Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. From all outward appearances the fact that we don't appear to have a short list and there have been so many signals that Gale was going to leave to take the Tassie job would lead me to think we are sitting on our hands.

This is a large job and transition period and the fact that the Media don't have an idea who some of the candidates even are (beyond the initial speculation when Gale leaving was announced) is concerning.
Thats the key words.
We use to leak like a sieve years ago(Every time our coach would fart Caro would know about it).
Nowdays its silence.
Doesn't mean we're sitting on our hands on all aspects not just our hunt for a new CEO.

Thats the key words.
We use to leak like a sieve years ago(Every time our coach would fart Caro would know about it).
Nowdays its silence.
Doesn't mean we're sitting on our hands on all aspects not just our hunt for a new CEO.
shhhhhhh.gif

After 18 weeks do people really need to have it explained to them what is likely to have been happening inside the club this year?

1. First Year Coach
Yze has come in and inherited a list that was built to suit Hardwicks game style, so there was always going to be a period of assessment and adjustment as Yze looked over the list and tried to find the right mix of players that could execute his game style. After a rough start to the season, things started to settle as we headed into the game against the Swans and we were able to get the first win under Yze, then the injuries really started to pile up.

2. Injury Crisis
As part of the rough start to the season, we were dealt a series of unfortunate injuries, Gibcus did his 2nd ACL, Lynch ripped the hammy off the bone, Balta hurt his knee, Hopper had the knee issue then a hammy, Taranto broke his wrist, Prestia had soft tissue problems, Martin had calf issues, Trezise suffered a syndesmosis injury, Graham had soft tissue issues, Grimes hurt his wrist then a back complaint and it seemed every week it was another injury or 2 that was added to the list. At one stage we had 27 players to choose from and you need 26 just to submit an AFL side. So far 41 of 46 listed players have played a senior game this year, no wonder our consistency and confidence has been poor.

3. Confidence is shot
As the injuries and losses kept coming it's no shock that eventually it all became too much and we hit the wall performance wise and were blown off the park in both the AFL & VFL games. Now it would be very easy for a coach to rip shreds from the players in that situation, but what's the point, the players know that they are up against it already and a coach screaming and yelling at them isn't going to achieve a thing other than to destroy the little confidence that is left. So Yze take the approach of praising the side during this time to try and show them that he understands that it's not simply a case of the players not being good enough, but that circumstances have ruined any chance we had during this period to play the type of footy he'd like them to be playing.

4. 2nd win and improved performances
After that horror stretch where we lost by 9, 15 & 20 goals we rebounded against Essendon to get within 2 goals a week after the 20 goal loss, we followed that up by leading Geelong in Geelong for a half before they ran over the top of us, then beat the Crows in Adelaide to get our 2nd win, while the injuries still kept coming.

5. Another Tough Stretch
After our bye following the Hawthorn game, we have a 5 game stretch where we play the teams that sit: 2nd, 3rd, 10th, 7th & 6th on the ladder, while still trying to get our best players back on the park and playing. Little wonder that in the first 2 games we've lost by 61 & 51 points as we sink to the bottom of the ladder. As mentioned above we've used 41 players so far this year with just 2 players having played every game, the team that sits 17th has used 37 and has 9 players who've played every game.

6. List Assessment
As the year from hell has unfolded, Yze has been given the chance to take a good look at the players on the list, by seasons end he'll have a much clearer picture of just who will be part of the list moving forward and with a typical injury run chances are we'll start to see a more consistent level of performance and expectations will increase from Yze in terms of what is acceptable performances.

7. Relationship Building
This season has also allowed Yze to build relationships with the players and vice versa. What that means is that as his tenure continues the players will know that when he does give them a spray that it's deserved and not personal. The thing with old players like Cornes is that they are used to the old fire and brimstone approach from coaches where they were to be feared. That no longer works in todays game, where connection and understanding are more important than the fear and authoritarian approach.

2024 can be viewed as ground zero for the next era of the Richmond Football Club. Yze is the man who has been entrusted to lead the way as head coach and is 2/3 of the way through one of the toughest years any first year coach has had to deal with in terms of on field and off field issues derailing a season. Time will tell if he will be a successful coach or not and only fools would be making judgement on him at this stage. 2025 & 2026 will be the time when you can start making informed assessments on his coaching.

View attachment 2045651

Adem Yze appears to be more a cheerleader than an AFL senior coach.

