Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a recipe for disaster. All our premiership superstars were from the Wallace era and he had little say in their selection as the drafters went for quality . Even Dimmer couldn't get a gameplan working to even win a final with them until Caracella came along and we went straight on to win a flag. Again if you have a quality group of young players then the game plan is built around them and not beforehand. Yze had no game plan this year because he's 2004 pre Wallace stage without the cattle. So how is he going to devise a game plan if he doesn't have the quality? We haven't even fully bottomed out yet with our list so it would be insanity to build a game plan around KMAC, Kosi, Hopper, JGTI, Mansell, Ryan, Short and other list cloggers or role players as these guys can't get it done. We have to collect as many guns as possible first before we even contemplate a decent gameplan as those blokes aren't capable of helping to play to any sort of game plan simply bc we have about 18-20 role players and not enough A graders. You're putting the cart before the horse and that's the impatient coach's road to unemployment.
We just need to trust our list managers that they get enough A graders to build the foundations for a premiership side and not ninthmond.
Fair points TI, but I think Yze can still conceptualise what he wants our gamestyle to be like without having the necessary players on the list yet. His goal would be to become our long-term coach, so he’ll have to influence list management decisions somehow to see what blooms in a few years.

With A-graders, they can pretty much play to any gamestyle you give them. Yes, you build the side around them, but not the gameplan IMO. Riewoldt and Cotchin for example excelled in our slow kick-mark ball movement in 2015 as well as our fast-paced endurance gameplan of 2017. Different styles but the same result of excellence. Hence, the best players thrive in any gamestyle. It’s the B-Graders and below (i.e., role players) that need to be accommodated by the gameplan IMO. Since it’s very rare for any side (even Premiership sides) to have 8+ A-Graders, we will likely end up drafting role players with weaknesses in our current rebuild. As important as it is to get the best talent in, Yze will also have to think about what type of role players he wants in our side.

Does he want ones that are great in the air like West Coast of 2018? Does he want a very fast and athletic side like Richmond of 2017-2020? Does he want fantastic footskills like Hawthorn 2012-2015? Based on what he decides, we will have some must-have attributes, passable weaknesses, dealbreakers etc. The list managers/recruiters have knowledge on what the strengths and weaknesses are of draftees/trade targets, so they can then target those that fit Yze’s vision best. The A-graders will remain the same no matter what Yze’s vision is. Who they’ll be surrounded with would change depending on gamestyle IMO.

That’s how I see it. You don’t have to agree tbh, but we’ll have to agree to disagree if you don’t see it the same way.

I never said top four ok. I said he was expecting to finish high up the ladder though as by his comments and again this isn’t the argument I was responding too. It was your thruway line that missed the whole point of why posters were disappointed with him. Read my post
Every coach would expect that. Otherwise what’s the point in being in that position.Will improve

He didn't say we would finish high, he said he wanted that to be the overall attitude that we COULD finish high, IE trying to instill a winning mentality, not a losing one.

He did say we would be a tough side to play against which backfired, but come on, what coach isn't going to say stuff like that?
His interview clearly showed he was expecting a high finish as why mention all the GWS dribble and then your last paragraph was another confirmation of this. It all backfired in the end as we were the poorest defensive side in the comp. Hence , the easiest team to beat. Doesn’t matter how you look at it , it backs up what I was saying he wasn’t in rebuild mode as Truetiger was inferring we were saying. You both have missed my original argument and pulled out some trivial piece that had no correlation to what was being argued. Yze wasn’t rebuilding or playing for the future as he was aiming to finish high .

Every coach would expect that. Otherwise what’s the point in being in that position.Will improve
It wasn’t the essence of my argument or post I responded to. We weren’t rebuilding as you we’re claiming and we weren’t upset with Yze bc of this as the rebuild hadn’t been on his agenda.

This was your post which was wrong

What annoys me the most, people want us to bottom out, Rebuild go to the youth then blame the coach when things get difficult pathetic.

Sounds like there could be a little bit of the Greame Richmond sprit in Yze. Nothing wrong with a bit of ruthless attitude to right the ship again 🤩
I think the strength of our past became a weakness if that makes sense. Players who couldn’t get past Dimma, players bloated on past achievements, coaches unwilling to adapt.
Now’s the time. And if Yze recognized that, then we have made a solid choice in coach.
Think about what we saw this year. The young guys improved and showed hunger. Could we say the same of all our senior guys? Therin lies the answer.

