2nds Werribee 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Pies board " Pruess bit of a Try Hard hitting Treloar hard".

I say good stuff and not sure why people have issues with contact in a contact sport? Hope he knocked into next Tuesday.
Yeah ummm glad to hear Preuss trying hard...

Will Fordham kicks a goal from up close to grab our second of the day. Score is 2.1.13 to @VFLPies' 2.0.12.

What the hell is happening with Durdin, Nielsen and McKay? I get they are holding McKay back, but VFL should be a fairly realistic expectation.

What the hell is happening with Durdin, Nielsen and McKay? I get they are holding McKay back, but VFL should be a fairly realistic expectation.
Neilsen hasn't done much if any match simulation training, Durdin has done limited match sim. Maybe they are smacking McKay in the gym at the minute and will let him loose in a few weeks.

Neilsen hasn't done much if any match simulation training, Durdin has done limited match sim. Maybe they are smacking McKay in the gym at the minute and will let him loose in a few weeks.

Every player, no matter what level needs match practice, as far as we've been made aware, all 3 are fit.

They are basically resigning all three to starting in the development league. Not great.

Every player, no matter what level needs match practice, as far as we've been made aware, all 3 are fit.

They are basically resigning all three to starting in the development league. Not great.
Why? Its not like we are going to need them AFL ready in the first half of the year so why push it?

Why? Its not like we are going to need them AFL ready in the first half of the year so why push it?

Why? Because all 3 are fairly critical to our future, who's to say we won't need them this year? We are two injuries away in the back line from requiring Durdin or Nielsen. We may need McKay inside of the next 24 months.

McKay is less important, but I don't like the idea of the biggest investment we've made in a key forward in almost 10 years developing in a league the equal of suburban football. All The VFL experience he can pump into these talls before we need them is absolute gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly- I can't see these guys playing much senior footy (NMFC) in 2016.

• Clarke
  • Daw
  • Dumont
  • Durdin
  • Fordham
  • Hibberd
  • McKay
  • McKenzie
  • Mountford
  • Nielson
  • Pruess
  • Ray
  • Tippett
  • Vickers-Willis
  • Wagner

Which leaves a core selection group by my reckoning 29 players. Considering you only need 22 per match.

Will say it again, we're looking to replace retiring players over the next two seasons with guys ready for the rigours of AFL footy. And there will be tailored programs for each and everyone of them. And clearly today's match wasn't deemed necessary for some of those developing players.

From the looks of it, they aren't injured.

I reckon they should be playing.
If the medicos reckon they should be totally ready to go before they play then so be it. Long term i am sure its for the best.

The development of those three in particular would be geared toward 2017 onwards. There's not a snowflakes chance in hell that any of them are playing seniors in 2016.

They're all crucial pieces of the future. Which is why none will be exposed before they are ready. I know we all want to see them. We will soon enough.

What are we exposing them to? The might of Collingwoods VFL listed players? They have 3 AFL listed players playing, most of the guys playing will be playing suburban football this year, Collingwood VFL doesn't have a reserves.

Durdin, Nielsen - they are coming off major injuries, but the club has been spruiking them as fit. Fair enough, I can understand if they aren't 100% ready.

McKay, id be interested to see what they think he's currently capable of then. If not this level.

Nah I agree. We should definitely be taking the advice of people on BF on who should be playing and managing their workloads over our fitness and development staff. If someone on BF says they should be playing without knowing anything about the programs the players are on and where they're at in their return from injury then it must be true.

Nah I agree. We should definitely be taking the advice of people on BF on who should be playing and managing their workloads over our fitness and development staff. If someone on BF says they should be playing without knowing anything about the programs the players are on and where they're at in their return from injury then it must be true.

Surely we are allowed to discuss it? Just ignore the fact 3 of our top draft picks haven't played a single second at any level this year?

Surely we are allowed to discuss it? Just ignore the fact 3 of our top draft picks haven't played a single second at any level this year?
Sure, but suggesting you know better than the fitness and development staff is unbecoming. I know you mentioned Durdin and Nielsen's injuries but I would have thought that it's pretty obvious that they're being carefully managed back to full fitness. I wouldn't expect Nielsen to play in the VFL until about a month into the season and I'm not sure where Durdin is at in his recovery. Not sure on McKay but I'm comfortable if the development staff want to ease him into his transition to professional football.\

Personally, I have no problem with the club easing those 3 in. As others have said, Durdin & Nielsen are coming off serious injuries. And let's not forget had he been born only 7 days later McKay would have been eligible for the 2016 draft. He's essentially almost a year younger than the other draftees (2 in Hibberd's case). Plenty of time, no need to rush them in.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Werribee 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back