Opinion West Coast should have a Melbourne base for road trips to ease travel burden.

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca81

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2012
Maylands
AFL Club
West Coast
Ive thought about this for a while and wonder what everybody else thinks about it. In the NBA teams have road trips where they are away for 2 weeks and play consecutive away games to cut down on flight time and kms travelled.

We could have a base in Melbourne that would feature housing and training facilities. This doesnt mean we have to build them from the ground up, but make deals with already existing structures and businesses over in Melbourne and rent them for 7 months each year. Id like to think the cost of living, training and renting over in Melbourne for 2 weeks at a time, 4 times a year, would be offset by the reduction in flight expenses for 25 players. And whatever the difference is could be afforded by our club which is quite wealthy.

We could have provisions for training and recovery over there, and play up to 3 games away in one go, while spending only 14-17 days away. The benefit of this would see the Eagles only traverse the country 4 times each year, instead of every 2nd week. It would also reduce the impact of 6 day breaks whether they are at home or away.

In season 2011 the Eagles travelled a total of 54,000 kilometres because of the simplistic and archaic Home/away/Home/away format. The fixture ive drawn up below with blocks of away games followed by blocks of home games would see that distance halved to approximately 25,000 kms. Ive tried to keep the fixture somewhat realistic with trips to Brisbane, Adelaide, Geelong and Launceston included, whilst playing the hard teams twice like Hawthorn, Fremantle, Richmond, Adelaide and Geelong.

Id like to think the players longevity and careers would benefit from the shorter amount of travel, and allow them to use their time more effectively than wasting it in the air and lining up and arrival and departure lounges.

Here is the sample fixture for 2016 I put together:

Eagles%20proposed%20road%20trip%20plan.jpg

Thoughts?

It all hinges on the AFL's willingness to adopt a basketball style stretch of road games, then balanced out by an equal number of consecutive home games. I'm pretty confident to say that won't happen, because of the logistics of having however many Melbourne teams on road stands at the same time (meaning the non vics are at home). But then what do you do when the remaining Vic teams need to go interstate for a long stretch?

The difference in the NBA is that cities have one team each, and each has their own venue (barring the Clippers and Lakers sharing the state and Staples center). Until the competition is more evenly spread in terms of teams per state, or until every team has their own venue, it's pretty unlikely.

Conceptually to reduce travel concerns I'm 100% on board.

• Banned
It all hinges on the AFL's willingness to adopt a basketball style stretch of road games, then balanced out by an equal number of consecutive home games. I'm pretty confident to say that won't happen, because of the logistics of having however many Melbourne teams on road stands at the same time (meaning the non vics are at home). But then what do you do when the remaining Vic teams need to go interstate for a long stretch?

The difference in the NBA is that cities have one team each, and each has their own venue (barring the Clippers and Lakers sharing the state and Staples center). Until the competition is more evenly spread in terms of teams per state, or until every team has their own venue, it's pretty unlikely.

Conceptually to reduce travel concerns I'm 100% on board.
but it wont mean the Victorian teams have to play stretches on the road. It wont impact them at all if done properly. I wont go through and draw up the entire fixture for all 18 teams, but the Eagles and Dockers are the only 2 teams that require this sort of arrangement being on the other side of the country. The other 16 teams wont have to do any stretches of away games if organised correctly.

but it wont mean the Victorian teams have to play stretches on the road. It wont impact them at all if done properly.
I see, so you're saying the interstate teams get long home/road stands but the Vics travel, already being balanced by having 1000 teams in the state, is already low enough to not need addressing. If they could fixture it that way then yeah it makes a lot of sense, minimises pretty much all of the ill effects of flying to and from Perth every other week. Would be totally on board, but bet some Victorian flogs would find a problem with it.

Would it be harder to retain and attract players if the interstate teams spend two and a half weeks away from home on occassion?

If we ignore the boys will be boys in a different town having urges, getting one day off with the AFL boyfriend /husband is hard enough when they sleep all preaseason and can barely walk after a game.

The family side will cause problems.

• Banned
Would it be harder to retain and attract players if the interstate teams spend two and a half weeks away from home on occassion?

If we ignore the boys will be boys in a different town having urges, getting one day off with the AFL boyfriend /husband is hard enough when they sleep all preaseason and can barely walk after a game.

