News Wellingham traded to Eagles for pick 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see the pies accepting anything less that your first round pick for a ready made afl mid fielder who will be in your best 22.

Wellers is not in a strong position as if he tries to go through the draft or psd, he will be snapped up by other clubs.

Just cough up that pick and deal is done
Well we only ended up with pick 29 for Ebert which is laughable so we should be playing hardball to try to keep our first rounder and upgrade our second rounder somehow with Stevens or compo picks etc. Will be interesting come trade week anyway.

Hate his stupid ******* haircut, love how smooth and clean he can look when he is on. My queries come about how often he is actually on though. There's a ton to work with in my opinion, even if he doesn't reach his potential he is already a solid, consistent midfielder. Hopefully the move back home reignites a fire, he seemed content to be the 4th or 5th midfielder at Collingwood.

He is definitely worth our first rounder IMO, people overrate the value of draft picks. If you could pick a bloke of Wellingham's quality at 17 every year I reckon you'd take it and bank it.

Just make it a requirement that he shaves his head before he gets here and he has to break his hipster glasses and urinate on them at the first training. Waters also gets to punch him in the face a few times just because.

Spot on.

Would be a good get for you guys. Guaranteed best 22 for the next 5 years. If you could guarantee that your Pick 17 would do that you'd take him in a heartbeat. He's battled a few niggling injuries over the past 2 years which has affected how often he's on. Very underrated clearance player and has played well in big games for us. Very disappointed he wants to leave because he still has upside.

I'm sure the clubs will get something done that's reasonable.

There are some genuinely distorted views on the value of pick #18 in the draft around here...

Look at the last 10 years of #18 picks:

2011 - Brad McKenzie
2010 - Matthew Watson
2009 - Luke Tapscott
2008 - Luke Shuey
2007 - Alex Rance
2006 - Leroy Jetta
2005 - Max Bailey
2004 - Cameron Wood
2003 - Llane Spaanderman
2002 - Kris Shore

I mean, there's a couple of wins, a couple of average players, but the odds suggest that this pick is nothing to write home about.

Sharrod is a premiership midfielder who's just entering his prime as a player, who fits your needs perfectly, and who is coming from a rival who are still in their prime. While he's out of contract, he's not getting to West Coast unless we trade him to you, so we're not going to get bent over a barrel in this deal - Your first pick alone MAY end up getting the deal done, but that's unders for the player you're getting.

Talk of giving us a 2nd and 3rd rounder, or two 2nd round picks is ridiculous...

It will be interesting to see how we deal with this trade.

We all consider our club to be fair traders, in this situation a Port for instance would settle with the second rounder and tell us to take it or leave it.

ye

Yeah same, never liked him thought he was a good player but is pretty dirty, but iam stoked with this, should be a good pickup for us.
I think it's a bit unfair to call him dirty. He's suprisingly hard at the ball and had one brain snap against a Carlton player...where's the harm in that? I'd advocate more Carlton players being knocked unconscious. Wellingham will make you better and could still improve.

It will be interesting to see how we deal with this trade.

We all consider our club to be fair traders, in this situation a Port for instance would settle with the second rounder and tell us to take it or leave it.
The thing is, the gamble isn't really that extreme - If we don't get a trade done with West Coast, then Sharrod either re-signs with us, or goes to GWS/GC/Melbourne in the PSD, and in that situation, we'd have a pretty good shot at retaining him.

I don't think West Coast are in quite the position of power that some people in this thread are depicting them.

I think it's a bit unfair to call him dirty. He's suprisingly hard at the ball and had one brain snap against a Carlton player...where's the harm in that? I'd advocate more Carlton players being knocked unconscious. Wellingham will make you better and could still improve.

I think its more getting into the oppositions face, things behind the ball that i noticed when you guys played us here last, suppose you could say he's a guy you would want on your team not on the oppositions, so hopefully we can get a fair deal for both clubs:thumbsu: and yes the more carlton players getting knocked out the better;)

Wellingham is a gun. Wins almost all of his one on one contests, is super overhead, runs all day, great speed. Will add a lot to your team.

From a neutral observers standpoint, pick 17 is fair.

As for pick 27 for koby Stevens.......I just don't see us offering that. I don't see that he does anything particularly well. I'm hoping we don't make a play for him at all, but if we do, it would be a 3rd rounder at best I'd suggest.

