Well done Geelong for finally taking a stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong will just trade him to Freo.

Or another club will pick him up in the draft.

Perhaps even Freo will pick him up and then trade him to us a week before draft occurs.

Endless possibilities.

He will put a price on his head in the draft right? Noone will use a Top 20 pick on him when it takes up cap space as well, especially when he doesn't want to be there and will ask for a trade every year.

Would geelong re-draft him? If he is such a good player, surely you use your top 10 pick next year right?

Do Geelong supporters legitimately believe 20 + 22 + Future 2nd was unders?
Most of us don't believe it was unders, no.

However, given that he is a first-year contracted player, who has set the joint alight then decided to move, there was a desire not to let him go for anything less than an exceptional deal.

He will put a price on his head in the draft right? Noone will use a Top 20 pick on him when it takes up cap space as well, especially when he doesn't want to be there and will ask for a trade every year.

Would geelong re-draft him? If he is such a good player, surely you use your top 10 pick next year right?

Yep, if he entered the draft with a price on his head no one would touch him.

A couple of Geelong fans think he wouldn't last to our first pick but he'd probably last to our second. Freo might pick him with their second pick if it's in the 20s but for a guy who would be in the draft because he doesn't want to play in Victoria and has contract terms nominated it's just too big of a risk for clubs to waste a good draft pick on.

If one of the highly rated SA kids in this year's draft for example played two years in Melbourne or Queensland then ended up back in the draft wanting to return to Adelaide I wouldn't want us wasting a first round pick on him.

Most of us don't believe it was unders, no.

However, given that he is a first-year contracted player, who has set the joint alight then decided to move, there was a desire not to let him go for anything less than an exceptional deal.

It kind of kills the 'WC didn't meet his valuation' narrative if you're basically admitted the valuation wasn't realistic.

I've seen a few people say that you can't go into a shop and buy something that's $10 with $5 but really it's a case of Geelong trying to sell something worth $10 for $20 before the shop closes and hoping WC would pay the premium.

He won’t end up in the draft. Put it this way: If I took your $400,000 house off you and said I will give you $300,000 for it or we take it off you anyway and auction it off, only you can’t have any of the proceeds. Do you take the $300k or go homeless with no money?

Agreed. But we should also have full free agency with no compensation at the end of every season.

People should have the right to choose where they want to work.

You are chosen to play AFL football, draftees make a nomination to be drafted knowing it is a National 18 team professional football competition and you could end up anywhere in the country. if a player doesn't like those rules and odds then don't nominate at all. Simple really. The privilege of becoming an AFL footballer is the remuneration, where else are you going to find a job that could land you a multi million dollar pay packet without spending one day earning a Law or Medical degree? All this by your mid 20's?...If you don't like those rules, find some other employment, don't play Football! Go and get that degree! Open up your own practice in the very same suburb you grew up in....

-Kelly wanting to return home had bugger all to do with family circumstances.

- His self-absorbed partners eyes lit up when she seen the offer put forward by the Eagles.

-It's all come via his incompetent manager and his selfish partner.

-the West Coast Eagles themselves created this mess

-If the family situation was that important he'd have refrained from nominating for the draft and stayed at South Fremantle where he seemed happy.

Tims partner followed Tim across the country away from support with three babies. That is selfless. It is perfectly reasonable of her to want to return, particularly after revelations Geelong offered little or no support and now with supporters attacking her.

As for Tim yes, he could have stayed at South Freo but what an absolute mockery of a system.

Last edited:
It kind of kills the 'WC didn't meet his valuation' narrative if you're basically admitted the valuation wasn't realistic.

I've seen a few people say that you can't go into a shop and buy something that's $10 with $5 but really it's a case of Geelong trying to sell something worth $10 for $20 before the shop closes and hoping WC would pay the premium.
It's more like going into a shop, pointing out something with a NOT FOR SALE sign hung over it, and upon being asked how much, being told it's not for sale, so it'll cost ya.

Geelong will just trade him to Freo.

Or another club will pick him up in the draft.

