Werribee v Box Hill Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

ben.carbonaro said:
Corrected report to reflect your comment on Cam Wight Footyman, yes he did drive me home today but we didn't really talk footy much when heading back to Sunbury.
It appears you have built up some sort of friendship with Cam.......Does this mean you analysis of Wight is biased?

GOALden Hawk said:
From my perspective Birss and Griffen were clearly the 2 best Bulldogs players. Murphy got a lot of it, but quite a few cheap kicks - I reckon there are still a few in front of him. Still, pretty handy to have blokes like that in the 2's.

Werribee's best player by a mile was Salim Hassan - this guy is a gun. So courageous, quick, can play forward or midfield. Just a bit small.

Darcey kicked 5 but he cheated out the back for a lot of them. He can be rookie listed next year, but I think he needs more tricks.

Nayna still can't kick, and Tim Walsh looks miles off it for mine.

I know that you keep a keen interest on the young ones Golden and your draft comments are generally on the mark.

After seeing him play on Sunday do you think that Williams looks the goods?

scooter600x said:
McGuinness played his best game in ages as well. Spent the first half on the HBF before going forward and kicked twp goals. One bad blunder kicking across goal and missed his target but otherwise excellent.

Good news

desipura said:
It appears you have built up some sort of friendship with Cam.......Does this mean you analysis of Wight is biased?

No, not at all we have mates with each other since we were 15 or 16 so even before he was drafted onto the Bulldogs list.

ben.carbonaro said:
Today was a special day, with our captain Travis Robertson playing his 100th game for Werribee.

Rawlings- played at chb all day, plenty of long bombs outside defensive 50 and actually kicked straight. Playing down back is a better position for him in my opinion because it allows him more room to move and not have to worry about kicking accuracy. Thumping long kicks towards the middle of the ground are an ability of his I don't think the Bulldogs have fully utilised yet.

Street- continued to do well in the ruck and looks like my comments with regards to his ground skills have been heard, as he showed a remarkable improvement today. His kicking was of a good standard and was afraid to use the handballs when attempting to break out of packs. Only needs to keep improving his grounds skills and could got the nod over Bandy when an opportunity opens for another big man in the AFL side.

Bandy- played forward today, booting the single goal but did rotate with Street in the ruck. His man ruck duties were mainly boundary throw ins in the forward 50. His height suggests he is better suited to being a tall up forward, which eases the pressure on Street which means he (Street) can also be used in a defensive role as running tall defender.

B.Murphy- played in the centre today, acting as rover to Street and was serviceable although possibly allowing him some time as a crumbing forward may have meant less stoppages inside the centre square. Teamed well with Griffin in the middle.

Griffin- played in the centre today and got plenty of the ball and was unlucky to be dropped from AFL side but needs time to develop and shouldn't be pressured to do too much in his first year on the Bulldogs list.

Wight- played on the wing, have not seem Cam play in this role before and will be interested to see how he plays in his position in future games.

Williams- played down back again today and performed extremely well, getting used to the pace and made very few if any defensive blunders which sometimes have been heavily scrutinised in previous weeks.

Koops- had a quiet day today and was not as flashy as in previous weeks. Played in defence and did a good job running with as well containg Holland and Little, both Hawthorn listed players. With Ed Darcy now providing spark up forward, this might give Koops an opportunity to play down back more.

Birss- played half forward flank today, kicked a single but also had a run on the ball and teamed well with the onball brigade. All he needs to do know is string some games together for the AFL side.

Faulkner- played on a forward flank but didn't get much of a touch although did produce some excellent runs down the wing with some thumping long bombs. With his pace, he is better suited to a midfield role or as a small running forward type.

Walsh- didn't really have a look at him again today, but did a few good things but wasn't that consistant. He needs to be able to string together some consistant VFL senior performances before being in line to make his senior debut.

Awesome effort Ben, thanks again for the insight into the Bulldog Werribee players performances.

Number 2 1961 said:
I know that you keep a keen interest on the young ones Golden and your draft comments are generally on the mark.

After seeing him play on Sunday do you think that Williams looks the goods?

I still think he was a massive risk for pick 6, but it's too early to say. Not many other talls have done much yet. It's a pretty big risk to be taking so early, but Scott Clayton's got the guts to do it.

