of our best in the prior rounds. But there is no denying he has immense upside and a very high ceiling. I'm not sure he can become some great midfielder in the future; I like the prospect of him more down back or on a wing. But his attributes, as long as he puts in the work (and based on comments here, he has the work ethic to become an elite player), should allow him to become a very special player wherever the great Sam Mitchell dictates him on the ground.

There is a lot of hype surrounding what Weddle could become and should he reach those heights, we have a truly special player on our list. The old cliche of '50 games' probably won't see him anywhere near his ceiling unless Sam has him pegged in D50 for his career.

I really see a lot of Pavlich in him and how he is developing. As it stands now, his decision making is why I think he'll continue to stay in D50 for a while so he has the confidence to see the play unfolding in front of him and not be fearful that a mistake will come back over his head.

He will have opportunities to play in the centre of the ground and will likely have the chance in the coming seasons to reap havoc in the forward line. He's just such a powerful player that will be an absolute nightmare to match up on. There won't be many that have the aerobic capacity to roam up and back between the arcs, nor the strength in a contest if he's one out.

There are not too many players in the league, let alone a 20 year old, who can go with Jezza and his freakish attributes, but Weddle did it with aplomb a couple of weeks ago. I think we'll see some pretty special games in the coming years from all over the ground.

There is a lot of hype surrounding what Weddle could become and should he reach those heights, we have a truly special player on our list. The old cliche of '50 games' probably won't see him anywhere near his ceiling unless Sam has him pegged in D50 for his career.

I really see a lot of Pavlich in him and how he is developing. As it stands now, his decision making is why I think he'll continue to stay in D50 for a while so he has the confidence to see the play unfolding in front of him and not be fearful that a mistake will come back over his head.

He will have opportunities to play in the centre of the ground and will likely have the chance in the coming seasons to reap havoc in the forward line. He's just such a powerful player that will be an absolute nightmare to match up on. There won't be many that have the aerobic capacity to roam up and back between the arcs, nor the strength in a contest if he's one out.

There are not too many players in the league, let alone a 20 year old, who can go with Jezza and his freakish attributes, but Weddle did it with aplomb a couple of weeks ago. I think we'll see some pretty special games in the coming years from all over the ground.
He’s 19 for another month 😀

He does need to learn to do the basics well - he was in a chain of play v Geelong and I reckon handballed to a teammates feet each time and he has done this regularly in other games. Plus the moment he would like again in the middle from last week.

But he’s shown really good versatility in each third of the ground that supports your Pavlich comparison and has shown he can have influence over the game in patches. Imagine him in another 5 years…wow he’ll be a machine.

He’s 19 for another month 😀

He does need to learn to do the basics well - he was in a chain of play v Geelong and I reckon handballed to a teammates feet each time and he has done this regularly in other games. Plus the moment he would like again in the middle from last week.

But he’s shown really good versatility in each third of the ground that supports your Pavlich comparison and has shown he can have influence over the game in patches. Imagine him in another 5 years…wow he’ll be a machine.
Correct. Great athlete but badly needs to improve basic skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he is being overrated slightly by the media and people here. I think it's a bit far to say we should give him a 10-year contract like the Herald Sun proposed during the week. He still has a long way to go in his development, more than most. He was very poor, I thought, last week against Collingwood, particularly in relation to his efficiency by foot. That said, he was one of our best in the prior rounds. But there is no denying he has immense upside and a very high ceiling. I'm not sure he can become some great midfielder in the future; I like the prospect of him more down back or on a wing. But his attributes, as long as he puts in the work (and based on comments here, he has the work ethic to become an elite player), should allow him to become a very special player wherever the great Sam Mitchell dictates him on the ground.
I think he is being accurately rated, he is currently a good young player who almost every week shows you a glimpse of what he can become. Whether it is accelerating from a pack, taking multiple great grabs in the air he has moments that make you leap up out of your chair. He has all the tools to be something pretty special.

I think he is being accurately rated, he is currently a good young player who almost every week shows you a glimpse of what he can become. Whether it is accelerating from a pack, taking multiple great grabs in the air he has moments that make you leap up out of your chair. He has all the tools to be something pretty special.

You have to be very careful on this forum if you're recognizing a huge upside in a young player. It can put a lot of noses out of joint, and cause a lot of toys to come flying out of the cot.

Kid is a freak level talent in the making.

Sunday saw a very big progression in this young mans career pathway IMHO.

Weddle was rightly crucified in some sectors for basically 'dropping his head' against Collingwood 2 rounds before.

He knew he had done it, so did his team-mates, and sections of the media delighted in raising this 'action' after the game.

We all saw it too.

This must have been weighing very heavily on the teenager.

Every short-step would be looked for, the media and opposition fans praying for another Weddle 'filling his pants' moment.

And here it came....

1st quarter Vs North Melbourne, high ball, Weddle in front of a three man pack....the ball hanging for an eternity I'd say for Weddle.

Cometh the hour and all that - Josh Weddle took a huge step in his development as a player, and completely took that stigma off himself by backing into the pack, taking the mark, and delivering a lovely kick to a team mate.

I'd imagine he had been waiting for chance to redeem himself and probably a bit anxious too - but he passed the test with flying colours.

Well played JW, well played.

do it jewish GIF

Sunday saw a very big progression in this young mans career pathway IMHO.

Weddle was rightly crucified in some sectors for basically 'dropping his head' against Collingwood 2 rounds before.

He knew he had done it, so did his team-mates, and sections of the media delighted in raising this 'action' after the game.

We all saw it too.

This must have been weighing very heavily on the teenager.

Every short-step would be looked for, the media and opposition fans praying for another Weddle 'filling his pants' moment.

And here it came....

1st quarter Vs North Melbourne, high ball, Weddle in front of a three man pack....the ball hanging for an eternity I'd say for Weddle.

Cometh the hour and all that - Josh Weddle took a huge step in his development as a player, and completely took that stigma off himself by backing into the pack, taking the mark, and delivering a lovely kick to a team mate.

I'd imagine he had been waiting for chance to redeem himself and probably a bit anxious too - but he passed the test with flying colours.

Well played JW, well played.
Yeah I loved seeing that

One of the footy shows pointed out that he actually took 3 marks like that against North

Could be the best player in The game at CHF; a matter of when not if it should be.

He has the ability to float back as a loose chf, roll into the midfield after the bounce, and still hit up the lead in the forward line - but he can’t do that if he has to man someone in defence.

Seems a no brainer.

Going to seem even more logical if he keeps marking on the lead inside 50, or leading up to link up attacking plays.

Watching Hardwick straighten us up against the pies shows what impact Weddle could have.

A potent leading forward with his agility, skill and tank... who can mark?

We kind of need one of those to develop alongside the other one we'll have coming through very soon.

A lot different playing as a forward compared to a 2nd ruck who floats forward. A lot of the marks he has taken forward are on forwards who occasionally chop out in the ruck and don't really know how to defend.

We shift him forward and he likely doesn't go near it for a lot of the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back