Under Age West Australian Junior Talent 2025 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Rodriguez is a star.

I foresee a future in 2025 filled with a lot of low res WAFL/Colts footage for me.
I wish Sam Swadling, Marcus Cassidy, Judd Marcello and a few others were given an opportunity. I think WA deserved that with their 2025 group. But that doesn't seem to be the way things are allowed to work and it's incredibly frustrating.

Truly the top thirty 2025 WA players on the list are pretty good, if not very good.

Thanks for your support mate. I will certainly be making more requests next season. I didn't this season with the 2024 group because I'm not sure there is enough talent to justify it - although it turned out better than I thought it would and I possibly could have been a little more positive.

If anyone needs confirmation how much talent their is the 2025 list, note that All-Australian Basil Hart (PT) is currently ranked 19 and that's not a knock on him. It's just that there is a lot of competition for spots.

If anyone needs confirmation how much talent their is the 2025 list, note that All-Australian Basil Hart (PT) is currently ranked 19 and that's not a knock on him. It's just that there is a lot of competition for spots.
You have a ton more knowledge on the 2025 crop than I have, but I was completely baffled Sam Swaddling wasn't in the Futures game. He seems like a clear first round talent to me at this stage.

Yeah but it would appear that WA players who didn't make their state 18's squad as a below ager aren't considered.

The same rule doesn't apply for players from the Coates Talent League.

Disheartening and it's not even hidden from plain sight.

Yeah but it would appear that WA players who didn't make their state 18's squad as a below ager aren't considered.

The same rule doesn't apply for players from the Coates Talent League.

Disheartening and it's not even hidden from plain sight.
Sure they weren't just injured? Top prospects from other states didn't play either.

Why is it that Victorians on this site have more respect for the WA players coming through than the so called gurus in the media?

Thank goodness for this site.

I'll be gutted if WA players don't get noticed in 2025.

3 times out of 5, Vic are going to have the best players in any given year. That's obvious but when WA, Allies or SA does in those other two years, let's be honourable and acknowledge it and that does happen on BF but not so much in the media.

Last edited:
Futbolista, love your work. A few questions on 2025 crop:
  • Rodriguez: Futures game highlights look great, great skill, size and run. What's his production like? And is he a contested ball winner, or more second possession player from stoppage? As of today, is he a top 3-5 talent (i.e. in WCE draft range for 2025)?
  • Curtin: do you see him more as a def or fwd? Seems his brother hasn't found his best spot yet -do you expect Cody is a more clear key position player than daniel (rather than a possible mid or flanker)
  • Banfield: What are his strengths & weaknesses? Where do you see his best position?

Brand new video from noobermensch. This one features Cody Curtin (CL) playing in the futures game on the weekend.

Cody is still quite raw - perhaps not as smooth and compact as older brother Dan but he has more agression and refuses to give up in contests whether in the air or on the ground.

He can also swing forward with his long reach, 197cm frame and strong hands and bag goals as demonstrated late in the colts season when he kicked 6 on two occasions.

noobermensch has many great player in focus videos on his youtube page

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Futbolista, love your work. A few questions on 2025 crop:
  • Rodriguez: Futures game highlights look great, great skill, size and run. What's his production like? And is he a contested ball winner, or more second possession player from stoppage? As of today, is he a top 3-5 talent (i.e. in WCE draft range for 2025)?
  • Curtin: do you see him more as a def or fwd? Seems his brother hasn't found his best spot yet -do you expect Cody is a more clear key position player than daniel (rather than a possible mid or flanker)
  • Banfield: What are his strengths & weaknesses? Where do you see his best position?
Rodriguez: His output and production is first rate. You can rely on him to accumulate when he plays in the midfield which he always does for Souths and he loves the contested stuff but if he doesn't get first hands on it he will provide the handpass outlet. Understandably, he was only able to spend limited time mid in the futures game so as to give as many players as possible an opportunity to play where they might normally. His numbers are very good at colts level for a below ager. When I was looking at some highlights I thought to myself - he isn't a million miles away from Dyson Sharp in size, strength, movement.

Curtin: I have him number 1 for WA currently because I think tall utility players are harder to come across than mids. His upside is enormous as he's still quite raw and gangly although even in the space of six months I've noticed him gaining more co-ordination and compactness. I think Cody is genuine key position and I hope they use him up forward and down back for as long as possible depending on team needs and opposition strengths. His telescopic arms and strong hands make him a tempting forward option but teams need tall defenders as well I guess. A great competitor also. A bit more mungrel in him than Dan.

