Welcome to the Bulldogs Joel Freijah

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the time we would be possibly needing him in the middle, is when Bont is out of the middle. By then we'll more than know if he's a suitable big bodied mid replacement.

He will be good anywhere, that time and awareness he has is definitely valuable coming out of the backline or off a wing though.

Surely a wing?

I know its hard for kids to do the type of running they demonstrated in the time trial and apply that to a gruelling full AFL season without breaking down.

But the fact that they CAN do it in the time trial bodes well for Sanders and Friejah to transition to mid and wing roles in the future. Maybe as early as next year for both of them?

2km time trial results at
@westernbulldogs
1st - Bailey Smith
2nd - Ryley Sanders
3rd - Joel Freijah

He doesn’t have the hard edge to be an inside mid. IMO. He reminds me of JJ when he’s around a physical contest, slight turtle back in his shell type.

As a modern day mid, you need outside burst pace and skill, Bont/Pendles type IQ with skill or be a genuine inside bull. Freijah just isn’t any of those. Would be very surprised if it happens.

The comparisons with Williams another poster made is pretty accurate. I also remember having the Williams as a future mid discussion a few years back too.
Don't agree. I think he definitely has a hard edge. Doesn't mind a don't argue. He looks comparable to Bont in terms of speed and burst but his footy IQ has yet to be tested in the helter skelter of the source environment. Pure inside likely not his bag but first receiver and effective defense I can see it.

He looks like So You Think at the yearling sales.

I'd say Freijah will for sure be a really good winger and in time think he's a pretty good shot at being a very good inside mid

I don't know who those who say he lacks a hard edge have been watching? His ability in the clinches has been first rate for a year one player.

What particularly makes me think he has a real shot as an inside mid is the time he seems to have, when he gets the ball in tight the play seems to slow down. That's rare.

I'd say Freijah will for sure be a really good winger and in time think he's a pretty good shot at being a very good inside mid

I don't know who those who say he lacks a hard edge have been watching? His ability in the clinches has been first rate for a year one player.

What particularly makes me think he has a real shot as an inside mid is the time he seems to have, when he gets the ball in tight the play seems to slow down. That's rare.
Max Holmes is the prime example for me of what he can become

He doesn’t have the hard edge to be an inside mid. IMO. He reminds me of JJ when he’s around a physical contest, slight turtle back in his shell type.

As a modern day mid, you need outside burst pace and skill, Bont/Pendles type IQ with skill or be a genuine inside bull. Freijah just isn’t any of those. Would be very surprised if it happens.

The comparisons with Williams another poster made is pretty accurate. I also remember having the Williams as a future mid discussion a few years back too.
This is coming from the guy who said Richards would never make an onballer and should stay at half back.

The game evolves and players evolve each year. Freijah has pace and skill (elite kicking skills) more so then any of our other youngsters so not sure what you have been watching. Freijah has to move at least to the wing next year at a minimum and for me needs time in the middle as well. The more options to run through the middle the better.

Don't agree. I think he definitely has a hard edge. Doesn't mind a don't argue. He looks comparable to Bont in terms of speed and burst but his footy IQ has yet to be tested in the helter skelter of the source environment. Pure inside likely not his bag but first receiver and effective defense I can see it.

Bonts a massive stretch in any area. He’s probably similar in flat line pace, but Bonts awareness of exit points in tight, means he can get to the outside quicker than just his pace allows. Can we honestly say Freijah has that?

He’s a good smart player and playing above most players at this stage of career. He’ll play 200 and probably poll well in a few BnF’s. I think he’s a future A Grader. Just don’t think it’s going to be as a genuine mid.

Been wrong before though as LB pointed out 😂

This is coming from the guy who said Richards would never make an onballer and should stay at half back.

The game evolves and players evolve each year. Freijah has pace and skill (elite kicking skills) more so then any of our other youngsters so not sure what you have been watching. Freijah has to move at least to the wing next year at a minimum and for me needs time in the middle as well. The more options to run through the middle the better.

Pace? What games are you watching LB?

You must be slow as treacle if you consider Freijah pacey.

Bonts a massive stretch in any area. He’s probably similar in flat line pace, but Bonts awareness of exit points in tight, means he can get to the outside quicker than just his pace allows. Can we honestly say Freijah has that?

He’s a good smart player and playing above most players at this stage of career. He’ll play 200 and probably poll well in a few BnF’s. I think he’s a future A Grader. Just don’t think it’s going to be as a genuine mid.

Been wrong before though as LB pointed out 😂
We definitely can't say that Freijah has Bont's awareness around stoppages, and in all likelihood, will never be able to say that.

Doesnt exhibit pure speed in games, but someone posted that he was actually quick when he wanted to be. I struggle to recall any time Ive seen him actually sprint full tilt. Always seems to be cruising at 50-70%

Im reserving judgement - seen plenty of quick players whose legs move a lot faster than their brains - you know the type, they burst for 30m and then turn it over.

Maybe Smokin Joe is the opposite - only runs as fast as he needs to. Despite his apparent lack of pure speed, he is evasive. Maybe we will see more straight line speed from him on a wing as opposed to the hustle and bustle of a defensive role.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone casting doubts on what the ceiling will be on this 18 year old kid is setting themselves up for egg on there face. He just looked better and better each time he took the field, he's competitive far from slow and he's not opposed to physicality, any reference to the contrary is simply wrong.
We got ourselves a fricken beauty and I for one can't wait to see where his talents take him :)

Never saw So You Think as a yearling, but he is probably the most spectacular horse I have ever seen, and I have seen and been involved in plenty !

Good news Freijah goes straight to the breeding barn the day after his 100th game🐎

He’s 18….I reckon he’s going to be a beast - just has that look. Have a look at Bont at 18.This kid could be anything - mid included.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s 18….I reckon he’s going to be a beast - just has that look. Have a look at Bont at 18.This kid could be anything - mid included.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep.

Put aside the fact that he was a pick 45 in the draft, and probably would have debuted at AFL level a bit earlier if it wasn't for the draft position itself ... and just take his on-field performance for what it was.

It was excellent for his age, and puts him on the path of being an outstanding footballer.

Of course 12 games is a limited sample size, but of the game's elite, far more of them played 12 games like Freijah's than they did scratching themselves into the best 22 like every other player in their debut season or two.

He'll naturally fit whatever position is best in time - I'm not to worried about that - just that he could be anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Bulldogs Joel Freijah

Remove this Banner Ad

Back