Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

We are still bottoming out mate and around 2004 levels. Anyone thinking this is going to be quick have rocks in their heads.it will be however quicker than 2004 if we pick four to five guns this draft unlike 2004. That stuffed us for two seasons. Sadly the TT and Hopper trades did the same in reality, but we are in better position now as we have a few gold nuggets to sell for picks.
We will start to see the fruit of our rebuild in the 27 season if drafts are nailed.
I keep telling people that but they don't get it :'( they thinking the signing of Gray is god's gift :mask:

In 17 we already had established stars and just ended up fixing the puzzle this time around we will basically start with nothing but just promises and hope some will come good. It's going to take longer than the 5 years people are predicting will take. The whole club is in development not just the playing group.
In 2017 we had Balme as the glue.
Working behind the scenes, getting deals done, conditioning the coach and support staff. He turned the joint around.
Trust me, he was a once in a generation football boss.
Since his phasing out, we’ve become a rabble.
It starts off the field!
There’s no vision anymore and we are bereft of leadership.

stop gap yze will be gone end of 2025 when we gather the required picks

grigg will lead the young guns in 2026

will be a mitchellesque appointment
Unless grigg takes over the suns if Dimma leaves early

Interesting comments from Brendan Gale here:

Haven’t read the entire article because of paywall, but he said that Yze is set to become more involved in 2025. We already knew he wasn’t involved in the draft last year, but I’m curious to see what an involved Yze looks like.
Pretty bland mate

from

also podcast talking to the chief at 23minute mark

Last edited:
Pretty bland mate

from

also podcast talking to the chief at 23minute mark

Yeah a pretty meh article now that I read it in full.

Brendan Gale mentioned Hawthorn’s quick turnaround, but was it really a quick turnaround? Only reason why people think that is because they were expected to occupy the bottom 4 this year. In reality, 2018 was the last time they made finals before this year.

Brendan Gale mentioned Hawthorn’s quick turnaround, but was it really a quick turnaround? Only reason why people think that is because they were expected to occupy the bottom 4 this year. In reality, 2018 was the last time they made finals before this year.
That's the point where I lost interest as he was just trying to sound nice as he leaves the Tigertanic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were sorta of middle of the road up until 2021 weren't they though? Mitchell only took over in '22. Mitchell seems to have done well. But it's a pretty rare example, lots of teams go down and don't come back up for a long time..

We are still bottoming out mate and around 2004 levels. Anyone thinking this is going to be quick have rocks in their heads.it will be however quicker than 2004 if we pick four to five guns this draft unlike 2004. That stuffed us for two seasons. Sadly the TT and Hopper trades did the same in reality, but we are in better position now as we have a few gold nuggets to sell for picks.
We will start to see the fruit of our rebuild in the 27 season if drafts are nailed.
Agree it's not going to happen overnight, but I'm confident it will happen.

20 years ago not only was our playing list rubbish, but, moreover, the club was financially cactus. The club had to firstly get itself out of the financial mire whilst attempting to recruit young talent on a shoe string football dept. budget. Hence the disaster of picks 4, 12, 16 and 20 of the 2004 draft. Even worse pick 8 of the 2005 draft. Not to mention the clubs inability to develop these kids.

Fast forward to 2024 and there is every reason to be confident the club can assemble elite talent with 5 first round picks. Another year or two in or near the bottom 4 should see sufficient young talent to form the nucleus of our next tilt. It will take 5 or 6 years to become very competitive, then a couple more to challenge. That's just how it is under the current player selection guidelines.

Take Hawthorn as an example. They appear to have come from nowhere this year. Who knows, but lets assume they win it next year, that's 10 seasons since their last flag. Even Geelong who don't bottom out took 11 years to win a flag.

Whether Yze will be there to see our eventual improvement will be up to him. I've no doubt the club will give him every support.

They were sorta of middle of the road up until 2021 weren't they though? Mitchell only took over in '22. Mitchell seems to have done well. But it's a pretty rare example, lots of teams go down and don't come back up for a long time..
Mitchell in particular did well. He basically moved on players that no longer served them and implemented a good gamestyle. So he kinda did turn things around.

But Hawthorn definitely failed before they rose up IMO. If Mitchell wasn’t aggressive and kept Mitchell + O’Meara, then I don’t think they’d be where they are today.

