Status
Not open for further replies.

BLmatt_20

Senior List
May 6, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
just ran a 10:20 in the 3km which to me personally is a good effort from myself i think.

my best before this was 10:45 and i did it at a camp on thursday and only ran a 11:37 :( and thought to myself i should really start busting my guts out so thats what i did today and got that time. its made me realised i can be alot better then what i have been putting in and i have been slack for quite a long time. but knowing i can now get 10:20 if i really tried has put my confidence up alot and am aiming for in the 9's by april :thumbsu:

i was at 9:57 on the bottom of a steep hill that goes for about 20m until the finish line so if i learn to sprint that then i think im a good chance for low 10's and maybe even just in the 9's. can someone please help me out by telling me what they run the 3km time trial on in the draft? a footy field or athletics track etc and if it has any hills?

well ive been told to update u guys on my goal to getting into the afl but mainly the rams this yr and this is my recent acheivement. feedback would be most appreciated :thumbsu:

thanks

just ran a 10:20 in the 3km which to me personally is a good effort from myself i think.

my best before this was 10:45 and i did it at a camp on thursday and only ran a 11:37 :( and thought to myself i should really start busting my guts out so thats what i did today and got that time. its made me realised i can be alot better then what i have been putting in and i have been slack for quite a long time. but knowing i can now get 10:20 if i really tried has put my confidence up alot and am aiming for in the 9's by april :thumbsu:

i was at 9:57 on the bottom of a steep hill that goes for about 20m until the finish line so if i learn to sprint that then i think im a good chance for low 10's and maybe even just in the 9's. can someone please help me out by telling me what they run the 3km time trial on in the draft? a footy field or athletics track etc and if it has any hills?

well ive been told to update u guys on my goal to getting into the afl but mainly the rams this yr and this is my recent acheivement. feedback would be most appreciated :thumbsu:

thanks
Great effort...i think Daniel Cross from the Bulldogs ran the same time for his 3k at princess park?

Great Effort.

can someone please help me out by telling me what they run the 3km time trial on in the draft? a footy field or athletics track etc and if it has any hills?

2007 Draft camp 3K was won by Joel Smouta in 10.23 and 10th place coming in at 10.54. Apparently this was run on grass.

2006 Draft 3K was won by Tim Houlihan in 9.37 with 10th place coming in at 10.36. Apparently this was run on track.

thats a very quick run, good job! If you can do 5kms in 20mins or under your doing a pretty decent pace and you are killing that time so good job! be proud of that mate, thats AFL time

You shouldn't do a 3k time trial with steep hills in the track, thats not accurate. Also, whats your highest representative level? I'm 16 and am in the midst of preseason and all that business. 10.20 is an extremely fast time, i am barely believing you. Most of the AFL players can't get that.

You shouldn't do a 3k time trial with steep hills in the track, thats not accurate. Also, whats your highest representative level? I'm 16 and am in the midst of preseason and all that business. 10.20 is an extremely fast time, i am barely believing you. Most of the AFL players can't get that.

i do a track around my streets and that with hills in because i think that if i get a good time with hills then come to the draft with no hills then i will go even better then. my highest representative level is swans academy. we have that here in NSW and get trained by ppl from the nsw rams etc. i also played in the v/line comp in april last yr.
i am very serious......im sorry that you doubt it and its ur decision to or not :thumbsu:

i also choose to run at about 1 in the afternoon when it is quite hot aswell because it supposedly makes you fitter.

thanks for the replys guys:thumbsu:

It's entirely possible for a 16 year old to be running a 10.20 - Aerobic fitness of that level is easy to achieve for someone who trains heavily.

What you will find is that the fitness of a 16 year old will generally suffer in regards to recovery - The ability to then go again at the same level soon afterwards, or stamina in regards to more intensive activities, such as weight-lifting.

Just running though? It's possible. World Youth athletes run it in under 8 minutes, so 10.20 is possible for a 16 year old who's just a good runner.

i have been running quite alot during pre-season because i think my skills is the strength of my game.
i do 3km monday tuesday (thats now changing cause seniors first grade start training) thursday( changing cause of same reason) and friday.
on a wednesday i do sprint training and then play basketball and have the weekend as rest.

is that too much? am i at a high risk of burning out before season even starts?

i do a track around my streets and that with hills in because i think that if i get a good time with hills then come to the draft with no hills then i will go even better then. my highest representative level is swans academy. we have that here in NSW and get trained by ppl from the nsw rams etc. i also played in the v/line comp in april last yr.
i am very serious......im sorry that you doubt it and its ur decision to or not :thumbsu:

i also choose to run at about 1 in the afternoon when it is quite hot aswell because it supposedly makes you fitter.

thanks for the replys guys:thumbsu:

In QLD we have a Lions academy too. I live in North Queensland and I have represented Townsville three times but have failed to make Queensland Country which is everywhere in Queensland apart from Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast. If you make QLD country you play against the city teams and from that is where the Queensland state team is picked from. Here the Lions academy and QLD are two entirely different programs. So apart from making the Swans academy have you represented NSW? Or played in a sort of "state carnival" where different areas of NSW play against eachother trying to make NSW?

The crows just signed a 15 year old under the NSW scholarship program that runs 3 kms in 9.19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In QLD we have a Lions academy too. I live in North Queensland and I have represented Townsville three times but have failed to make Queensland Country which is everywhere in Queensland apart from Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast. If you make QLD country you play against the city teams and from that is where the Queensland state team is picked from. Here the Lions academy and QLD are two entirely different programs. So apart from making the Swans academy have you represented NSW? Or played in a sort of "state carnival" where different areas of NSW play against eachother trying to make NSW?

yea i made it into a northern nsw team which plays against sydney and canberra etc. in a carnival which is how i got selected into swans academy when i was 14 (we dont have state at 14 yrs old) and i made it into tha northern nsw team again last yr but unfortunantlely missed out on state selection and that is why i am here now telling u that ive trying my hardest in pre-season etc. because i am very determined to make it into the rams this yr for u/16s :D

:thumbsu:That's a good time. You're lucky you live in NSW. If you have some good footy talent, and some good pace, your very good endurance will hold you in good stead to at least catch the eye of a club to be drafted in the NSW Scholarship scheme.

Just make sure your skills are good. An AFL club would much rather be looking at a 1/2 fit 16 year old kid with great skills, rather than a super fit 16 year old with ave skills and ability.

Players like McINtosh from the Roos were extremely unfit when they started with the club, but have now built their fitness. As long as your fitness is where yours is now, you just need some good skills.

Yeh thats a good effort. My best was 10.58 just before Christmas. Seeing as though i have been quite lazy and ate and drunk all the wrong stuff i might be putting on another 20-30 seconds onto my PB when i run another 3km tomorrow afternoon, haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back