Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't sound like Geelong want to let him go. Probably comes down to Esava pleading his case to Geelong.

Pick 33 is a fair trade but doesn't matter what I think.
Collingwood won’t trade Henry for 25 either. Geelong may need to trade Ratugolea to get 33 so they can package it up with 25 to get Henry.

How sure are we that Ratogulea is a better defender than McKenzie or Clurey, he's played defence against two VFL sides. Todd Marshall would probably be impressive in defence in the SANFL

On TET-AN00 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He could definitely be a fail but he's 196cm+ and 100kg+

We have zero defenders for gorilla type forwards.

IMO the fact that Geelong want to keep him means something too.

How sure are we that Ratogulea is a better defender than McKenzie or Clurey,
We're not sure he'll be better than them, just like we're not sure our new coach will be better than Hinkley. What we are sure about is McKenzie and Clurey are mediocre. So you move them on and replace them with someone new, and if that guy's not good enough you replace him with someone new, and if that guy's not good enough you replace him with someone new, until you find someone who is good enough.

Imagine if we were offering pick 25 for a player taken in the first round by Collingwood just 2 years ago. We'd be critisied for not being serious and told we need to find a first rounder and add that to a player like Bergman.

But even Geelong with their massive 'good culture' discount need to find slightly more. 33 seems to be the easiest pick for them to obtain. Otherwise they need to look at trading out players they want to keep more than Esava - or split pick 7, which they shouldn't even have, and they don't seem to be contemplating that.

If we give up pick 33 for him, you’d want to get a pick back that we can use between 50 and 60.

There’s no certainty at all that Esava will be an AFL quality, let alone high quality, key defender, but it’s a position we desperately need to bolster and improve on what we have. He’s 24 so should be heading into his best years. If it does pay off, we get him for a number of years. A Liam Jones type result would be the most I’d hope for/expect and that would be pretty good.

If we get him, then I still think our two active draft picks should be used on a key defender and a creative small forward, even if both are picks in the 50s.

We're not sure he'll be better than them, just like we're not sure our new coach will be better than Hinkley. What we are sure about is McKenzie and Clurey are mediocre. So you move them on and replace them with someone new, and if that guy's not good enough you replace him with someone new, and if that guy's not good enough you replace him with someone new, until you find someone who is good enough.
In fairness to McKenzie and Clurey they were not big enough to play full-back. It could free em up to play in another position

Maybe this is the deal that gets left to Wednesday so that Deadline Day is as exciting as always.

I was very excited about this deal and I will be again in 6-12 hours but right now I have that feeling that I’ve just had sex with the Czech Women’s basketball team and I’m quite content for now.

Even if CD is playing this one down, I reckon it still gets done.

Geelong to package 25+33 and move up a bit higher into the top 20 to then use that pick for Henry I reckon.

There's been enough guys that look like unconvincing forwards, or even rucks, who become serviceable (or better) defenders to have reasonable hope that Sava will do the same.

As has been said, pretty good sign that Geelong are pretty keen to keep him.

Chris Davies didn't sound overly optimistic that Geelong would part with him and was very clear that we would offer pick 33 (sounded like a straight swap).

By the same token, CD also indicated that we would be happy enough to use pick 33 at the draft, and I guess it opens up options for us to pick a better tall defender there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect that Bonner will be traded as others are likely to be preferred at half back and on the wing next year. He is a free agent next year and he would be worth more as a contracted player this year, after two improved seasons, than we would get back as compensation next year. He is probably worth about a mid 3rd round selection this year.

Chris Davies didn't sound overly optimistic that Geelong would part with him and was very clear that we would offer pick 33 (sounded like a straight swap).

By the same token, CD also indicated that we would be happy enough to use pick 33 at the draft, and I guess it opens up options for us to pick a better tall defender there.
Davies is a good poker player.

He doesn't want to seem to keen.

Tat's why they keep Ken and Koch (as much as they can) quiet. These two would over play our desire and end up costing us more.

There's been enough guys that look like unconvincing forwards, or even rucks, who become serviceable (or better) defenders to have reasonable hope that Sava will do the same.

As has been said, pretty good sign that Geelong are pretty keen to keep him.
Chad Cornes, Toby Thurstans, Liam Jones, Paddy McCartin. Just a handful off the top of my head.

Key defender? maybe we should give Dougal Howard a go.. oh wait

How sure are we that Ratogulea is a better defender than McKenzie or Clurey, he's played defence against two VFL sides. Todd Marshall would probably be impressive in defence in the SANFL

On TET-AN00 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does it matter?

Jonas is 32 next year. McKenzie 31. Clurey 29. Aliir 29.

We need to bring through some fresh blood in that part of the ground.

Key defender? maybe we should give Dougal Howard a go.. oh wait
Maybe unpopular opinion but I don't miss him. Very dumb player.

I suspect that Bonner will be traded as others are likely to be preferred at half back and on the wing next year. He is a free agent next year and he would be worth more as a contracted player this year, after two improved seasons, than we would get back as compensation next year. He is probably worth about a mid 3rd round selection this year.
Not being paid much implies not much Compo as a free agent.
If we can find a trade this year it is a win, win for both Club and player.

Chad Cornes, Toby Thurstans, Liam Jones, Paddy McCartin. Just a handful off the top of my head.
I was thinking more along the lines of Ted Richards, Ben Reid, Liam Jones or Dougal Howard - players who didn't look AFL standard until they were re-moulded as a KPD.

Cornes was always going to be a great player, just settled in defence the best. Similar with McCartin, just to a lesser degree. Could add players like Darcy Moore and Michael Hurley to the Cornes situation as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back