Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

I certainly don't discount the disruption of Gale leaving. And we see it all the time, clubs with a bit of dysfunction at board level, it translates on the field. And we certainly saw it with Hardwick in the last two years. Since Peggy has gone, we have gradually been unwound.
But, we can also fix it pretty quickly. This off season shapes the next decade. Fingers crossed they make some hard decisions and don't settle for some middle ground "don't upset the natives" approach which will put us on a treadmill to nowhere.
Yep we all know there is some pain/difficulty to be had let take it head on and move forward. I think most supporters understand that… it’ll put more folks noses out of joint if it’s not done properly. See Sydney Swans?

Would only be a good thing imo

How much media bullshit is written because players can’t be honest about their intentions
Because of the media bullshit is why it won’t happen, the CFL and the footy media have an incestous relationship

Just seems like immaturity to me

We get upset that clubs treat fans like children by not being upfront with info but that post just says to me we want to be treated like children and can’t deal with things like rational adults

It’s not as if the talks aren’t happening and decisions haven’t already been made anyway

It literally works fine in other spots codes and it has no issues

I certainly don't discount the disruption of Gale leaving. And we see it all the time, clubs with a bit of dysfunction at board level, it translates on the field. And we certainly saw it with Hardwick in the last two years. Since Peggy has gone, we have gradually been unwound.
But, we can also fix it pretty quickly. This off season shapes the next decade. Fingers crossed they make some hard decisions and don't settle for some middle ground "don't upset the natives" approach which will put us on a treadmill to nowhere.
  • Leave no stone unturned to find the best CEO available. One that’s prepared to make the tough calls and won’t take sh*t from the afl
  • Teague gone and at least one high quality assistant brought in. I’d start with throwing an offer at Leppa to see what it’ll take for him to come back
  • Meehan sacked (preferably thrown out the back door into the alley way) and a tried and tested head of fitness brought in

That’s the pass mark this off season. If we tick off those 3 things I’ll be happy

Dud CEO, same assistants and Meehan still there next year we’ll be on the treadmill to nowhere you mentioned

No real thread exist for this comment and didn't want to start a new one over it.... but just re-watched the 2020 GF. So many great moments. Watching it however, its hard to not get a tad sad & forlorn at our current situation and just how far away this group is from ever being "that".

The thing that struck me most is just how little leadership we have right now, which is something i've spoken about previously a fair bit. But in 2020 we had so many blokes who could have stood up to be "Captain" if required. Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards, Lambert, Astbury, Houli all would have surpassed any options we have currently. Even Nank & Grimes back in 2020 were better options at the role than now, due to physical decline etc. I am at a complete loss to how the club can correct it. It could take a decade

I look at the current situation Adem is in and I really don't know how you fix it. I see our future riddled with so many ghost of years past.

We had a similar leadership issue back in the early 2000's which lead to the club trading for Kane Johnson as a "instant solution", a move we now know is not a solution to the issue.

It's a hard pill for the supporters to swallow, but i think our answer is in ensuring that the strong leadership comes from the off-field team of coaches etc. I think trying to "trade in" a captain would be a huge error. We have to accept that the club will just need to function without an AFL level Captain for the long-term future & hope that by getting in strong off-field leaders we can develop the right prospect into our long-term Cotchin. Who that is, i am not really sure - but the one name i would certainly be trying to get a meeting with is Joel Selwood. Re-hearing his post GF speech of genuine respect & healthy envy to the side that just took away his dream was some of the best leadership i have heard in a while. It's hard to sound good in defeat, but he spoke excellently and truthfully - which is definitely the type of person Adem needs by his side right now. He took a leadership role post his AFL career with the Melbourne Storm, who are another organisation that has proved you don't need a decade down the bottom to reach the pointy end again, so he has still been involved in a leadership space even post retirement. He would be the #1 name i would likely be trying to poach into any role at the club IMO, including on and off field.

The club needs to rebuild itself and identity. That is not something you can "buy" when it comes to onfield, so therefore i think the first step is to rebuild it off-field. I would also be trying to lure Shane Edwards or Houli back to the club, in any capacity they wanted. We need leaders desperately. I think both those guys could offer alot. In regards to on-field, the there is no silver bullet answer, so you can only go "slight improvements". If Baker does indeed stay (and likely will get the Captains role), i still think the guy i would target is Brandon Ellis. Re-uniting Ellis, Baker & Short by default could form a leaderships group with genuine chemistry vs the ragtag nature of what we currently have. I also think Ellis showed some leadership during the crappy Sun years he was there, which is - at best - where we will be for a few years yet. He will be cheap, and you can't emulate love for your brother like Baker, Ellis & Short had. There is a reason these 2 blokes were the 2 guys next to Adem in the circle for his first win - adding Ellis in will create a core we currently don't have IMO

1720619599690.png

But of all of these people - Joel Selwood is the name at the top of my list of any person I would want the club to target. Once you take the hoops off him for a couple of years, its impossible to deny that he was one of the elite leaders of the modern era.