Mitchell in particular did well. He basically moved on players that no longer served them and implemented a good gamestyle. So he kinda did turn things around.

But Hawthorn definitely failed before they rose up IMO. If Mitchell wasn’t aggressive and kept Mitchell + O’Meara, then I don’t think they’d be where they are today.
Hey boss.
Some of us have been asking to move on certain players!
Richmond won’t.
We’ve moved no one on - players have left!
Don’t compare us to Mitchell.
We’ve been too scared to move on players and end up with them for five years.
Premiership player at Richmond has become code for pension and 100 more games!

In 2017 we had Balme as the glue.
Working behind the scenes, getting deals done, conditioning the coach and support staff. He turned the joint around.
Trust me, he was a once in a generation football boss.
Since his phasing out, we’ve become a rabble.
It starts off the field!
There’s no vision anymore and we are bereft of leadership.
It's a lot easier when you already have great players there in the system 7 plus years. The amazing job they did recruiting those guys in 16 finished the job and Balme didn't have to do that much. I would have liked to seen a fit Balme in his prime getting us out of the mess we are now in.

Hey boss.
Some of us have been asking to move on certain players!
Richmond won’t.
We’ve moved no one on - players have left!
Don’t compare us to Mitchell.
We’ve been too scared to move on players and end up with them for five years.
Premiership player at Richmond has become code for pension and 100 more games!
Exactly, we’re going to have to make the same calls as Hawthorn did too once we start getting in some talent.

Some of these senior players won't serve us much longer, so we need to move them on either this year or next year to be on track. We should also not be afraid of keeping them in the VFL for extended periods of time. Yze must make calls like that next year.

I don't mind keeping yze on for the term of his contract but ffs dont let him have any input on list decisions..
I disagree, he definitely should be making list decisions.

It’s not a good look to be known as the club that micromanages head coaches. Otherwise, we will not attract the best candidates in the future should Yze be moved on.

I don't mind keeping yze on for the term of his contract but ffs dont let him have any input on list decisions..
Agree that's not his job. He can offer some advice, but list managers needs to MAKE THE FINAL DECISIONS OTHERWISE WHAT'S THE POINT HAVING THEM. Caracella needs to devise with Yze a game plan and see what player's we need to target, but in the end you pick the best available guns in the draft as without them a list of role players takes you nowhere. It's so simple just get gun mids and forwards first and avoid bringing in guys like Naismith, Kosi and expensive trades like JH and TT. THE IMPORTANT THING IS RECOGNISING WHERE YOUR LIST IS AT AND THEN WORKING FROM THERE. WE GOT IT ALL WRONG IN 2022 . Also the reason why our list is suffering is bc Dimma had too much say and they allowed him to riddle our list with either undersized HBF and slow midfielders with poor DE.

Agree that's not his job. He can offer some advice, but list managers needs to MAKE THE FINAL DECISIONS OTHERWISE WHAT'S THE POINT HAVING THEM. Caracella needs to devise with Yze a game plan and see what player's we need to target, but in the end you pick the best available guns in the draft as without them a list of role players takes you nowhere. It's so simple just get gun mids and forwards first and avoid bringing in guys like Naismith, Kosi and expensive trades like JH and TT. THE IMPORTANT THING IS RECOGNISING WHERE YOUR LIST IS AT AND THEN WORKING FROM THERE. WE GOT IT ALL WRONG IN 2022 . Also the reason why our list is suffering is bc Dimma had too much say and they allowed him to riddle our list with either undersized HBF and slow midfielders with poor DE.
I disagree, I see it differently. The coach definitely should be making list management decisions. It is one of their functions as head coach. In fact, I even think they holistically should have the highest level of control over the list IMO.

If they don’t, then how will they be able to implement their vision and gamestyle? Imagine if a coach wants to implement a run-and-gun gamestyle and the list managers recruit tall and slow midfielders. I don’t think that works well.

The coach should be directing the list managers with their vision, and the list managers should be working out how they can implement that. The list manager can push back and offer up their opinion. But, I think the coach should ultimately make the call.

That’s why it’s important to have the right coach with the right list managers/recruiters capable of fulfilling their vision. Better to have a coach that knows what they’re doing than constantly having to surround them with the best people.

I want Yze to have this level of control over the next couple of years. He pretty much had no control so far other than the gameplan and game day selections, but I’d like to see how he fares with list management selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back