Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot different playing as a forward compared to a 2nd ruck who floats forward. A lot of the marks he has taken forward are on forwards who occasionally chop out in the ruck and don't really know how to defend.

We shift him forward and he likely doesn't go near it for a lot of the game

99% of the time Stagnant ball movement is due to stationary forwards. Start Josh at CHF and just get him to run arounnd ahead of the ball for two hours. No-one's going to keep up with him across a whole game, and if they leave him (or give up) we end up outnumbering the opposition at the contest. He can easily cover 55m on the boot too, so is a dangerous scoring option outside the arc.

It's an element of his game we haven't really explored yet - compare him to our current hard-running HF in Moore who is a tremendous endurance runner - but Dylan isn't troubling anyone getting the ball 70m from goal.

Weddle covering the distance will drag opposition zone out of shape, opening holes for others to lead into. Could help rejuvenate/extend Breust/Gunston's careers too - they are both smart enough to understand and manipulate space in the forwardline to their advantage.

A lot different playing as a forward compared to a 2nd ruck who floats forward. A lot of the marks he has taken forward are on forwards who occasionally chop out in the ruck and don't really know how to defend.

We shift him forward and he likely doesn't go near it for a lot of the game

For that to happen, they'll have to have a defender on him who can keep up with his work rate. I know there are some who might be able to do that. But there won't be many.

Weddle's numbers as a back are actually pretty similar to those of Scrimshaw, Frost and Sicily.

The talk about him squibbing a contest was complete BS - he has always put his body on the line. The dropped mark was because he was distracted by the player coming in to spoil, not because he was afraid of the impact. It doesn't excuse the lapse in concentration - staying focused on the ball is critical. It is simply a misinterpretation of reason he dropped the mark - a misinterpretation that would not have been made by anyone who paid attention to his previous games.

This kid could become the best, marauding CHB in the comp.

200.gif

This kid could become the best, marauding CHB in the comp.

200.gif
He’s quite a unique athlete / player. Decent arguments to play him in any number of roles down back, in the middle and up forward. He was super today. Standing next to JUH he didn’t look to be giving away much height. I would love to give him a decent stint at half forward

The outside world will not give him the plaudits he deserves, but this season he has done an awesome job on two of the best forwards in the game at present _Cameron and JUH

His attacking dash and slalom runs from defence need to be encouraged more. They can create overlap and havoc if we plan for them the right way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The outside world will not give him the plaudits he deserves, but this season he has done an awesome job on two of the best forwards in the game at present _Cameron and JUH

His attacking dash and slalom runs from defence need to be encouraged more. They can create overlap and havoc if we plan for them the right way
Feel if anything Weddle gets more plaudits externally than by our own fans. He’s a work in progress but geez he has as high a ceiling as any player on our list,

I feel our biggest challenge is whether to settle him in a spot or use his incredible flexibility as a bit of a Mr fix it .

As a CHB you can now see opponents are very wary of his running ability .
2 very big scalps there now .

I wish we could rush 50 games into these kids . We have some rippers

He landed some decent kicks today too.

He is an absolute weapon and the kind of player that puts bums on seats. Loved his game today!

He is fast becoming my fave player to watch. He can do it all. He has weapons that other players dream of. What we got him for was an absolute steal and kudos to MM and the rest of the recruitment team for spotting and identifying his talent. If they had not of acted we would have missed out big time. To think he is only in his second season and 19 years old is scary. There is so much versatility to his game. I see him being able to play anywhere between the defensive and forward 50 metre arcs so he can rebound from half back if needed or deliver into forward 50 also and be a goalscorer from the 50m metre range also, with time on ball too.

Bloody hell, like what was said before we just need to find a way to clone him, we could do with a Weddle in every part of the ground. I havent actually explicitly heard the AFL come out and say we can't until then im still hoping to find to a way LOL

Was a weapon running out of the back line. Like Impey, and Scrimmer, whom I think has gone to next level this year.

Like second half of last year, just go for it when we run into space. Run, run, run, have more run run run. With good disposals. That's the modern game.

The draft is a mystery at times. Weddle has enough size of play as a KPD but is quick, agile, an elite endurance runner, strong overhead and a booming kick but slips to pick 18. DGB went at pick 6, despite being desperately skinny, having no tank and lacking footy smarts. Comparisons are odious and we all hope that DGB will establish himself as a best 22 player. Hindsight is easy, but what is puzzling me is why it was not obvious to recruiters that Weddle was a gun and DGB more of a speculative pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back