Perhaps even Freo will pick him up and then trade him to us a week before draft occurs.

Endless possibilities.

None of those will happen.

He will go to West Coast. If he has a great season probably 1st round pick. If he has a good season probably a 2nd round pick.

He won’t end up in the draft. Put it this way: If I took your $400,000 house off you and said I will give you $300,000 for it or we take it off you anyway and auction it off, only you can’t have any of the proceeds. Do you take the $300k or go homeless with no money?
Literally neither side want him in the draft. He'll get done for whatever pick the Eagles had earmarked for him anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its failed this young family. Having said that most clubs would have respected the situation and have resolved the impasse... which is kind of what this thread is about.
Well, it's about half of this thread. It's a bit more complex than that.

The main issue with the draft system, IMO, is that it does fail older draftees. It's built around 18yos - players without kids, usually no serious significant other, no sick parents, etc.

Tims partner followed Tim across the country away from support with three babies. That is selfless. It is perfectly reasonable of her to want to return, particularly after revelations Geelong offered little or no support and now with supporters attacking her.

As for Tim yes, he could have stayed at South Freo but what an absolute mockery of a system.

That is total bollocks! Geelong have one of the best family support groups in the AFL, if not the best, they are well known for it. The facilities, and home support is well acknowledged.

Just one big lie from her in an attempt to get sympathy.

Its failed this young family. Having said that most clubs would have respected the situation and have resolved the impasse... which is kind of what this thread is about.
Again, the system didn't fail his young family at all. He didn't have to enter the draft.

And Geelong fans wonder why Tim Kelly isn't keen on staying.
Young Tim is keen to stay though.

His partner Caitlin however, spins lie after lie. It's not a good look for Tim.

Geelong as a club have done everything they could to support the family situation. She has her own agenda for bending the truth. Sympathy.

So now it's not the family situation as the reason why she wants to return home, it's the issue with supporters. You blokes are in a world of your own over there in the West.

Young Tim is keen to stay though.

His partner Caitlin however, spins lie after lie. It's not a good look for Tim.

Geelong as a club have done everything they could to support the family situation. She has her own agenda for bending the truth. Sympathy.

Do you think berating his partner, and mother of his children, is going to help Tim stay at Geelong?

Do you think berating his partner, and mother of his children, is going to help Tim stay at Geelong?
I'm not sure Tim reads BigFooty. And if someone is going to continue to lie they'll get called out regardless of who they are.

If he had a decent manager none of this would have played out this way. The West Coast fan boi managing his affairs is out of his depth.

Again, the system didn't fail his young family at all. He didn't have to enter the draft.
In which case, I'd argue the system does actually fail him - in so far as it would be a complete waste of his talent.

I think there is a reasonable argument that, more broadly, there is the occasional player who can't travel anywhere across the country in order to pursue a career. It's very much a 1-percent kind of case, but it's there, and to say "well just don't have a football career" is probably over-simplifying it a bit.

In which case, I'd argue the system does actually fail him - in so far as it would be a complete waste of his talent.

I think there is a reasonable argument that, more broadly, there is the occasional player who can't travel anywhere across the country in order to pursue a career. It's very much a 1-percent kind of case, but it's there, and to say "well just don't have a football career" is probably over-simplifying it a bit.
He had the option to play AFL or stay over in the West. He wasn't forced by the system to enter the draft.

I don't buy the last part sorry, that's just too bad.

I'm not sure Tim reads BigFooty. And if someone is going to continue to lie they'll get called out regardless of who they are.

If he had a decent manager none of this would have played out this way. The West Coast fan boi managing his affairs is out of his depth.

It has been well documented that Tim's partner has been abused on social media by Geelong fans.

Do you think that would help his chances of staying on?

If the club offered such minimum support why was the preference to stay at Geelong another year instead of going to Fremantle... nobody can answer that apparently. He doesn't get on with Ross Lyon I've heard. So we have a first year player dictating his choice of outcome but it's not serious enough for him to patch an issue with Fremantle. The more they talk the more obvious how full of shit they are.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Geelong for finally taking a stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back