Yze was handed a sh*t sandwich, let’s face it.

The first half against GC was diabolical, but u think you have to assess how we went the weeks after that with something resembling a decent list of players to choose from:

R1 v Carlton: Lost to Blues by 5 having lost multiple players in game. Lost frees 24-17.

R2: lost to Port by 30. Down by 5 early in last. Lost frees 23-13.

R3: Beat Sydney (lost multiple players to injury this game Inc Lynch and Balta).

R4: Held Saints to 11-points at HT. Got overrun and lost by 7. I can’t recall all injuries but no Lynch, Balta, Hopper, Prestia and more.

R5: Lost 109-70 to Eagles who were near full strength. Lost frees 20-11. We were without nearly our entire midfield including TT, Hopper, Prestia and Ross. Still no Balta or Lynch (or Gibcus or Grimes). Short was injured early in game.

So by Round 6 injuries were absolutely diabolical. In R6 scores against Demons were level early in third before they kicked away. Free were 24-12 their way.

In that game we were missing about 8 best-22 and Hopper was injured in-game.

From that moment we wouldn’t have played a single game without at least 6-7 best-22 players missing. Add to that Dusty was cooked and you’ve got a perfect storm.

Bottom line is, we were really very competitive for most of the first 5-6 x weeks even with a growing injury list. But eventually the dam wall breaks when injuries get too much.

So i will judge Yze halfway through 2025 … not based on win/loss, but based on gameplan, effort, development of youngsters and messaging coming from the club.

If we appear rudderless and there’s no sign of a gameplan or on-field organisation I’ll be concerned…. win-loss is irrelevant. I remember in 2010 we were 0-9 under Dimma, but you could see what he was trying to do and the players were all on board. That’s what we need to see in 2025.

Over to you Yze.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Are you allowed to lable people as being average and then either above or below that?
I hope so. I've been doing it for years.
I think a curve or spectrum is more acceptable.
So we are look for someone at the upper end of the height spectrum is a more acceptable way of putting it I think.
Agree with this @Hoos ?
So in a nutshell, we're looking for an above average height spectrum individual, who identifies as a ruck person, and who is also, ideally, slightly above average in the stoutness of girth and very above average in testicular fortitude.

I think the strength of our past became a weakness if that makes sense. Players who couldn’t get past Dimma, players bloated on past achievements, coaches unwilling to adapt.
Now’s the time. And if Yze recognized that, then we have made a solid choice in coach.
Think about what we saw this year. The young guys improved and showed hunger. Could we say the same of all our senior guys? Therin lies the answer.
It will be interesting to see how yze coaches some of the senior players next year especially if they can't adapt to a new game plan.

Agreed, younger guys showed more hunger during the season

I still can’t understand at the start of the year he presumably has senior players onboard in removing their photos of their great achievements and then by the end of the year most of the senior players were not performing for him and some are asking for trades whilst still contracted. Nothing adds up to me with this bloke.
Next year if he can’t get all the players onboard then we may have a problem. It’s the first thing I will be observing during the offseason on how they train and prepare as a group . Caracella is a massive get for him and he at least will have them working on a game plan with Newey as well. Yze next year should have an easier year although results may not be apparent, but he’s still got a mountain to climb as his personal development as a coach.
Extending his contract is utter madness as anyone off the streets could’ve got two wins from that team as a minimum.

‘Most of the senior players were not performing for him’. That’s garbage.

Rioli is probably gonna win B&F and was superb all year. Vlastuin 2nd. Nankervis had his best and most consistent season in a long time and will likely come third.

Other than Dusty who was physically and mentally cooked, and arguably Bolton who was inconsistent, which senior players are you referring to?

…..but if we win say 4 games next year and 5 the year after, even if the kids are looking really good, can you survive a win/loss of 11-58 or so?
I reckon he survives for as long as he has buy-in. If the players believe, he should be fine.

And speaking of buy-in, I’m rapt with what seems a terrific attitude from Nathan Broad.