The family side will cause problems.
Its only 2 weeks. And its only 4 times per year. If the NBA teams can handle it im sure the Eagles and Dockers could manage it too. No doubt both clubs could consult with big clubs in the US and have advisors on how to manage the arrangement.

If we wanted bigger accommodation for families to join we could probably do it. Whats to stop the Eagles and Dockers sharing the Melbourne based facilties and the associated costs. Besides, the players might enjoy getting away from the Perth fishbowl and not even being in the paper a few times each year.

Its only 2 weeks. And its only 4 times per year. If the NBA teams can handle it im sure the Eagles and Dockers could manage it too. No doubt both clubs could consult with big clubs in the US and have advisors on how to manage the arrangement.

If we wanted bigger accommodation for families to join we could probably do it. Whats to stop the Eagles and Dockers sharing the Melbourne based facilties and the associated costs. Besides, the players might enjoy getting away from the Perth fishbowl and not even being in the paper a few times each year.
I couldn't get time off work for it.

Remember the NBA guys get paid much much more.

I'm not saying your idea is wrong or bad, just bringing up an issue :)

• Banned
I couldn't get time off work for it.

Remember the NBA guys get paid much much more.

I'm not saying your idea is wrong or bad, just bringing up an issue :)
yeah no worries :)

It would have pros and cons obviously. But as far as WAGS go, not having the boyfriend/hubby for 2 weeks would be offset by having him for 4 weeks in a row uninterrupted. Cricket players could also be consulted about the best ways to plan and manage the road trips.

It would have pros and cons obviously. But as far as WAGS go, not having the boyfriend/hubby for 2 weeks would be offset by having him for 4 weeks in a row uninterrupted. Cricket players could also be consulted about the best ways to plan and manage the road trips.
Is the competition teams in Vic going to get their players at home for months too and away for three days every six weeks? They will find it easier to retain the family men against WA contract offers

Is the competition teams in Vic going to get their players at home for months too and away for three days every six weeks? They will find it easier to retain the family men against WA contract offers
they already do ;)

But the usual home/away/home/away format for the other 16 clubs wouldnt be interrupted

I don't think it would hurt to split it up - Say 2x3 week road trips per season, 4x1 away game per season. If the games went Friday-Saturday-Sunday then the team would leave Wedneday and head back on the Sunday 18 days later.

It would definitely be worth at least trialling one season with 1x3 week road trip first and see how the players feel.

There is no reason it can't be worked into the draw.

The AFL and WA would want a game each weekend at the new stadium, though (even Subi if it happened that fast). On the weeks we play 3 straight rounds in Vic, who is playing at home?

Its a huge leg up to Freo if they get a bank of home games, and a disadvantage to them if they also have to do 3 straight in Vic without the facilities we have

Eagles should buy a private jet, then lease it to Freo, Glory and Wildcats and any other WA sporting teams that need it when we're not using it. Could customise it with better seating arrangements (like leg room) and other recovery tactics.

Of course there'd be a risk of Freo players shitting in an on-board microwave or fridge (not maliciously, purely because they don't know any better), but it'd be worth the risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL and WA would want a game each weekend at the new stadium, though (even Subi if it happened that fast). On the weeks we play 3 straight rounds in Vic, who is playing at home?

Its a huge leg up to Freo if they get a bank of home games, and a disadvantage to them if they also have to do 3 straight in Vic without the facilities we have
If it were to be implemented freo would have the same arrangement otherwise it makes no sense. You would just alternate between the eagles and dockers being at home for three week stretches.

We could start by asking Warnie.

I like the idea but I'd like to see the customised jet idea first. If we are doing it to prolong playing careers, better manage injuries and win more, the jet (especially one that flies at low altitudes) would be number one on the list.

If it were to be implemented freo would have the same arrangement otherwise it makes no sense. You would just alternate between the eagles and dockers being at home for three week stretches.
Yeah exactly. It would be an arrangement between the 2 WA clubs.

Too complicated. The more you think about it, the more it becomes a burden. It is only a 4 hours trip and is only 2 hours difference in time zone. The best way to deal with that is to mentally prepared for "win at all venue"

We could start by asking Warnie.

I like the idea but I'd like to see the customised jet idea first. If we are doing it to prolong playing careers, better manage injuries and win more, the jet (especially one that flies at low altitudes) would be number one on the list.
How much would a jet cost?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion West Coast should have a Melbourne base for road trips to ease travel burden.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back