Welcome to the Club pick 46 Western Bulldogs Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

The kids going to be a player. He is a natural footballer. Some of his quick handballs are off the charts and will be hugely important in our new attacking style. A good quick handball can really help break the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was OK on Saturday, certainly showed glimpses but his disposal efficiency was down, maybe nerves, speed of the game, etc. What I do love is the intent and the fact that he did not seem overawed one bit, took the game on which I love.

Have noticed a few times now in intra-clubs the NAB, that he is more of an outside mid, he does hang back a little bit from going in for the contested clearance. This is alright, and you certainly need outside runners who can use the footy well. We also have the best bottom of the pack player in the league sitting with a prolonged injury, but I think if the little fella is really going to make his mark on the game it really needs to be the in and under ferocious attack style, with contested footy and tackling.

Not having a go at the kid, I love him, just an observation.

I disagree.

His best quality appears to be his hands in traffic. Not an extractor type like Libba or Wallis but as a link man. Ideally a guy like Wallis would shovel it out to him and he'd set up a running Macrae or Bontempelli.

Back his kicking too - he's an 18 year old who hasn't played apart from two NAB challenge games. It'll get up to speed.

CAnQfh8VEAAmh1K.jpg

Love his fearlessness!

He was a class above at every level (even if head and shoulders below).

I think his game will translate to AFL. Its better to be good than big, and the kid can seriously play and he seems the type to work hard. He's gonna make it, guys.

Thanks for everything Caleb. Always a great clubman, right to the end.

192 games
46 goals
All Australian
Charles Sutton Medallist
Premiership Bullgod
Rising Star Nominee

And achieved the rare feat of growing 3cm after his 23rd birthday, after not having grown a centimetre to that time since the day he was drafted. :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the VFL introduced team of the year in 1982 (1985 which they didn't have one for one year), which became the All-Australian, this is the list of players who have both won higher honours as an All-Australian and also won a Charles Sutton medal:

Brian Royal
Doug Hawkins
Andrew Purser
Tony McGuinness
Tony Liberatore
Scott Wynd
Chris Grant
Scott West
Brad Johnson
Luke Darcy
Matthew Boyd
Ryan Griffen