News Wellingham traded to Eagles for pick 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
a midfielder whom coach doesnt like? who hasnt had a great year? who didnt even finish top 10 b&F? you think thats worth first rounder?

A midfielder who is well liked and respected by all his team mates, a midfielder who has played in a premiership, a midfielder who averaged 19.2 disposals a game, which I would think is still fairly good for a '5th string' midfielder, averages 2 disposals less a game than Matt Rosa but averages 2 tackles more and more than half a goal a game more.

Hardly a poor player whatsoever, if we were to trade Rosa I'm sure we would ask for a first rounder too.

Start Nicoski and Hill has to work at his defensive side
Ranked 7th at West Coast for tackles this year and his pressure inside F50 was enormous.

I hear what you're saying, 17 is only slightly higher than what we used on spuds like Swift/Stevens/Weedon.

The problem is, the cynical part of me thinks that the fact that Collingwood took less than 2 days of the trade period to agree to it means we've been screwed.
Completely egocentric POV - The exact same logic could be applied in reverse to Collingwood...

I don't think you guys have been screwed at all. He was in our best 22, but with Beams improving so dramatically this year, he wasn't really -needed-. Besides, he wanted to go. Collingwood helped him on his way without being ridiculously demanding. 17 seemed about right, so he's gone your way. Pretty much showing St Kilda how they should have handled the Ball trade a few years ago...

I've seen Wellingham play some amazing footy, such as the game against Melbourne last year when he got 40 possessions and basically single-handedly won the midfield battle with Swan and Pendles not in the side (sure, it was against Melbourne, but still).

I think this is fair for both sides. Could end up bad for either side (we could pick a dud with 17, Wellingham's form could drop away), but for right now, seems about right. You should be fairly happy.

averages 2 disposals less a game than Matt Rosa but averages 2 tackles more and more than half a goal a game more.

Hardly a poor player whatsoever, if we were to trade Rosa I'm sure we would ask for a first rounder too.
Wellingham is a better player than Rosa - Now that you have both and can compare them without bias, you'll come to that same conclusion.

I don't think you guys have been screwed at all. He was in our best 22, but with Beams improving so dramatically this year, he wasn't really -needed-. I've seen him play some amazing footy, such as the game against Melbourne last year when he got 40 possessions and basically single-handedly won the midfield battle with Swan and Pendles not in the side (sure, it was against Melbourne, but still).

I think this is fair for both sides. Could end up bad for either side (we could pick a dud with 17, Wellingham's form could drop away), but for right now, seems about right. You should be fairly happy.

dude, our bottom 5 or 6 players are better than yours. means nothing. its just that your top 5 or 6 is so good. dont dont make it sound like any collingwood player is a superstar.

one game means nothing. Metropolis kicked 7 goals one. doesnt mean he became buddy.

A god deal tbh. A ready made good footballer, for a # that could turn out to be anything. And WC need to strike while our legendary veterans are still playing good football.

I don't think you guys have been screwed at all. He was in our best 22, but with Beams improving so dramatically this year, he wasn't really -needed-. I've seen him play some amazing footy, such as the game against Melbourne last year when he got 40 possessions and basically single-handedly won the midfield battle with Swan and Pendles not in the side (sure, it was against Melbourne, but still).

Agree. It's about right. Wellingham, in all honesty, is a 20-something pick IMO. Slightly overpaid to get him, but not sure if we're gonna land a 20-something pick and Collingwood would probably play hardball about it anyway.

Wondering what the club has on the radar regarding St. Kilda's compo pick for Goddard. Heard Watters on the radio last night talk about the difficulty in negotiating until they know what they're getting, which suggests, given they've traded their first pick for Tom Lee, the Saints are looking for ready made players to get back in contention for a flag sooner rather than later, ie. something like Mitch Brown, Koby Stevens and our 30s pick for Jamie Cripps and the Goddard compo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dude, our bottom 5 or 6 players are better than yours. means nothing. its just that your top 5 or 6 is so good. dont dont make it sound like any collingwood player is a superstar.

one game means nothing. Metropolis kicked 7 goals one. doesnt mean he became buddy.

And pick 17 might not play a single AFL game. Wellingham is still going to walk straight into your best 22 unless he decides to spend the entire off-season eating doughtnuts.

Did not Eddie say that WC needs to offer "substantial compensation"? Substantial means 'a notably large amount'. If Eddie is also saying "fair compensation," his opinion is then no different to those on the Collingwood BF board who overrate their own. Wellingham is a role player. A jack of all trades, master of none, that gets outshone by Rosa when he's played on the wing, and outshone by Masten when played on the HFF. Is also a ways down the pecking order when it comes to being an IM too. An average, solid, role player does not equate to 1st round compensation, especially given the leverage WC hold.

Hopefully i have a pen handy to jot down your thoughts in future.

And pick 17 might not play a single AFL game. Wellingham is still going to walk straight into your best 22 unless he decides to spend the entire off-season eating doughtnuts.

too many exreme hypotheticals. on that analogy, clubs would be throwing their 1st rounders at shit players left right and centre. they dont. so you can shove your hypothetical. i dont see you ever trading a first rounder for McGinnity (who incidently has kicked only 2 less goals than wellingham).

It was pick 17 in the end because we didn't have anything in the early/mid 20s.

If it was overs, it was marginal overs.

I think the trade was done quickly and cleanly because both teams have other trades to worry about.

Win/Win imo. Risk factors considered I feel if anything we come out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back