Banfield: He has quiet games now and then but seems to step up in important games and do important things and I find that intriguing. In fairness it's understandable for a below ager in the WAFL colts where teams are allowed as many as 7 overagers. The strength and experience gap is quite large. I like him up forward at the moment. He plays much taller than his advertised 188cm and I reckon he will grow a bit more. Having said that, what team doesn't want a tall outside wingman who can link up play and provide some run and carry. He may get a run in the centre square occasionally for Claremont next year. Most of the A-grade players get a trial there at some stage in the colts even if it's just for a week or two.

Last edited:
Rodriguez: His output and production is first rate. You can rely on him to accumulate when he plays in the midfield which he always does for Souths and he loves the contested stuff but if he doesn't get first hands on it he will provide the handpass outlet. Understandably, he was only able to spend limited time mid in the futures game so as to give as many players as possible an opportunity to play where they might normally. His numbers are very good at colts level for a below ager. When I was looking at some highlights I thought to myself - he isn't a million miles away from Dyson Sharp in size, strength, movement.

Curtin: I have him number 1 for WA currently because I think tall utility players are harder to come across than mids. His upside is enormous as he's still quite raw and gangly although even in the space of six months I've noticed him gaining more co-ordination and compactness. I think Cody is genuine key position and I hope they use him up forward and down back for as long as possible depending on team needs and opposition strengths. His telescopic arms and strong hands make him a tempting forward option but teams need tall defenders as well I guess. A great competitor also. A bit more mungrel in him than Dan.

Banfield: He has quiet games now and then but seems to step up in important games and do important things and I find that intriguing. In fairness it's understandable for a below ager in the WAFL colts where teams are allowed as many as 7 overagers. The strength and experience gap is quite large. I like him up forward at the moment. He plays much taller than his advertised 188cm and I reckon he will grow a bit more. Having said that, what team doesn't want a tall outside wingman who can link up play and provide some run and carry. He may get a run in the centre square occasionally for Claremont next year. Most of the A-grade players get a trial there at some stage in the colts even if it's just for a week or two.
Thankyou kindly. Rodriguez's assets makes it seem like he'll be at the very very pointy end

Thanks to noobermensch we get to see the game Sam Swadling (WP) played in round 19 against top opposition in Claremont. He is a class player. Simple as that and should have been part of the futures game this year. But you decide!

Check out all noobermensch player in focus videos on his youtube channel. It's just a matter of clicking on the youtube icon on the video and it takes you straight to his youtube page. I actually prefer to watch the vids on youtube with a full screen.

ROYAL EAGLE

Last edited:
Western Australia 2024/25 summer squad

* = Train on/development

Robert Farmer (CL) 2008 *
Cody Curtin (CL) 2007
Luke Hallett (EP) 2007
Harvey Spawton-Guy (WP) 2008
Angus Abbonizio (S) 2009 *
Jake Caton (EP) 2007
Dale Sutherland (P) 2007
Matthew Becker (PT) 2007
Jai Debono (SD) 2008
Rydn Rae Anthonysz (S) 2007
Judd Marcello (WP) 2007
Jonah Klemke (WP) 2007
Toby Whan (SF) 2007
Damien Newry (CL) 2008 *
Blake Kelly (SD) 2007
Koby Evans (P) 2007
Harley Cummings (SD) 2007
Hudson Walker (S) 2007
Jacob Kee (CL) 2009 *
Lucas Robinson (SF) 2008
Cooper Clark (P) 2007
Fred Rodriguez (SF) 2007
Jadd Hill (P) 2007
Basil Hart (PT) 2007
Garrison Kenh (EP) 2008
Elijah Dennis (CL) 2008
Kael Wallace (EP) 2007
Joshua Nomlatyu (EF) 2007
Benji Van Rooyen (CL) 2008
Lucas Ravenhill (CL) 2006 +
Lachlan McGlade (EP) 2008 *
Riaz Mohammad (EF) 2007
Koby LeCras (WP) 2008
Wesley Walley (S) 2007
Oscar Willis (CL) 2007
Tylah Williams (SD) 2007
Thatcher Simmons (S) 2008
Jayden Clarke (P) 2008
Leo Steed (SD) 2008
Charlie Banfield (CL) 2007
Louis Gaulter (PT) 2007
Sam Swadling (WP) 2007
Cooper Ramsay (EF) 2007
Matthew Petagna (EP) 2007
Mitchell Stirling (PT) 2008
Zac Zilioli (P) 2007
Axel Walsh (EP) 2009 *
Heath Wilson (SF) 2008

Notable absentees
From the 2007 DOB list: Marcus Cassidy (EP), Ivan Starr (SF), Taj Longmuir (SF), Luke Carrello (EF), Darcy Montgomery (S), Jake Boniwell (EF), Rhys Hards (WP), Kaiden Summerell (EF)

From 2008 DOB list: Kye Ormerod (EF), Joshua Nathan (EF)