Last edited:
The 2017 culture drivers were Peggy, Benny, Dimma, and new asst coaches, Cotch & Jack R & probably Sheds & Lambert. Balme was brought back to the club late 2016 by Gale Smart work. Being an ex player in a golden era was a link to the past.

State of the Game crisis & COVID the hub was a curveballs which we handled better than some clubs. But ended up with 100k cap fine which cost us 2 assistants.
2021 Dusty got injured late that derailed that season

As Peggy, Benny, Dimma, asst coaches, Cotch & Jack R & Sheds & Lambert depart the culture weakened

Only 3 flags?

Sad to lose Markov & Butler?

I almost never forgave the club for trading Billy Barrott. Until September that year.

but we have to turn over a list. We've lose Ellis x 2, Miles, Conca, Delidio, Menadue. Gain Lynch, Caddy, Prestia, Nank.

Great luck to Stengle & Markov for their success.
Butler had been injured & playing VFL when he got a better offer. Markov was depth here, delisted by the suns. Thrown a lifeline.

We need a full list of fit players.
Glad we got rid of McRae too. FMD 50 year old, making babies again with wife No.3.

Injecting a bit of optimism in here, for one I am impressed with how Yze goes about it, seems a real Ted Lasso type (without the over-the-top American optimism).

As we see with Adam Simpson, the AFL and general media are vultures, and the content that players and coaches give them is basically the bare minimum. We see 1%, if that.

That being said, Yze's messaging has been consistent and clear in backing his players to grow and develop, and implying how he is building a strong culture internally. A couple of recent examples that I think supports this:
  • The article that came out yesterday about Taranto bringing all the players together.
  • Yze's public support of players on the tough contract decisions they face, and advocating for a different model.

You don't build a culture from being publicly negative when you have a debilitating injury list and criticising players who are still developing and learning the structure. No team has won a flag with a big injury list, particularly leading into September. We undervalue how important it is for performance to have stability in the best 22 - Hawthorn's performance this year is an excellent example of this.

Judge Yze and the squad on how we perform after a pre-season with a couple of good draft picks and a (hopefully) healthy squad, don't pile on when we're down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injecting a bit of optimism in here, for one I am impressed with how Yze goes about it, seems a real Ted Lasso type (without the over-the-top American optimism).

As we see with Adam Simpson, the AFL and general media are vultures, and the content that players and coaches give them is basically the bare minimum. We see 1%, if that.

That being said, Yze's messaging has been consistent and clear in backing his players to grow and develop, and implying how he is building a strong culture internally. A couple of recent examples that I think supports this:
  • The article that came out yesterday about Taranto bringing all the players together.
  • Yze's public support of players on the tough contract decisions they face, and advocating for a different model.

You don't build a culture from being publicly negative when you have a debilitating injury list and criticising players who are still developing and learning the structure. No team has won a flag with a big injury list, particularly leading into September. We undervalue how important it is for performance to have stability in the best 22 - Hawthorn's performance this year is an excellent example of this.

Judge Yze and the squad on how we perform after a pre-season with a couple of good draft picks and a (hopefully) healthy squad, don't pile on when we're down.
Post of the year and all true. Need more views like this.

Excellent post, very well said.

<iframe src="https://omny.fm/shows/inside-with-issie-community-coaching/adem-yze-on-shaping-the-environment/embed" width="100%" height="180" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write" frameborder="0" title="Adem Yze on Shaping the Environment"></iframe>
Apologies if posted previously.
Really good insight from Yze and how he's approaching things.

how dare you come here with your positive post :D

Super important off season. We will learn what direction the club is heading or reality kicked in. This goes above and beyond Yze more football department and board level. Get this wrong we're heading on track to 37 years of misery again. Get the best in the club.

F*** it, let's go even further with the optimism.

In the current AFL landscape, teams can generally compete when they have a good injury run, and when their players have played enough games with each other to know structures and how each other play. I haven't got hard data on this, but I think we've all seen enough footy to intuitively believe it.

Studies across other sports have found that teams who lose star players underperform whilst they are gone, but when those stars return, those teams perform better than they did prior to losing those stars. We're familiar with this through our 2019 and 2020 flag runs.

I think we are underestimating how much teams rely on stability for performance, and consequently underestimating how much we could bounce back next year with a couple of years of investing in development under our belt and some good injury luck.

No real thread exist for this comment and didn't want to start a new one over it.... but just re-watched the 2020 GF. So many great moments. Watching it however, its hard to not get a tad sad & forlorn at our current situation and just how far away this group is from ever being "that".

The thing that struck me most is just how little leadership we have right now, which is something i've spoken about previously a fair bit. But in 2020 we had so many blokes who could have stood up to be "Captain" if required. Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards, Lambert, Astbury, Houli all would have surpassed any options we have currently. Even Nank & Grimes back in 2020 were better options at the role than now, due to physical decline etc. I am at a complete loss to how the club can correct it. It could take a decade

I look at the current situation Adem is in and I really don't know how you fix it. I see our future riddled with so many ghost of years past.

