West Coast Eagles Assistant Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

A.Selwood as a coach? ..i mean you have to wonder.

He's a development coach. No reason he can't do that.

Adam was more successful player and on field leader that his twin Troy - who is now a respected assistant at Geelong. Why should there be any doubt about Adam?

He's a development coach. No reason he can't do that.

Adam was more successful player and on field leader that his twin Troy - who is now a respected assistant at Geelong. Why should there be any doubt about Adam?

same logic that superstar players must be good coaches.

In relation to Bassett, North offered him a gig at 160k/year which he was going to take I think, but then they halved the offer to 80k and he didn't want it. Has young kids so wouldn't move without good coin. We could offer him 250-300k and he'd have to seriously consider it

In relation to Bassett, North offered him a gig at 160k/year which he was going to take I think, but then they halved the offer to 80k and he didn't want it. Has young kids so wouldn't move without good coin. We could offer him 250-300k and he'd have to seriously consider it

If he was going to move for 160k wouldn't we offer the same? Why would we almost double it?

While I can acknowledge we have some holes in our list,
I feel our real problems was our game plan and the communication in how we educated our players to follow it.

It seems Sydney, hawks and freo have solid game plans and every player, young and old are well drilled in how to follow it.

It makes life easier as a player to know exactly what his job is on the field. Whether they are in front, behind, need to slow momentum etc. when everyone knows their role, everything just runs smoother.

I feel we have the list to be thereabouts, heck we finished 5th then 4th the years before with the similar list, many names who now how 2 years more development and experience.

As individuals many if our players lead categories as among the best in the AFL. Hurn at the start of the year as among the best backs in the rankings, EMac was all australian. Kennedy led the Coleman much of the year. Nic Nat's ruck stats were the best in the league when he came in. We seem to have the talent, even if it's just on paper at this stage.

The fact as a rich club we have had a mass exodus from a coaching point of view without any plans or steps in place.

Woosha was always borderline, but as a business for us to not have settled knowledge that Teague was leaving, knowing if Burns didn't get the top job he was bound to leave etc.

The fact we havnt thought and planned ahead enough for a smooth transition for our coaching staff, the area I feel we are most vulnerable is kind of alarming and I see it as bad management from the top.

Imagine if BHP or Woodside had 4-5 head blokes take off all at once and then spent the next few months scrambling to fill holes while other companies had the jump on the best replacement talent out there for themselves.

If he was going to move for 160k wouldn't we offer the same? Why would we almost double it?

To make it too good to refuse, i haven't heard anything about him wanting to go to Perth previously, but Melbourne yes. He also has 2 premierships now and didn't have the second one before the North offer was there. I do see your point though too..

To make it too good to refuse, i haven't heard anything about him wanting to go to Perth previously, but Melbourne yes. He also has 2 premierships now and didn't have the second one before the North offer was there. I do see your point though too..

It's a SANFL premiership. That doesn't add 100k + onto your value.

If he was willing to go to North for 160k he would be more than willing to come to us for the same.

The fact as a rich club we have had a mass exodus from a coaching point of view without any plans or steps in place.

Woosha was always borderline, but as a business for us to not have settled knowledge that Teague was leaving, knowing if Burns didn't get the top job he was bound to leave etc.

The fact we havnt thought and planned ahead enough for a smooth transition for our coaching staff, the area I feel we are most vulnerable is kind of alarming and I see it as bad management from the top.

Imagine if BHP or Woodside had 4-5 head blokes take off all at once and then spent the next few months scrambling to fill holes while other companies had the jump on the best replacement talent out there for themselves.
It's pretty poor, we're not going to replace Walsh's spot either according to the CEO (or chairman, can't remember).

I suspect a lot of time during next season will be focused on sounding out guys and getting a much stronger coaching department for 2015. Just poor time and personal management from us to lose so many at a crucial point for those kind of staff, right at trade and draft month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am in favour of a clean out. I can not see how we can highly value any of last seasons coaches. We had no strategy, out mids were our outstanding weakness and our defence collapsed under modern attacking tactics. But we lament the loss of Walsh, Burns and Teague.

kath.jpg

Adam Simpson
Brady Rawlings
Jaymie Graham
Adam Selwood

All appointed to join

Troy Longmuir
Gavin Bell
Adrian Hickmott

who have stayed on

Meanwhile we've lost

Worsfold
Burns
Walsh
Teague
Eastaugh

Thats a lot of departing coaching experience that thus far has been replaced by pretty green personnel. With still another 2, maybe 3, appointments to be made we do really need to try and find someone with a decent level of experience if possible

same logic that superstar players must be good coaches.

I didn't say he would be a good coach - but there's nothing to say he won't be.

Writing him off as a coach because he underperformed in his last year is just as bad logic. The original post inferred that you 'have to wonder' about him being appointed a coach - based on what?

There's no reason to question his appointment, any more than any ever 'first year assistant/ development / etc coach. Everyone has a first year, and Adam has been part of leadership groups for years as a player.

I didn't say he would be a good coach - but there's nothing to say he won't be.

Writing him off as a coach because he underperformed in his last year is just as bad logic. The original post inferred that you 'have to wonder' about him being appointed a coach - based on what?

There's no reason to question his appointment, any more than any ever 'first year assistant/ development / etc coach. Everyone has a first year, and Adam has been part of leadership groups for years as a player.

He was agreeing with you.

Adam Simpson
Brady Rawlings
Jaymie Graham
Adam Selwood

All appointed to join

Troy Longmuir
Gavin Bell
Adrian Hickmott

who have stayed on

Meanwhile we've lost

Worsfold
Burns
Walsh
Teague
Eastaugh

Thats a lot of departing coaching experience that thus far has been replaced by pretty green personnel. With still another 2, maybe 3, appointments to be made we do really need to try and find someone with a decent level of experience if possible

Keep in mind hints are that we aren't replacing Walsh's role (Obviously Simmo's confident with his tactical nous), and are aiming to beef up our development department (Similar to Hawthorn who maintain several development staff in addition to a senior coaching staff).

Bell's Head of Development, so Hickmott (Who has done well with the Defensive cattle IMO), Selwood (Unofficial WAFL liaison with East Perth, a la Cam Bruce with Hawthorn/Box Hill) and Jaymie Graham will all work there.

Simpson's running the senior coaching list, so I can only imagine that he and Longmuir will be constants in the lines (Longmuir running the forward line).

The mysterious thing is where Rawlings is placed, given his recruitment/development background, but it seems he is being forecast into a line coaching role (Midfield or Defense, it seems), which is fine.

I'd wager that rather than replace Walsh, we'll grab an established assistant coach as a Senior Assistant, instead of a Innovations/Strategies coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles Assistant Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back