News Wellingham traded to Eagles for pick 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Collingwood posters are hardly chanting.

The general feeling on their board is that it was a reasonable deal (much like this thread), a few saying they would have preferred a player and then a few claiming its the deal of the century for the Pies and bagging Wellingham as a hack (probably the same posters who were claiming he was a star and we would need Masten + Brown to get the deal done).

Meh we'll know whether we won or not in a few years.

Speculative pick vs a almost 100 game premiership player who played with some of the best midfielders in the comp.

g1349768946441988094.jpg

Meh we'll know whether we won or not in a few years.

Speculative pick vs a almost 100 game premiership player who played with some of the best midfielders in the comp.

what the f*ck has that got to do with it?

only thing that matters is his ability, not all other crap around it.

I think we paid slightly overs considering he wanted to come here. But we didn't have anything else to offer really, unless we mucked around with other trades, so it's a reasonable deal I guess.

At least it was done quickly, now we can try and get the best deal for the others.

This irks me. We have a thread on this board bagging the club for being conservative and not trading. We go after a player work with what we have and succeed, yet now they're being bagged for that?
BigFooty at its finest.

Hopefully for your sake you see him rove packs more and scoring goals from them than his iffy disposal on a lot of occasions and his squibbing. You guys win the trade if you get him to be consistent. I think you guys paid slightly overs. But then I wouldn't want our club to trade for anything less. But I guess you know what you're getting with Sharrod where as with pick 17 we don't know.

This irks me. We have a thread on this board bagging the club for being conservative and not trading. We go after a player work with what we have and succeed, yet now they're being bagged for that?
BigFooty at its finest.
I've got to agree... You guys who are complaining about this deal are being ridiculous. Wellingham is a good player, and pick #17 is a 50-50 shot at best of sustaining a long-term AFL career.

You couldn't have possibly traded anything lesser in value and still ended up with him. Even if you'd had a pick in the early 20s, Collingwood would have been unlikely to agree to a deal for that pick alone.

The fact that some people in this thread thought that they could trade what you guys receive for Koby Stevens for Wellingham, essentially proposing that Wellingham and Stevens have equal trade value, shows how underrated Wellingham is around here.

Hopefully for your sake you see him rove packs more and scoring goals from them than his iffy disposal on a lot of occasions and his squibbing. You guys win the trade if you get him to be consistent. I think you guys paid slightly overs. But then I wouldn't want our club to trade for anything less. But I guess you know what you're getting with Sharrod where as with pick 17 we don't know.
But I thought he was a 'premiership player'? :rolleyes:

But I thought he was a 'premiership player'? :rolleyes:
Just because some posters post that doesn't mean every poster goes by that train of thought. Although most posters are one eyed and don't post objectively about anything. Although I've never been the biggest fan of his, but yeah. Hopefully you do well with the trade!

Without the benefit of hindsight we have paid slightly overs. But as others have said we don't have anything else to offer. At the end of the day we are in the premiership window so going into the draft probably won't help us. It irks me giving that fat headed f*** face Eddie McGuire a break, but the Eagles have done the right thing here.

Let's hope when hindsight reveals itself that this deal is a winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what the f*ck has that got to do with it?

only thing that matters is his ability, not all other crap around it.

Coming through the ranks at Collingwood playing alongside Thomas, Swan and Pendles can't have a negative effect can it?

You learn from players like that.

Just because some posters post that doesn't mean every poster goes by that train of thought. Although most posters are one eyed and don't post objectively about anything. Although I've never been the biggest fan of his, but yeah. Hopefully you do well with the trade!
Yeah I know, I was just making fun of the posters who add 'premiership player' every time they mention his name.

I'm happy with the trade. If it was overs it was by very little, time to move on, deal is done. Wellingham will fit nicely into our squad. We were keen to add pace and we have just done that, we were all bitching and moaning we needed midfield help, we have just added that. There are no guarantees pick 18 would turn into a good player or that someone we may have been interested in would even slide to that pick. It may have been a draft best available situation and either way it wouldn't have strengthened our list for next year.

