News Wellingham traded to Eagles for pick 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lets not pretend having out entire established forward line out for the season had any impact at all.

:D

Hill stepped up but LeCras and Kennedy were huge losses.

I'm genuinely excited about next year.

Pearce would have been a good get since he was free and addresses some of our needs but I Beef is younger, more versatile and will definately add to our team.

Bring on 2013!

I'm more intrigued by the fact that Danyle Pearce was available as a Free Agent, who in my opinion is a better player than Sharrod Wellinhgam. We could have picked him up for minus the cost of the first round pick that was used to acquire Wellingham.

It should be interesting to see the performance of both as we'll have a direct comparison moving forward.

Pearce is going to run riot untagged on the expanses of Subicao.

I'm more intrigued by the fact that Danyle Pearce was available as a Free Agent, who in my opinion is a better player than Sharrod Wellinhgam. We could have picked him up for minus the cost of the first round pick that was used to acquire Wellingham.

It should be interesting to see the performance of both as we'll have a direct comparison moving forward.

I was a fan of us chasing Pearce however reports are that he was offered a pretty fat contract by Freo.

I think Pearce is a different player to Wellingham. Yes Pearce would be very suited to Subiaco Oval and if he had good midfielders taking the tag he could run riot however the case for Wellingham over Pearce would be:

1. Younger.
2. Has performed on the big stage.
3. Harder at the ball.
4. More versatile (can play inside/outside, wing/HFF, attacking/tagging).
5. Hipper.

Pearce is going to run riot untagged on the expanses of Subicao.
That's my fear. I've watched a bit of Port Adelaide (being a football fanatic) and they have a wealth of dormant talent there. Pearce was damaging when left unchecked and rarely received midfield protection. Playing behind Mundy and Hill, I believe he's in for a very big season on a ground that will suit his particular style of football.

I was a fan of us chasing Pearce however reports are that he was offered a pretty fat contract by Freo.

I think Pearce is a different player to Wellingham. Yes Pearce would be very suited to Subiaco Oval and if he had good midfielders taking the tag he could run riot however the case for Wellingham over Pearce would be:

1. Younger.
2. Has performed on the big stage.
3. Harder at the ball.
4. More versatile (can play inside/outside, wing/HFF, attacking/tagging).
5. Hipper.
Not that I disagree that an alternative position can be made Spartan, but Wellingham never really stood out to me at Collingwood where Pearce has stood out a number of times through his Port Adelaide career. I see your points and believe you can make a valid case for them.

As a secondary notion to the Pearce contract, I'm sure he got a decent contract, but it's unlikely to be as inflated as reported by the media. The way I look at it is Pearce + contract + first round pick instead of Wellingham + financial wiggle room.

Time will tell.

Not that I disagree that an alternative position can be made Spartan, but Wellingham never really stood out to me at Collingwood where Pearce has stood out a number of times through his Port Adelaide career. I see your points and believe you can make a valid case for them.

As a secondary notion to the Pearce contract, I'm sure he got a decent contract, but it's unlikely to be as inflated as reported by the media. The way I look at it is Pearce + contract + first round pick instead of Wellingham + financial wiggle room.

Time will tell.

Fair points and as I said I was on the Pearce bandwagon especially given that he was free.

It wasn't just the media but Port also came out and said that they couldn't/wouldn't match Freo's offer.

I'm not massively devo about losing pick 17 tbh, sure it would have been nice to keep but I stand by the fact that a ready made best 22 player is of more benefit to us now than a speculative late first round selection.

Fair points and as I said I was on the Pearce bandwagon especially given that he was free.

It wasn't just the media but Port also came out and said that they couldn't/wouldn't match Freo's offer.

I'm not massively devo about losing pick 17 tbh, sure it would have been nice to keep but I stand by the fact that a ready made best 22 player is of more benefit to us now than a speculative late first round selection.
All valid points. I assume West Coast is projecting a Josh Hill-like improvement from Wellingham otherwise pick 17 is a steep price to pay for someone who may not crack your top 6 midfielders.

That's my fear. I've watched a bit of Port Adelaide (being a football fanatic) and they have a wealth of dormant talent there. Pearce was damaging when left unchecked and rarely received midfield protection. Playing behind Mundy and Hill, I believe he's in for a very big season on a ground that will suit his particular style of football.

Time will tell.

Young is a similar player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young is 28 (?) and limited to playing as a winger.

I understand the limitations of the player however, going for someone who qualifies for free agency one of the things to understand is that they will be older however on the plus side there is little cost to the club bar the salary.

I understand the limitations of the player however, going for someone who qualifies for free agency one of the things to understand is that they will be older however on the plus side there is little cost to the club bar the salary.

No doubt, however would Young be in our best 22?

Young isn't just older but limited in the positions he plays. As a winger he would compete against Gaff, Embley and Rosa and wouldn't really be a suitable in the other midfield positions.

Pearce would have been a much better FA target (while he is also predominantly a winger I think he has more of an ability to play through the middle than Young and is also quicker and more skillful) but we were either too slow or the priced himself too high.

I agree with what you are saying. But Pearce is gone. We need to work with what's left. Woosha said we will look to boosting our mid field stocks. Is Wellingham enough?

I would stand out at Port Adelaide.

Dont rate Young tbh, can kick the ball 50-60 but misses more targets than he hits and is very soft.

Rubbish. Anyone of our midfielders would have stood out like the proverbial for Port Adelaide this season.

Your comment here has nothing to do with my post.

Any one of WC's midfielders possibly standing out like the proverbial for Port Adelaide has nothing to do Ebert's ability and your supposed link to Port's fortunes. Just say Shuey went to Port and dominated, yet Port still struggled, by using what you've said about Ebert, Shuey's not much because he didn't lift Port to lofty heights. Individual and team achievements are separate. Ebert may kick arse at Port, but no matter how good he is he's only but one player of 36 on the field. It takes a combined team effort to raise the fortunes of a team, not just one player as you've said, no matter how good that one player is. Just look at the example of G. Ablett Jnr. Is he meh because GC are rubbish? That's why your comment is false.

Are you so sure?

Cox and Kerr have declined in the past couple of years and will continue to. Glass can't be superman defender forever.
Am I sure these guys have another season in them?

Hell, yes.

Bit early to start talking about these guys being over the hill given two of them were AA this season and Kerr was awesome in some hard games.

Stop massaging.

First time I've mentioned it in this thread...?

Still got a bad taste in your mouth from the Megathread I see. Let it go.
I just find it repetitive. We know the midfield needs work - you don't need to give us a little list of bullet-points to make what is the most obvious assertion in the world. Like, wow, this guy's done his research. What a devastating argument! If anyone needs to let it go, it's you, champ. Maybe just assume that everyone here knows the midfield needs work and stop repeating it like you're telling us something.

As for having a bad taste, you were the one left chasing his tail while clutching an empty sack. So I have nothing to bellyache about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back