What annoys me the most, people want us to bottom out, Rebuild go to the youth then blame the coach when things get difficult pathetic.
we have already bottomed out

All yze said he won’t put a limit on where we will finish. He never said we would finish high.
dont lie he was talking top 4 in his first presser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 2c worth..... there's nothing to judge yet, we are bottom 2 or 3 for at least one more year or possibly 2 or 3 more. List this year has been decimated by the butcher/Louie too. Tiges are bottoming out for a while, zero need to sack the coach because of that. He may well turn out to be substandard but we honestly can't judge him on 2024 results only.

…..Take Hawthorn as an example. They appear to have come from nowhere this year.
And could disappear just as quickly but I doubt it. A notable thing for me is they don’t have anyone I would call a star. Day hardly plays and Sicily is excellent although I reckon with experienced defenders incoming he could be dangerous up forward.

And interestingly, their recent drafting doesn’t come close to what we should assemble.

Giving away their first pick in a strong draft for a 29 year old suggests they believe they are in the window. Will be interesting to see if they are correct.

And could disappear just as quickly but I doubt it. A notable thing for me is they don’t have anyone I would call a star. Day hardly plays and Sicily is excellent although I reckon with experienced defenders incoming he could be dangerous up forward.

And interestingly, their recent drafting doesn’t come close to what we should assemble.

Giving away their first pick in a strong draft for a 29 year old suggests they believe they are in the window. Will be interesting to see if they are correct.
dumcampaigners giving away their first for tom barrassi

‘Most of the senior players were not performing for him’. That’s garbage.

Rioli is probably gonna win B&F and was superb all year. Vlastuin 2nd. Nankervis had his best and most consistent season in a long time and will likely come third.

Other than Dusty who was physically and mentally cooked, and arguably Bolton who was inconsistent, which senior players are you referring to?

Kmac , Short, Broad played four good games, Dusty, Bolton was taking the piss, Balta was average , Rioli played like a selfish footballer and was the best of a bad bunch , Baker was a joke, Prestia tried (but in out injured), Grimes fxxked bc of injuries, Hopper below average, TT below average ,Graham rubbish and Pickett was meh before injured. Nankervis good with Flossy, but still below standards.
Just as well as most were performing in your eyes bc imagine the results if they hadn’t. 😂 You aim low and sound like Yze when he reckoned we were trying when we had the poorest defensive efforts in the whole competition.
The only garbage I’ve read is your post as you ignored so many players and if our senior players had truly performed then why did we finish wooden spooners with two wins ? Absolute nonsense on stilts.

Last edited:
If I was Yze the first thing I'd be doing in preseason training is bringing out the tackle bags and drilling it into the boys how to stick a tackle. We seem to have forgotten that basic skill. Non negotiable.
How when he was a softc0ck himself.

Players are more likely to respect and put in for an ex hard arse player with crazy eyes like Dimma, Kingsley etc.

Yze is one of the boys.

Your last two sentences was the problem and Noidnadroj thinks they were great. The senior guys killed us this year. You were more ruthless than me as you said ALL whilst I said MOST. 😂 You negative campaigner. 🤣😉

Last edited:
How when he was a softc0ck himself.

Players are more likely to respect and put in for an ex hard arse player with crazy eyes like Dimma, Kingsley etc.
my biggest concern

My 2c worth..... there's nothing to judge yet, we are bottom 2 or 3 for at least one more year or possibly 2 or 3 more. List this year has been decimated by the butcher/Louie too. Tiges are bottoming out for a while, zero need to sack the coach because of that. He may well turn out to be substandard but we honestly can't judge him on 2024 results only.
That’s the reality so it’s a waiting game.

Don’t know how many times I mentioned this since ‘21. Not only did the effort wane, but then there was the petulance. So many 50 metre penalties.

Then there was ‘22 when we were excellent in parts, but all those narrow losses which cost us top 4 or higher were caused again by lack of effort. Games that were in the bag thrown away by complacency leading to a reverse in momentum that we couldn’t stop. Week after week.

The attitude overall was poor. We could still do it when we wanted to. Jack’s 300th was excellent. Hopefully we still have enough invested senior players to support the coach and put us on the right path.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back