Welcome to the Club pick 46 Western Bulldogs Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

Still even with all his flaws he offered the club more than what Cordy and Redpath do. Possibly even Grant.
Yet everyone willing to sink the boots in when we have guys still on our list that are avoiding similar criticism.

Possibly Redpath but surely Cordy and Grant have not been on the list long enough to have had the opportunity of a red hot go yet !!!!!

Ok just read through this thread, very pleased by the excitement and more importantly acceptance to not write this kid off by you blokes, loving it.

I can't remember who it was that put me onto Caleb, but soon as i saw the highlight reel i was 100% FOR, drafting him. He is an athlete, not just his times, but his movement, his poise, counter balance, proportions, he uses it all to his advantage beautifully. His brain is his greatest asset though, so clever and fast, with real belief in himself.

Add to that his ability to hit his target, he has no flaws, and i mean that imho, NO flaws. his height is an advantage, at the state of the game right now, players are more likely to be around the 190cm mark, below or under it, Caleb is just short enough to turn that into a serious disadvantage, and his pack marking can be taken care of by the 17 others who are taller. The only 'almost' flaw i see is his tendancy to get under the ball when kicking, it has an arc like trajectory which he will need to adjust or be mindful of. the AFL is faster and those kicks can be trouble. SOmeone asked if he could kick left leg, i'm sure he can in a pinch, but i don't see it as a flaw to prefer one leg over the other, he seems to pride himself on accuracy, so that probably negates his off leg because he would rather be accurate then just get rid of it because he has to.

As to the earlier question regarding his ceiling... it is impossible to say, having been shown the AFL ropes earlier then his mates can have any effect from negative, actually lowering his cieling by forcing his development rather then natural personal progression or "enlightenment" thus stunting him, or delaying him in the long run... on the flip side raising it by giving him a headstart and thus fueling his own 'enlightenment" like a Professor being given the answer to a problem, only to have that awaken greater bounds of knowledge he hadn't even considered... or it could have no effect at all and his future is still very much in his own person mental and physical state. There are arguments for all three outcomes... time will tell... but for now, he moves, plays, thinks and creates like a 30yo veteran...

Personally i think he is a certainty to be an AFL player, and i can't help seeing repeating flashes of the future. Calab snatching the ball up, zigzaging and nailing Boyd on the lead, laces out... The Minimum and the Maximum "The MinMax" or the "Maximinimum" could well be the duo that brings us a premiership in time...

I was at training yesterday and was impressed with Daniel. Noticed the above highlighted qualities. If he can apply these at the top level, he gives himself every chance. His work ethic, skills and ability to keep his feet most notable.

He will play more than 10 games next year. Anyone interested in a wager. I have faith in this kid.
I'm half-tempted to take that wager.
Wouldn't bet against him playing 10+ in 2016 though.

Terms potentially negotiable Mofra....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VFL attendance late in the season, 1 can supplied per quarter? Not sure if fixturing means we're pulling the trigger early.

He will play more than 10 games next year. Anyone interested in a wager. I have faith in this kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take that bet and give you less than 3

BUT not even I will bet on a kid that way

I would take that bet and give you less than 3

BUT not even I will bet on a kid that way

MD, are you basing this purely on his height? Because even if he doesn't make it in the long run his skillset will definitely warrant him being trialled in the AFL.

And judging from Steven King's comments after yesterday's training session it is highly likely Daniel will be given a run early. Three games certainly not out of the equation

Last edited:
MD, are you basing this purely on his height? Because even if he doesn't make it in the long run his skillset will definitely warrant him being trialled in the AFL.

And judging from Steven King's comments after yesterday's training session it is highly likely Daniel will be given a run early. Three games certainly not out of the equation

I think he's basing it off being a negative Nancy when it comes to anything

I just think, even if his views on CD turn out to be correct, that to say he'll manage less than three games this year for our current side considering his so-far exemplary showing in the pre-season is a bit rough.

I also disagree with MattDougie's assessment full stop. Having probably seen much more of Caleb at senior level than most here I'd like to think I've got a good read on his abilities. He played some exceptional games this year for South Adelaide, including in a high-intensity final.

No I'm basing this on the kid is in his first year and he would have to be a friggin gun to play ten games.

Like the Hawks Bev will ease the kids in week by week.

Same stands for all the other first year players this is not directed at him alone

I just think, even if his views on CD turn out to be correct, that to say he'll manage less than three games this year for our current side considering his so-far exemplary showing in the pre-season is a bit rough.

I also disagree with MattDougie's assessment full stop. Having probably seen much more of Caleb at senior level than most here I'd like to think I've got a good read on his abilities. He played some exceptional games this year for South Adelaide, including in a high-intensity final.

And again not to rain on your parade but I remmeber watching Christain Howard pre season his first year and his skills and work rate were outstanding.

And all at the club thought the same thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at training yesterday and was impressed with Daniel. Noticed the above highlighted qualities. If he can apply these at the top level, he gives himself every chance. His work ethic, skills and ability to keep his feet most notable.
Glad you mentioned work ethic Turtleman, I knew he had poise and skill but his willingness to run constantly yesterday was brilliant.... I could see why the kid equalled the beep test high at the draft camp he just keeps going. It told me a lot about him...

And again not to rain on your parade but I remmeber watching Christain Howard pre season his first year and his skills and work rate were outstanding.

I hear you MD but this kid aint no Christian Howard.... He has more poise, better vision and better skilled. I do wish he was a yard quicker and will need to improve his core strength which I'm sure will come.

Difference being Caleb Daniel's work before this pre-season.

I was umpiring SANFL footy at the time Christian Howard was drafted and I'd never heard of him. He was just another under 18s player. Not playing and performing at senior level like CD.

No I'm basing this on the kid is in his first year and he would have to be a friggin gun to play ten games.

Like the Hawks Bev will ease the kids in week by week.

Same stands for all the other first year players this is not directed at him alone

I wasn't the one bringing out the 10 game mark. Three or less is an easy mark to pass given where our team is currently at and the murmurs from the club surrounding Caleb Daniel so far.

I'm reluctant to say he'll play 10+, but I'd bet my last dollar he plays Round 1 if he keeps up at this rate.

I'm reluctant to say he'll play 10+, but I'd bet my last dollar he plays Round 1 if he keeps up at this rate.

I'll stick with my Red Faces prediction that he will play a minimum of 13 games - I've also named him in my predicted round 1 team.

I'll probably have a small wager on him for the rising star

Difference being Caleb Daniel's work before this pre-season.

I was umpiring SANFL footy at the time Christian Howard was drafted and I'd never heard of him. He was just another under 18s player. Not playing and performing at senior level like CD.
True

Let's hope your right about him but I doubt any of the first years will okay the majority we already have plenty of youth ahead of them

I'll stick with my Red Faces prediction that he will play a minimum of 13 games - I've also named him in my predicted round 1 team.

I'll probably have a small wager on him for the rising star
He's in my current Round 1 team :)

My Rising Star money is going towards Honeychurch, though (in a shock to everyone on this board ;)).

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Club pick 46 Western Bulldogs Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back