We had a similar leadership issue back in the early 2000's which lead to the club trading for Kane Johnson as a "instant solution", a move we now know is not a solution to the issue.

It's a hard pill for the supporters to swallow, but i think our answer is in ensuring that the strong leadership comes from the off-field team of coaches etc. I think trying to "trade in" a captain would be a huge error. We have to accept that the club will just need to function without an AFL level Captain for the long-term future & hope that by getting in strong off-field leaders we can develop the right prospect into our long-term Cotchin. Who that is, i am not really sure - but the one name i would certainly be trying to get a meeting with is Joel Selwood. Re-hearing his post GF speech of genuine respect & healthy envy to the side that just took away his dream was some of the best leadership i have heard in a while. It's hard to sound good in defeat, but he spoke excellently and truthfully - which is definitely the type of person Adem needs by his side right now. He took a leadership role post his AFL career with the Melbourne Storm, who are another organisation that has proved you don't need a decade down the bottom to reach the pointy end again, so he has still been involved in a leadership space even post retirement. He would be the #1 name i would likely be trying to poach into any role at the club IMO, including on and off field.

The club needs to rebuild itself and identity. That is not something you can "buy" when it comes to onfield, so therefore i think the first step is to rebuild it off-field. I would also be trying to lure Shane Edwards or Houli back to the club, in any capacity they wanted. We need leaders desperately. I think both those guys could offer alot. In regards to on-field, the there is no silver bullet answer, so you can only go "slight improvements". If Baker does indeed stay (and likely will get the Captains role), i still think the guy i would target is Brandon Ellis. Re-uniting Ellis, Baker & Short by default could form a leaderships group with genuine chemistry vs the ragtag nature of what we currently have. I also think Ellis showed some leadership during the crappy Sun years he was there, which is - at best - where we will be for a few years yet. He will be cheap, and you can't emulate love for your brother like Baker, Ellis & Short had. There is a reason these 2 blokes were the 2 guys next to Adem in the circle for his first win - adding Ellis in will create a core we currently don't have IMO

View attachment 2044820

But of all of these people - Joel Selwood is the name at the top of my list of any person I would want the club to target. Once you take the hoops off him for a couple of years, its impossible to deny that he was one of the elite leaders of the modern era.
Nank as solo captain has been leading admirably. We have several players who are candidates to replace him. Tim Tarranto just put up his hand.

Ellis, like Markov? Nah for moi.
T
BH I think trying to recreate the Richmond man culture by bringing Ellis, Markov as players & Edwards & Houli back to won't work.
Talk of Selwood ~ why not Cotchin?

Relatively new President, soon to be CEO et al. With the club at 18th know the challenges. Off field and on.

Set to lose Dusty, Grimes, Prestia, Lynch, Broad, Vlas over the next 1 ~ 4 seasons means the era ended a bit quick Time for a new story. I hope like hell Henriette Rothschild gets the CEO gig. Its time for the Illuminati

F*** it, let's go even further with the optimism.

In the current AFL landscape, teams can generally compete when they have a good injury run, and when their players have played enough games with each other to know structures and how each other play. I haven't got hard data on this, but I think we've all seen enough footy to intuitively believe it.

Studies across other sports have found that teams who lose star players underperform whilst they are gone, but when those stars return, those teams perform better than they did prior to losing those stars. We're familiar with this through our 2019 and 2020 flag runs.

I think we are underestimating how much teams rely on stability for performance, and consequently underestimating how much we could bounce back next year with a couple of years of investing in development under our belt and some good injury luck.
Or we could continue to be delusional about our list as we were for many of our 37 years in wilderness and it may take 5 plus years to get back to a shot at the flag.

I reckon current posters were debating similar things for the first 17 years of this century about why we were no good. It’s game plan, it’s coaches, it’s the list, it’s injuries, it’s culture, its standards, it’s umpiring, it’s Noah Cumberland.

Who can be certain of having the answers?

If he continues with this gameplan next year, he’ll be gone after Carlton pump us by 90 in round 1

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
whats our gameplan

• Leave no stone unturned to find the best CEO available. One that’s prepared to make the tough calls and won’t take sh*t from the afl
  • Teague gone and at least one high quality assistant brought in. I’d start with throwing an offer at Leppa to see what it’ll take for him to come back
  • Meehan sacked (preferably thrown out the back door into the alley way) and a tried and tested head of fitness brought in

That’s the pass mark this off season. If we tick off those 3 things I’ll be happy

Dud CEO, same assistants and Meehan still there next year we’ll be on the treadmill to nowhere you mentioned

Agree with all of this. The end of season review is going to be a beauty. Absolutely no way changes won’t be made.

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back