With Richmond’s fall from powerhouse to last on the AFL ladder now complete after just two wins in 17 rounds, the honeymoon is over for the first-year coach.

It’s clear Yze is desperate to be liked by his players and is afraid to publicly hold them accountable for unacceptable performances.

View attachment 2045652

The first warning sign of Yze’s soft approach came after Richmond were annihilated by 91 points against the Western Bulldogs in round nine.

After consecutive defeats of 43 points against Melbourne and 54 points to Fremantle, it would have been reasonable for Yze to criticise his players and send a message that meek performances would not be acceptable. Standards need to be set early in a new coaching regime.

Surprisingly, Yze appeared satisfied with his players’ efforts.

“I just spoke to our players about our effort, and I can’t fault our effort. The boys are trying. It’s like they are trying hard ... I’ve said this over and over that we can’t fault the effort; it’s just the execution and our tackle technique,” Yze said post-match.

This struck a concerning tone. Players could believe the coach was happy with their endeavours in a 91-point loss. It was not a shock that this disaster was followed by a season-high 119-point loss to the Brisbane Lions. At half-time, the score was 13 goals to two. The Richmond players had given up.

What did Yze expect after he had lowered the bar a week earlier? He had become a booster – and was slapped in the face for his cheerleading.

Yze’s approach contrasts sharply with that of successful coaches who don’t shy away from demanding the best from their players, even if it makes them unpopular.

The best coaches are respected, not necessarily liked, because they hold their teams to high standards. They push them to maximise their potential. Yze’s apparent fear of alienating his players seems to have created a lack of accountability. The result is Richmond’s dismal standing.

Former New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick won six Super Bowl trophies with a demanding and sometimes brutal coaching style. This approach is detailed by former players in the documentary Dynasty, which explores the highs and lows of the Patriots across a 20-year period.

No matter what the score was, Belichick cared more about the things they were doing poorly than what they were doing well. He never let them get ahead of themselves.
View attachment 2045653

“Most of the coaches in the NFL are coaching football, but he’s coaching warfare,” says former player Donte Stallworth. In a rare recorded team meeting, Belichick lived this theme.

“Now look,” he says, “I’m not saying we are in a war here, but I’m just telling you, understand how one stupid play, one stupid penalty, one mistake, ends it for us all.”

This ruthless style may not resonate with today’s more sensitive generation, but most successful AFL coaches have a hard edge. They are not looking to make friends with their players.

Geelong coach Chris Scott and Sydney’s John Longmire would not dare praise their players’ effort after a 91-point smashing.

Three-time premiership coach Damien Hardwick did not spare his Gold Coast players after the two-point loss to North Melbourne: “It’s my job as a coach to sit there and demand better because at the moment we’re capable of beating the premiership favourites last week and then this week we let ourselves down.”

Hardwick put it all on the table: “I’m angry, to be fair. As a footy club we’ve got to grow the f--- up to be perfectly honest.”

After a 51-point loss to Fremantle in the same round, Yze approach was the polar opposite: “I just spoke to the players around their effort, I couldn’t doubt their effort... We never turned our toes up, even the way we finished the game. I thought we were equal [for] inside 50s and time in the forward half, things like that. I thought we played the right way, even through [there’s] some frustration, but yeah their polish was just too good.”

This suggests the coach is too comfortable with mediocrity.

View attachment 2045654

In another poor look, Yze celebrated a Shai Bolton goal in jubilation with his players on the bench. He is not a supporter. He is the coach and needs to act like one.

The Tigers’ next five seasons will be painful as they rebuild their list.

They need a coach who will drive them hard, hold them accountable, and refuse to accept anything less than their best. They need a coach, not a best friend.

Rebuilding coaches seldom last more than five seasons. Yze has no hope of bucking the trend unless he changes his approach.
Did notice Clarkson copping a bit of the same last year…IMO the crap Hardwick came out with wasn’t for the players or the supporters, I think it’s just another way of him saying he doesn’t have it in him to find another way of “cooking the sausages”.
Like he said at his resignation presser.

So..say, say Yze comes out infront of the playing group after the Freo loss.
There’s :
Cambpell
Blight
Banks
Mcauliff
Brown
Between em 55 games
Say he gets right up in Macintosh’s face and tears him a new on, rips shreds off him. Ron Hitller Barrasi style. “You’ve had 14 possesions..” blah, blah and humiliates him.