It was purely a speculative pick - there was no way he was the 6th best player based on performances in underage competitions. But he has more potential than just about anyone else from last year bar the top 5 in front of him.

Thanks for the reports guys, its great to see birsyboy played well, hopefully hes in the team this week, i want to hold my sign up :D . Good to see a few others play good games as well. Im spewing i missed trav robbos 100th, oh well. Werribee still umbeaten wooohooo.

Scooter and fellow Roosters. You are amazingly quick to bag Walsh amongst other youngsters without having any appreciation for the game at the top level (this includes you Ben). He has been playing extremely well at FB, a position that is not familiar to him, and has kept all opponents quiet that he has played on this year. Not a great game on Sunday but certainly not a disaster. Please refrain from making derogatory comments in future. You will all probably be wearing Walsh's number on your backs in two years time whilst sitting in the cheersquad eating pies.

The BC said:
Scooter and fellow Roosters. You are amazingly quick to bag Walsh amongst other youngsters without having any appreciation for the game at the top level (this includes you Ben). He has been playing extremely well at FB, a position that is not familiar to him, and has kept all opponents quiet that he has played on this year. Not a great game on Sunday but certainly not a disaster. Please refrain from making derogatory comments in future. You will all probably be wearing Walsh's number on your backs in two years time whilst sitting in the cheersquad eating pies.

Not me... #17 will be displayed across my back!

The BC said:
Welcome to BigFooty, BC.

What part of my report on Walsh did you take exception to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The BC said:

Never seen him play - just going off reports here (live in Sydney).

Have heard reports that the club really rates him, but why do you?

BYW, hope you're right, and welcome to BigFooty.

The BC said:

You are right, nobody should be Walsh bashing before he has even had a seniors game. The club could have already played him at some stage for a feel but the club must feel he is unique and has plenty to offer so are waiting for him to develop himself physically then let him burst onto the scene knowing he is already raring to go in the big time.

Poptart said:
Did Ed Darcy just play forward or did he go into the midfield & Sal Hassan, how did you think he went today & do you think both may be a chance to be drafted by the Dogs?

Sal Hassan played in a back pocket on the hawks Kristian Height who is an excellent player. Thought Sal gave Height a bit of a touch up and showed heaps of dash. Not sure on Hassan's age but you would think if he could keep displaying performances like that he could definitely be drafted. Just because he is playing at Werribee doesn't mean the doggies have first crack at him!

Sal is 23 and was a rookie listed player at Port Adelaide last year and was promoted when Matthew Primus was injured.

Unfortunately, the coaching staff at the Power couldn't find a spot forim which must of been pretty frustrating. Evam his outstanding SANFL form with West Adelaide couldn't get him a look in to play an AFL game or two.

He on the player of the year with the SA Football Budget.

Kooley said:
Just because he is playing at Werribee doesn't mean the doggies have first crack at him!

I didn't say that Kooley, i was saying would the doggies look at drafting them, if they had a chance after their early form. I know Essendon have been keeping an eye on Darcy. Recruiters can pencil in names to be drafted or Rookie drafted only to have other teams picking them up with earlier picks, i know how the draft works mate.

ive heard that darcy will be picked up in the draft for sure hope he goes to the dogs
id say he would be about a pick 40 to 60 range pick
a bit like eddie betts who was picked up in pre season draft

Hi Ben

Any idea who Edward Darcy would actually like to play for if he gets drafted?

I know Essendon are sniffing around, but it would be good if he wanted to come to us as his first choice.

How did he get to the Bees anyway? - did he pick them to get closer to the Bulldogs or am I reading too much into this ..? :confused:

Cheers - Pete

Pete,
I don't really have much of an idea about how Ed came to us, am guessing Steve Koops might have had something to do with it.

Essendon are showing interest, as he played VFL for them when he was done in Victoria back in 2002 the same year he was awarded the Michael Long Scholarship.

It would be good if the Bulldogs did draft him as a mature age player and also he could stay at Werribee, he has become a bit of a cult figure down at the club. Rightly so, he is just magic when he gets hold the ball and dodges several players before he kicks a goal.

mackem said:
Looks like Wayde Skipper is playing 2 games this weekend.
nah skipper is only playing for the dogs this week so is walsh and wright there only playing for the dogs this week and ray is also playing for tne dogs this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Werribee v Box Hill Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back