Don't forget we may need to use our 2nd rounder to take Lachie hunter under the father/son rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are some genuinely distorted views on the value of pick #18 in the draft around here...

Look at the last 10 years of #18 picks:

2011 - Brad McKenzie
2010 - Matthew Watson
2009 - Luke Tapscott
2008 - Luke Shuey
2007 - Alex Rance
2006 - Leroy Jetta
2005 - Max Bailey
2004 - Cameron Wood
2003 - Llane Spaanderman
2002 - Kris Shore

I mean, there's a couple of wins, a couple of average players, but the odds suggest that this pick is nothing to write home about.

Sharrod is a premiership midfielder who's just entering his prime as a player, who fits your needs perfectly, and who is coming from a rival who are still in their prime. While he's out of contract, he's not getting to West Coast unless we trade him to you, so we're not going to get bent over a barrel in this deal - Your first pick alone MAY end up getting the deal done, but that's unders for the player you're getting.

Talk of giving us a 2nd and 3rd rounder, or two 2nd round picks is ridiculous...

Great post, I like the cold hard facts presented like that.

However only because other clubs haven't drafted and developed well at 18, doesn't mean WC will stuff it up.

Food for thought...

The thing is, the gamble isn't really that extreme - If we don't get a trade done with West Coast, then Sharrod either re-signs with us, or goes to GWS/GC/Melbourne in the PSD, and in that situation, we'd have a pretty good shot at retaining him.

I don't think West Coast are in quite the position of power that some people in this thread are depicting them.

& FA means even if they lose Wellingham for nothing if they aren't happy with WC's offer, they can effectively replace Wellingham by getting a FA. This is ignored in discussions here.

Not many players who nominate clubs end up being picked up by a rival club though. They do tend to leave the player alone... Luke Ball for instance, and its not like Sharrod wants to leave for money he genuinely wants to come home so...

Im just interested to see what happens, i am fairly certain we wont try screw you over though ala Port and Ebert.

& FA means even if they lose Wellingham for nothing if they aren't happy with WC's offer, they can effectively replace Wellingham by getting a FA. This is ignored in discussions here.

Which FA would effectively replace Wellingham?

This is true. I think the club is likely to help him out though, it's been our policy in the past. If Collingwood trades for a draft pick they get a stronger bargaining position and 300K less in the cap. He'll end up an Eagle.

Almost posted this same question word for word

Maybe we should forget about Wellingham and get this imaginary FA that's just waiting there ready to be picked up at the drop of a hat.

This is true. I think the club is likely to help him out though, it's been our policy in the past. If Collingwood trades for a draft pick they get a stronger bargaining position and 300K less in the cap. He'll end up an Eagle.
Yeap a win for both clubs and you dont burn a bridge.

Not going to read the first 5 pages because i am lazy but i am really happy to have Wellingham nominate WCE.

In fact very happy.

I think pick 17 is worth it.

Spot on.

Would be a good get for you guys. Guaranteed best 22 for the next 5 years. If you could guarantee that your Pick 17 would do that you'd take him in a heartbeat. He's battled a few niggling injuries over the past 2 years which has affected how often he's on. Very underrated clearance player and has played well in big games for us. Very disappointed he wants to leave because he still has upside.

I'm sure the clubs will get something done that's reasonable.

Wellingham is worth pick 18.

I'm torn on it though.

WC have a history of quickly and efficiently getting a fair deal done.

However we have copped a couple of dud deals lately where players wanting to go home meant our club wasn't adequately compensated.

My feelings ae it would be nice to get the whip hand in a trade once in a while.

However as mentioned, WC don't seem to screw other clubs over too often - so it may simple be pick 17/18 on day 1

Plenty of options for Coll.

They now have the space cap to get a Moloney in FA, could even make a bid for Clinton Young (both FA's). It isn't entirely a matter of 'replacing' Wellingham for a 'like for like'.

Great post, I like the cold hard facts presented like that.

However only because other clubs haven't drafted and developed well at 18, doesn't mean WC will stuff it up.

Food for thought...

It's a fair point and I agree, but it's worth remembering we've picked Swift, Notte, Brown, Weedon and Stevens in the vicinity of that pick over the last 6 years and none of those blokes have set the world on fire. I guess the big responsibility falls to the recruiting guys. If they think the draft runs deep enough and they are confident we can snag another Luke Shuey or Jack Darling, then by all means we should go that path. I think the odds lean more heavily to Wellingham probably being better than the bloke we fish out with our first rounder though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back