** Will Malajczuk (CL) may have comittments with the Australian U/19 cricket squad

Last edited:
Western Australia 2024/25 summer squad

* = Train on/development

Robert Farmer (CL) 2008 *
Cody Curtin (CL) 2007
Luke Hallett (EP) 2007
Harvey Spawton-Guy (WP) 2008
Angus Abbonizio (S) 2009 *
Jake Caton (EP) 2007
Dale Sutherland (P) 2007
Matthew Becker (PT) 2007
Jai Debono (SD) 2008
Rydn Rae Anthonysz (S) 2007
Judd Marcello (WP) 2007
Jonah Klemke (WP) 2007
Toby Whan (SF) 2007
Damien Newry (CL) 2008 *
Blake Kelly (SD) 2007
Koby Evans (P) 2007
Harley Cummings (SD) 2007
Hudson Walker (S) 2007
Jacob Kee (CL) 2009 *
Lucas Robinson (SF) 2008
Cooper Clark (P) 2007
Fred Rodriguez (SF) 2007
Jadd Hill (P) 2007
Basil Hart (PT) 2007
Garrison Kenh (EP) 2008
Elijah Dennis (CL) 2008
Kael Wallace (EP) 2007
Joshua Nomlatyu (EF) 2007
Benji Van Rooyen (CL) 2008
Lucas Ravenhill (CL) 2006 +
Lachlan McGlade (EP) 2008 *
Riaz Mohammad (EF) 2007
Koby LeCras (WP) 2008
Wesley Walley (S) 2007
Oscar Willis (CL) 2007
Tylah Williams (SD) 2007
Thatcher Simmons (S) 2008
Jayden Clarke (P) 2008
Leo Steed (SD) 2008
Charlie Banfield (CL) 2007
Louis Gaulter (PT) 2007
Sam Swadling (WP) 2007
Cooper Ramsay (EF) 2007
Matthew Petagna (EP) 2007
Mitchell Stirling (PT) 2008
Zac Zilioli (P) 2007
Axel Walsh (EP) 2009 *
Heath Wilson (SF) 2008

Notable absentees
From the 2007 DOB list: Marcus Cassidy (EP), Ivan Starr (SF), Taj Longmuir (SF), Luke Carrello (EF), Darcy Montgomery (S), Jake Boniwell (EF), Rhys Hards (WP), Kaiden Summerell (EF)

From 2008 DOB list: Kye Ormerod (EF), Joshua Nathan (EF)

** Will Malajczuk (CL) may have comittments with the Australian U/19 cricket squad
So what do people think of the WA squad? Of course there will be changes/additions etc but how does it look?

So what do people think of the WA squad? Of course there will be changes/additions etc but how does it look?
No expert, but surprised Montgomery not in the squad. Mercurial sort that knows where the goals are. Pleased Nomlatyu been selected, talented tall, who showed snippets of his potential and athleticism for EF this year.

Squad looks extremely strong but i can’t understand the reasoning for so many 2008’s and some 2009’s. There years will come in the future, but many talented 2007’s are missing out. Quite a few consistent players that played majority colts level miss out on a spot due to the selections speculative opinions on 2008’s players just due to their selection in the state 16’s side.

Cassidy, Longmuir, Montgomery and Ormerod should be there, WA Selectors doing their own thing again, but maybe those players dropped off a bit this season?

Taj Longmuir was more a longshot, but with his dad in the system and being a part of the successful u16s team and being in the top 8 or so in ths team, I thought he was worth a shout, especially as FS to Frem

Marcus Cassidy was a real leader for WA in the midfield good height and size, maybe he is out if favour or form?

Darcy Montgomery was a crafty flexible KPF with raw potential, that I thought could develop into a quality KPF

I have heard Ormerod was someone to look out for in the future and was keen to see him tested.

Last edited:
Cassidy, Longmuir, Montgomery and Ormerod should be there, WA Selectors doing their own thing again, but maybe those players dropped off a bit this season?

Taj Longmuir was more a longshot, but with his dad in the system and being a part of the successful u16s team and being in the top 8 or so in ths team, I thought he was worth a shout, especially as FS to Frem

Marcus Cassidy was a real leader for WA in the midfield good height and size, maybe he is out if favour or form?

Darcy Montgomery was a crafty flexible KPF with raw potential, that I thought could develop into a quality KPF

I have heard Ormerod was someone to look out for in the future and was keen to see him tested.
I thought Cassidy was good everytime he played for EP, although I didn't see much of his PSA games.

I actually thought it was an obvious choice to have him in the top 10. At somewhere between 187-190cm who plays mid/fwd, I thought he was the AFL prototype that scouts are on the search for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Under Age West Australian Junior Talent 2025 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back