Most of us think that if injuries go our way next year that top 4 is a real possibility and that a premiership is too, we are trying to win another flag before Kerr, Cox, Glass & Embley retire, not rebuild our list. Wellingham will impress a few complainers next year and if all goes well we will be pushing for a flag. Hardly think we got screwed as some are suggesting.

This now allows us to move forward and find a deal for Stevens without things becoming complicated. St Kilda can't muddy the waters of this trade, so as much as they may want Brown and we may be interested in Cripps, he is now not a priority as we have added another midfielder so any trade for Brown would have to be seriously in our favour, otherwise i expect the Eagles to keep Brown and roll the dice and find another home for Stevens.

Welcome Sharrod, happy to have you at the club and i expect you to train your arse off and improve our team. I'm certain you wanted a role in the midfield, so nose down and bum up, work hard and i shall see you lining up in the middle come round 1 next year.

BigFooty at its finest.

lol I get that feeling too. Gee, hard to satisfy aren't they?

I agree in that maybe we paid slightly overs, but in the end it's only slight and we can get on with other business.

Wellingham is a great addition and hopefully helps in the push towards a premiership.

lol I get that feeling too. Gee, hard to satisfy aren't they?

I agree in that maybe we paid slightly overs, but in the end it's only slight and we can get on with other business.

Wellingham is a great addition and hopefully helps in the push towards a premiership.

Overs by like a bees dick.

Coming through the ranks at Collingwood playing alongside Thomas, Swan and Pendles can't have a negative effect can it?

You learn from players like that.
Then there's the other side of the knife. It's easy to play to your optimum when you're playing in a premium side who are coached well, structured well, and win the ball more times than not.

Many a dime a dozen player have looked a lot better than they really are and then moved to a lesser side. I can give infinite examples.

Given we are pretty handy side ourselves will allow Wellington to hit the ground running. Wouldn't mind seeing what Priddis can do in the WAFL. He'd tear them up I reckon. Prolly win another Sandgroper.

Then there's the other side of the knife. It's easy to play to your optimum when you're playing in a premium side who are coached well, structured well, and win the ball more times than not.

Many a dime a dozen player have looked a lot better than they really are and then moved to a lesser side. I can give infinite examples.

Given we are pretty handy side ourselves will allow Wellington to hit the ground running. Would mind seeing what Priddis can do in the WAFL. He'd tear them up I reckon. Prolly win another Sandgroper.

Always is a different side to the story. We'll know soon enough.

The fact is that Wellingham is better than most who are drafted around ~17. Anyone calling him a hack is either just anti-Collingwood, an angry Collingwood supporter, or hasn't seen much of him play. He has excellent skills, is a smart player, and should add a bit to your midfield depth. I just hope his off field exploits don't get him in trouble over in WA.

My analysis would be you guys paid slight overs for him, but marginal. I only say it is overs because I reckon Collingwood would have taken anything under 30 for him, but considering 17 was your only real option, it is not a bad move.

All the best to Wellingham and West Coast for 2013!

FB: Butler, Glass, Schofield
HB: Waters, MacKenzie, Hurn
C: Wellingham, Kerr, Gaff
HF: LeCras, Darling, Masten
FF: Hill, Kennedy, Cox
R: Naitanui, Shuey, S.Selwood
I/C: Rosa, Embley, Nicoski, Smith

I like the looks of that.

I dunno where Derek Hine rated Darling, but I wonder if he'd have done the Krakouer deal if he knew he'd still be there at Pick 25! You've got to pull the trigger sometimes.

You've got a steal with Pick 17. Wellers has been asked to play predominantly outside on a wing due to our lack of pace, but he's a natural inside midfielder. He may look outside, but he relishes the contest, is tough and reads the ball off the rucks exceedingly well. He's also fast and slippery. He is also laconic looking (runs like a beast though!), and doesn't have the kamikaze fire that someone like Kerr has, but I'd be trying to lift that aspect of the game to become a top notch starting 4 midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back