That isn’t gonna help those kids or Sonsie, Miller, Kosi, Ryan etc.
We are gonna lose games and we are gonna get pumped…
New players to the AFL system aren’t usually use to losing, they would’ve been in great teams and won heaps of games and flags to probably.
He has to keep em feeling like he believes in them, he has to keep selling it that there’s some positives and they need to keep up the effort.

He can’t tell em their shit because they’re not winning.

Thats the key words.
Nowdays its silence.
The fact that the CEO position requires public interaction should lead to media picking it up though. We can be as tight with information leaks as possible but as soon as there is an interaction outside our 4 walls the game is up.

I had some news from a family friend who is on the coaching staff at the tigers and he stated the he felt Aden E lacks in his leadership and appears to have lost the likes of Dusty who has lost interest and enjoyment of the game and is unlikely to play again this year.
So who is this family friend who apparently is on Yze's coaching staff going to be working for next year cause it's quite obvious it's not going to be at Richmond, and anyway unless you throw up a name i call bullshit.

So who is this family friend who apparently is on Yze's coaching staff going to be working for next year cause it's quite obvious it's not going to be at Richmond, and anyway unless you throw up a name i call bullshit.
How realistic is demanding T51 name names here? Unfair comment.

It’s pretty obvious Yze is struggling, he looks haggard in interviews, speaks like an amateur (he must fix the aahs & ums), and keeps referring to his recent past (who gives a **** about his Melbourne Football club heros, he’s at our club now and needs to utilise our history).

And the irony is he didn’t try and keep Balme who could have helped him.

His game plan ?

Can see him gone after three years.

Last edited:

It’s pretty obvious Yze is struggling, he looks haggard in interviews, speaks like an amateur (he must fix the aahs & ums), and keeps referring to his recent past (who gives a **** about his Melbourne Football club heros, he’s at our club now and needs to utilise our history).

His game plan ?

It's not unfair, put up or shut up i say or it's just another throwaway comment said by those who want to lay the boots in.

Written and authorised by noted click bait artist Kane Cornes and no surprises that it's being taken as gospel by those who would have less idea than Cornes when it comes to knowing what is happening inside the club because it suits their negative narrative.

He raises good points and I dislike much of his commentary.

His game plan ?

Alastair Clarkson says uhm and uh a lot in interviews and he is a 4 time premiership coach.

Means absolutely nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not unfair, put up or shut up i say or it's just another throwaway comment said by those who want to lay the boots in.
At this stage I’m still a supporter of Yze, we all need to allow him space to clean out the deadwood and instigate his own agenda, I’m in agreement with other posters and agree no call can be made for at least three years. I posted information from one of the coaching staff which may or may not be correct but does indicate that not all is right behind the scenes and the end of season review will need to be extensive and look further than the fitness staff

Corn makes an interesting point and maybe Yze is being too soft to get the best out of them.
But on the flip side with all our injuries, would being hard on the left over players be anymore beneficial.
I feel for the prediciment he's in, I mostly judge him on the pressure rating and cohesive gameplan, rather than winning or losing, but with this many injuries it's hard to know how we should be performing.

At this stage I’m still a supporter of Yze, we all need to allow him space to clean out the deadwood and instigate his own agenda, I’m in agreement with other posters and agree no call can be made for at least three years. I posted information from one of the coaching staff which may or may not be correct but does indicate that not all is right behind the scenes and the end of season review will need to be extensive and look further than the fitness staff
A mistake a lot of fans make is to attribute on field results to off field instability, its an easy out so to speak and as for a coaching staff employee blurting out crap, fair to say he could very well know he is out the door and is sprouting shit.

Where i called bullshit is the Dusty crap saying he won't play the rest of the year cause he has lost interest, umm wouldn't be his back that's maybe not going to have him play, i smell employee who has probs been told to look elsewhere and is now sprouting shit.

Good players make good coaches!
images

23601cb52dbd501a99153ea26643d90e

871ef69748b74591298610a763d8e340

Good players make good coaches!
I think it’s actually the opposite
Most of the great coaches I can think of bar A select few were just clubby role players that got selected every week in successful sides players akin to Kmac especially when you look at the more successful modern coaches… Scott Brothers, Hardwick, McRae, Clarkson…

None of them were particularly good players

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back